Specs on Ford, Chevy, Dodge

timbuktu

I'm toying around with the idea of upgrading my '06 F-350 PS with a new 350/3500 dually. I've been playing around on all the big three's websites, edmunds.com, and consumer reports. There's some towing specs available on the above mentioned sites, but its taking a lot digging to find the info. On Edmunds and consumer reports there isn't any info on the new later model '11 Dodge HO Cummins. I really want to compare the three brands' towing capabilities when it comes to 4 door, long bed, dually, 4x4, diesel, w/ auto tranny, but am having a heck of a time getting the info. On Dodge's website it says it can tow 22,700lbs, while Ford is only 16,000lbs for the same truck, and Chevy's website doesn't seem to let me select a diesel to get any info on...uggggg! I have to be missing something. Anyone know of a better website they can direct me to or have the most up to date info on hp/torque, towing and payload capacity, etc? Thanks!

NOTE: I've read previous posts where it gets pretty heated in debating which brand is better, but this thread is in no way intended to stir such a debate again. Just looking for hard numbers to compare. As always, I look forward to your replies.

rebootsemi

I'm toying around with the idea of upgrading my '06 F-350 PS with a new 350/3500 dually. I've been playing around on all the big three's websites, edmunds.com, and consumer reports. There's some towing specs available on the above mentioned sites, but its taking a lot digging to find the info. On Edmunds and consumer reports there isn't any info on the new later model '11 Dodge HO Cummins. I really want to compare the three brands' towing capabilities when it comes to 4 door, long bed, dually, 4x4, diesel, w/ auto tranny, but am having a heck of a time getting the info. On Dodge's website it says it can tow 22,700lbs, while Ford is only 16,000lbs for the same truck, and Chevy's website doesn't seem to let me select a diesel to get any info on...uggggg! I have to be missing something. Anyone know of a better website they can direct me to or have the most up to date info on hp/torque, towing and payload capacity, etc? Thanks!

NOTE: I've read previous posts where it gets pretty heated in debating which brand is better, but this thread is in no way intended to stir such a debate again. Just looking for hard numbers to compare. As always, I look forward to your replies.

Try this link, seems to have some pretty good info: We are planning on trading in our 07 Ram 2500 for a 11 HO 2500.
http://http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicles-ratings.shtml

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The Ford F250/350 PS auto 4x4 SRW is rated at 16,000 LBS towing a 5th wheel. The 350 DRW is rated at 20,300-21,700 lbs depending on rear end. The F-450 is 24,400 LBS. The Dodge 3500 DRW auto Cummins is rated at 16700 lbs. According to a dealer I spoke with last weekend the HO Cummins will be on the lots in June and have a combined truck trailer rating of 30,000 lbs. I drove both the Ford and Dodge and ended up buying the F-450 today. Go to the Ford web site and click on trucks, then super duty, specs, below the truck photos is a row of tabs that has all the info you are looking for. Same thing with Dodge. Good luck with your search.

timbuktu

Thanks for the info y'all. To rebootsemi - if you haven't bought yet, check out http://www.davesmith.com/index.htm. They are in Kellogg, ID, but are by far the cheapest dealer around. I bought '05 2500 Cummins from them back in 2005 and it was $10K cheaper than anywhere else I found.

GOTTOYS

I've been waiting for the new Ram specs to come out. It's getting to the point where the towing numbers are getting staggering. I would just see which one has the best deal, which one I like to drive the best and go from there. I bet anything you buy is going to be capable of towing most trailers at this point....Now it's just a matter of how much $$$ do you want to spend?? I'd take any one of them and be happy....Don

timbuktu

So far in comparing prices, it appears that the RAM is over $10K cheaper than Ford and Chevy. Next step, go test drive and see how I like it.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
In Billings MT last Saturday the "comparably" equipped Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins was just under $5,000.00 less than the Ford F-350 DRW PS. The Dodge dealer told me if I wanted to wait until June for the HO it would add about $1,000.00 to the price.

rebootsemi

The new HO cummins has the same hp 350 but they re-tune the computer to make all of the torque where we need it. It now has 800 ft.lbs. @ 1600 rpm, adding about 40 hp at that rpm. I've been looking around and the Ram is about 10K lower in price, just depends on what you are happy with and that fits the budget.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Here is a tow rating chart for Chevy http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/en/overview/Silverado-HD-Charts.pdf, right off their website ...scroll down and it gives you ratings for conventional (TT) towing and 5th wheel towing.

Just bought a 2011 3500HD 2WD DRW Diesel (Big Dooley)..we have a GCWR of 29,200 lbs, can tow a TT weighing 16,500 and a 5th wheel weighing 21,500. Best towing truck we've ever own, even beats the Kodiak hands down...we're getting 17 mpg hwy, 14-15 city and averaging 11.5 towing...couldn't be much happier!!

hoefler

Contact all three manufactures and request a sale brochure for the truck you are interested in. You can do it from their web site by email.

pegmikef

Ditto on that send off for brochures. I know when you request them from ford on line they have always included a coupon good for five hundred to seven fifty towards the purchase. This in addition to any specials at the dealer. I kind of imagine the other manufacturers do something similar. Good Luck.

Gaffer

That $10,000 would buy you 2,500 gallons of diesel @ $4.00. That would work out to 27,500 towing miles @ 11 mpg. Sweet!

lwmcguir

If you are going to keep the Truck for several years, buy the one you like, don't go by the Press or let a couple of hundred pounds on a rating chart make the decision. Dollars make sense but again if you are going to keep it and factor in the trade in value then the numbers are pretty darn close.

That is why we drive nothing but Fords and in the foreseeable future will continue to do so.