Comparison of Models

ncf1108

Well I hope I don't get labeled as a complainer but here is the deal. I went to a Giant RV dealership here in Southern California to look at the Heartland Fifth-wheel models. After a few hours of talking, I left thinking that the Greystone was for me. Then after doing some additional reading, I decided to build an Excel Spreadsheet to compare options, features and all that stuff. I printed each of the floor plans and specs for the Sundance, Sundance XLT and then the Greystone. Well I was beside myself, I thought that the Greystone was suppose to be far superior then then Sundance models, but now i'm so confused. It would be nice to see some sort of spreadsheet from Heartland that compares apples to apples so to speak. Seems to me that would be an easy thing to accomplish and understand. I tried uploading my spreadsheet so one can see how confusing it is as you look at the options and features as they are listed on the web site
HEEEEEELP

ncf1108

Well I looked at the page and I guess I'm missing what your seeing. When I look at the Mid profile models, my common sense tells me that if one reads from left to right, the more the model is to the right, the better built and the more options that model should have. I tried utlilizing the slider feature at the right of the page you sent me, and I'm still in the same boat. I'll just wait until I get a return phone call from Heatland and will go back out to look at the fifth wheels again this weekend. If I went by what the salesperson gave me for information verbally, I'd be all screwed and would have purchased the wrong model.

GOTTOYS

When we looked at them the Greystone looked like a much fancier version of a Sundance. I think the overall basic construction is about the same. Greystone and Big Country are very similar except the BC has a higher profile...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well I looked at the page and I guess I'm missing what your seeing. When I look at the Mid profile models, my common sense tells me that if one reads from left to right, the more the model is to the right, the better built and the more options that model should have. I tried utlilizing the slider feature at the right of the page you sent me, and I'm still in the same boat. I'll just wait until I get a return phone call from Heatland and will go back out to look at the fifth wheels again this weekend. If I went by what the salesperson gave me for information verbally, I'd be all screwed and would have purchased the wrong model.

Then look at the section above it. Landmark is their top line, then Bighorn, then Big Country, followed by Elk Ridge. The same follows for the mid-profile section. If I remember correctly, North Trail is positioned as an entry-level 5th wheel, which puts Greystone the next level up from it.

J

Jim_Hickey

Sundance and Greystone are built on the same line in the same plant. Both are equally built products. The Greystone has a few more appointments that set itself apart from Sundance like Grey fiberglass, glazed cherry or two toned mocha cabinets vs oak or cherry (no glaze); Greystone has raised panel cabinets throughout as well. Greystone uses different furniture and fabric vs. Sundance as well.
The key point is both units are constructed the same way. Both are very good quality built units. What you have to decide is which look to you like better...traditional or contemporary.
Thank you!

MC9

My neighbor (across the street) traded is Airstream for a Greystone. I spent time helping out with the usual questions. The big diff. was the Greystone was at least 4 in. taller. Seemed quite nice.

ncf1108

Jim
Thanks, that was very helpful information you just provided. I think I'll be driving up to Montclair or Murrieta and take another gander at both models.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I guess I missed all the fireworks. I've been out of the loop.

ncf1108,
We are shoppers. We found Heartland to be the best product out there. Good choice, no matter which model you choose.
This may not work for you, but I have one suggestion. Unless you are restricted by storage space for a RV, or your TV capability, I would consider a full profile model.
My previous fiver was a mid-profile. I bought it because it seemed more "manageable" at the time.
I'm an average sized guy, around 6 ft. I kept that "middie" for two years.
Although it was a great trailer, after hitting my head in the bedroom about 50 times, I knew it had to go.
We are very happy with our full profile Bighorn. JMHO. Good luck, Trace

I'm proud to say Bob is my fearless leader, as well. Go Bob!

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Trace thats the reason we did not buy a Montana. I could not walk to the closet without hitting my head. Even with issues we have with our Horn...I would still buy another HL coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geodude

Ours is a mid-profile 5er and I am 6'2", DW is 5'5". So she gets the side of the bed closest to the front of the camper since she has plenty of headroom, and with smaller feet she can walk around that side of the bed easily. She then also gets the shelves for books, etc. On "my" side I get plenty of headroom and space for my bigger feet. So far the few times I've gone over to the closet it hasn't been a problem.

I'm hoping the more sloping front of the Greystone and the lower profile help combat high fuel prices a bit, but to be honest I was parked between two Big Horns at the dealer and where I thought the Greystone would look shorter it really didn't look any shorter at all, so who knows. The shapes were different, was all.