Remembering the Small Stuff

floridarandy

As part of spring cleaning I pulled the heater anode. If a picture is worth 1000 words...

Attachments

• P4242294.jpg
    P4242294.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 167

jbeletti

Good reminder Randy. And for those who need it, here's a How-To article on replacing the anode rod.

Jim B

branson4020

Icantre Member
That rod actually doesn't look too bad. It's going away just like it's supposed to. Could probably get another season out of it.

rick_debbie_gallant

That rod actually doesn't look too bad. It's going away just like it's supposed to. Could probably get another season out of it.

I agree. It dont look bad at all. it is still going away like it is supposed to. It would not hurt to once a month empty and rinse out the tank though.
I believe that when the soft part is all gone it is used up.

floridarandy

ha...for $10 its been replaced. i replace em at the start of every season so there's never a chance of forgeting. it seems most times when i try and stretch too far the failure costs me more than the preventive maintenance would have.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine's been through two summer seasons of use and still looks almost new. Must be the filtration system.

floridarandy

Mine's been through two summer seasons of use and still looks almost new. Must be the filtration system.

I'm curious, do you leave the anode installed and water in the tank between trips? On our previous camper I pulled the anode after each trip and stuffed a piece of fiberglass screen in the hole to keep the bugs out. Anode's last a long time.

jpajax

When I replace mine I put one that has a drain in the the end so I can drain it when I leave the camp ground.

floridarandy

Have never thought to look for an anode rod with a drain valve. Who was your source?

Dick

Dick - never had heard of one with drain but here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11533-Anode-Aluminum-Heater/dp/B0024ECD2I

In the past I've simply unscrewed the non/drain variety. I'd be concerned that the drain model would clog. As I'm sure you've seen there can be a lot of sediment in the tank and simply removing it allows that to flush out easily. Just remember the wad of screening material (non-metalic) to keep the bugs out!

Hope you guys are doing good.

Randy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm curious, do you leave the anode installed and water in the tank between trips? On our previous camper I pulled the anode after each trip and stuffed a piece of fiberglass screen in the hole to keep the bugs out. Anode's last a long time.

I stick it in at the beginning of the season, before we head north. It stays in the tank, with water in the tank, all summer. I don't drain the tank in between stays at the CG, I just turn off the water heater. At the end of the season, I pull the anode out when I winterize. I don't put antifreeze in the water heater (use the bypass valves). This will be the third season with the same anode rod.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I stick it in at the beginning of the season, before we head north. It stays in the tank, with water in the tank, all summer. I don't drain the tank in between stays at the CG, I just turn off the water heater. At the end of the season, I pull the anode out when I winterize. I don't put antifreeze in the water heater (use the bypass valves). This will be the third season with the same anode rod.

I do the same thing...pull it to winterize, reinstall when dewinterizing. I am more forgetful about adding water to the battery! :eek: