RVing for Dummies

bluebirdsnfur

I know Al and I are making it way more difficult :mad: than it needs to be so we just signed up for the Goshen Rally and would sure appreciate some 'hands on tutoring' for hooking up, disconnecting and leveling. That's providing we get there in one piece! :rolleyes:

Seriously....it's like watching Lucy and Ricky Ricardo!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
There will be plenty of us at the rally to help you with that. There is also a large parking lot to practice in if you like.

See you at the rally,
Mark

brianharrison

Hi Deb and Al.

If you are looking for written informtion (some prefer doing!), there are some detailed checklists that can be used to make one for yourselves. Sometimes these "checklists" help those new to RVing work through all the steps and remove the stress of first timing and forgetting something...

Heres one link I just googled; others may chime in with their own suggestions..... --> http://www.rvuniversity.com/staticpages/index.php/Campground_Setup_101

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
DebnAl, just let us know when you plan to arrive so we can have our refreshments and lawn chairs set up and ready for the show. Just kidding. :):):)
Like Mark said there will be plenty of people there and ready to assist you. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.
See you there.

Peace
Dave

1231ChaseB

The best thing that could happen to you guy's is if all the good hearted people would get away from you and let you do it by yourself's ! That way there are no nerve's involved with people watching you ! I know what I'm doing when I'm setting up and a group of people, bless their heart's, telling me different thing's kinda make's it worse !
chaseb

kkamshop

Where in Indiana are you Deb & Al? We live near Columbus, but we are hosting a camping rally in Bristol (near Goshen) the weekend of May 13-14. We'd be happy to give you some hands-on advice if you want to attend.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anyone who says they didn't struggle with it the first time or two, or more, probably has Pinocchio for a middle name. Even so, now that we know, we can set up some grandstands and sell tickets for the show. Maybe call it "Parking with the Stars."

bluebirdsnfur

Thanks Dave, I'm sure it will be a 3 ring circus! Looking forward to some much needed assistance tho.

1231ChaseB, I guess we'll just have to handle all the 'gaukers and the talkers".;)

kkamshop, oooh that would be nice! I will see what we have going on. I'll run that by 'Ricky". We are in Valparaiso.

JohnDar, hmmmm, yes our circus needs a clown.

Jellystone

DebnAl, just let us know when you plan to arrive so we can have our refreshments and lawn chairs set up and ready for the show. Just kidding. :):):)

Dave

Dave, your joke about that really makes me laugh. Reminds me of the first time I ever backed a 5th wheel into a campsite. I always did fine backing in our previous 27' travel trailer toy hauler, but backing in a 37' toy hauler 5th wheel was completely different! Before my show was over, there were about 12 golf carts stopped with folks drinking their beer and smiling. People at nearby sites, turned their chairs around or moved them for a better view of the " backing in " show. One guy was grilling at his site and moved his grill, while cooking, to get a better view of the scene. And, there were 4 people (2 by the truck windows--2 by lovely wife behind camper) all giving different steering directions to me. What a magical moment to remember :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Deb, the best advise I can give is. Use your mirrors to back in. DO NOT try it looking back out the window. You will turn the wheels the WRONG way everytime.

Next, If Al is driving...get out and stand on the Left (drivers) side and make sure he can see you in the mirror. You can use hand signals or just yell loud. If it doesn't look right...then stop and pull forward. Aim the rear of the trailer where you want it and follow it with the TV. Turn the wheels on the TV SLOWLY. You don't have to turn the wheels "lock to lock" to make the trailer react. Al..remember this always and make sure Deb understands..." If you can't see my face in the mirror...I can't see you".

Walk the area and see where you want the trailer to be when parked. Look for low tree branches, large rocks, etc. Anything that could damage the roof or the sides of the trailer. An extra 3 minutes of looking can save some BIG bucks later.

Backing in is NOT "a race to the finish" even if there are grandstands with people with popcorn and beer watching. LOL

handva

A set of two-way radios is a decent investment. Leave one on the sun visor over the driver and the person backing up has the other. Keeps some of the arguments that might happen to a minimum.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A set of two-way radios is a decent investment. Leave one on the sun visor over the driver and the person backing up has the other. Keeps some of the arguments that might happen to a minimum.

The two-way radios have been a life-saver for us. The wife got tired of me yelling and I could never hear or see her.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Patty and I have an agreement. If she stays where I can see her in the mirror and doesn't give me the "1 finger salute". I wont have her "keel hauled" around the Horn. Al, if the fight gets TOOO bad there is always rope, a sock and duct tape.

bluebirdsnfur

Hi Deb and Al.

If you are looking for written informtion (some prefer doing!), there are some detailed checklists that can be used to make one for yourselves. Sometimes these "checklists" help those new to RVing work through all the steps and remove the stress of first timing and forgetting something...

Heres one link I just googled; others may chime in with their own suggestions..... --> http://www.rvuniversity.com/staticpages/index.php/Campground_Setup_101

brianharrison, Thank you for the rvuniversity link. I have bookmarked it. As newbies we need all the help we can get! Really appreciate it!:D

bluebirdsnfur

We were givin all the instructions and a few driving lessons at the dealership but when we got home all that stuff went right out the window. I do think gettin two-way radios would be a very good investment! You are all bein so very very helpful. Can't thank you enough!
I want to learn to hitch, haul, back up and un-hitch right along with my best bud, Al. I wonder why he bought that duct tape? :confused:

caissiel

We were on Vacation with my sister in Myrtle Beach the last 3 weeks. We were late to reserve and all the campsites were full at Ocean Lakes where my sister was at.
We stayed there 8 days and moved 7 times. We had a system, the wife was in charge inside and I was outside. I check the time required one time and within 20 Minutes we unhooked the RV and had it all hooked up again, levelled and had the satelite going.

It pays to have a sysytem, watchers usually are asked to stay clear, so I can do my own stuff. The wife is inside moving materials to clear the slides and moves the four slides in, I am outside putting the Hoses, electric cords away and hooking the truck up. If everything is done in the same order its a wiss to setup and go, and again to arrive and setup. I usually remember the level location when unhooking so as to level the trailer to match the 5th wheel height. I do have a 1 pivot hitch that makes alignment much easier because the height can be lower and the truck can be off when backing back in. much easier then seeing my friends with their 2 way hitches.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we're at our site, I only assist if I'm asked (I have been once or twice). It's a bit presumptuous to walk up to someone who isn't doing it the same way you do and start "helping." Even helped an elderly couple clear a major blockage of their black tank drain once.

bighorn3370

Just remember that you are not in a race. Better to go slow and not do any damage to the truck or fifth wheel. Also, as said before, get a routine down and follow it the same way each time. If someone starts to distract you, stop what you are doing until they are done and then finish your routine.