186T Tent Model

Shawnrv

Hi All,
Well after a 2yr search I pretty much have my heart set on the MPG. Originally was going to go with a 183 as I like the bunks but am now torn over the new tent models.
Is there anybody out there that has one of the 186T's?
Wondering if it is what the spec shows....i.e. literally a 183 with the tent added to the back.
I have only been able to find a couple on rvtrader with pictures and they look like what I would expect but kinda wierd that there isn't really much info on the Hearland site.
Also seems wierd that there are so few out there.....
Are they just too new or is there a bad rap on the tent models???
Looking for anyone's honest feedback or experience.

jimtoo

Hi Shawnrv,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Heartland family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The MPG is pretty new,, but has been a good seller I think. I'm sure you will get some answers or opinions soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Dalymo

Hi Shawnrv,
We bought a 185T this past summer. I think the difference from the 186T is the floor plan in where we have a fold down sofa and fridge and microwave in the slide-out. Maybe your windows are different, too. Regardless, we have a pop-out tent in the rear and that was one of the main reasons we went with a "T" model, as it gave us more of the feel of outdoors especially with the wrap-around windows in the tent. We have had no problems with leaking, although we did have a warranty issue with the fold-out bed platform that was promptly fixed. Another problem - since fixed, as well - was the outside locking mechanisms for the flip up door that houses the tent. Ideally, a sturdier sliding lock mechanism may have been more appropriate with the amount of movement that the door would get when traveling. We now use a heavy duty bungee cord to tie down the door and hook it onto the back bumper. This acts as a back-up in case the outside locks decide to snap open from rough roads and cause the flip-up door to swing up wide open (I speak from experience on this!).
In talking to others when we were deciding what type of trailer to buy, a couple dealers suggested that the cross-overs (trailers with tent extensions) weren't great sellers...that they were inconvenient when packing up after rainy weather. We have found that the tent dries quickly and it isnt a big deal to pack it up wet and open it up to dry when at your next stop or home. After all, the flip up back door keeps the top of the tent dry. The tent is also a great place to put stuff to get it out of the way during the day. Also, the air mattress provided is great and comfy.
So there you go! We love our MPG 185T and hope you love yours just as much...
dalymo