water leak---how is construction on top of slide?

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We continue to have a water leak on the left side (from inside) of the bed. I think??? I have narrowed it down??. Near the top of the slide there is a piece of molding, the roof material goes into this molding, but no calking on the top of the molding. There is caulk on the bottom of the molding. The caulking (on the bottom) stops as it enters near the rubber, I have water leaking out of the molding, just inside the rubber and running down the slide to the bottom and then into the coach. I have checked the other slides and they all seem to be made the same, no caulking on the top of the molding (where the roof material goes in) and then caulk on the bottom up to the edge where the rubber is.
How is water getting into the piece of molding and then leaking out where there is no caulk? If I just caulk this I will still have water getting into this molding somehow?
Suggestions for fixing this are appreciated.
al

Attachments

• 100_0991.jpg
    100_0991.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 63

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I see that may be your problem. If your slide or entire rig is a bit off level the water can run along the top of that piece and into the coach. I had a similar leak and found that if I put a dab of caulk on the top of that molding, just under the top rubber flap, that would create a dam and stop the water from going farther into the coach. The water would just hit the dam and run down the side of the slide.
If you can't visualize what I said, let me know and I will look around for a picture of what I did.

Peace
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyKayakers

What Dave said makes sense. I had the same situation on the bedroom slide but it was the bottom trim giving me fits. Instead of caulk , I used Ticky Tack on the top edge of the trim directly under the rubber slide seal. You could also take that piece of trim off to see if there's water, or evidence of water, inside. If there is, put it back together and caulk the top also.

aatauses

Thanks,
It appears that water is somehow getting into the molding (from the top??) and then following the molding until it can get out (where there is no caulk on the bottom). All the slides appear to be made the same, with no caulk on the top, so just can't seem to figure why this one is getting water inside it and how???
Will take your advice and take the molding off and see what i can figure from there. I previously had put a small "dam" on this slide near the bottom.
al