Awning hanging up

robnmo

Our electric awning on occasion when we go to extend it, seems to hang up on the motor end and on 2 occasions it didn't want to "roll" when we retracted it. I've lubed what appears to be any pivot or slide points but still hasn't helped. It's not an every time event just on occasion, is there an alignment on the arms that I might need to check or any other suggestions?

rick_debbie_gallant

Are you saying that the electric motor stops working all together? I had some problems last year in Texas with mine rolling up. Ordered new switch but did not need to use it. By the time it got here I had found the problem. I took the motor apart to check the brushes and wouldnt you know it, one of them would hang up because a wire was way to short. Stretched it and all is well.

robnmo

The motor seems to be working fine since the opposite end continues to open, or retract, and if I release the switch, the arm with the motor end will then fall away (so to speak) from the RV and catch up with the opposite end, then it'll extend on out. On retraction on a few occassions the arms started to retract but it didn't roll, letting the awning basically hang (or droop) instead of rolling up. Again it's not an everytime event just thought if there was something to ck to avoid a future issue. I'll get up there and ck the wiring, etc. Thanks

Riverman

Both awnings on our Cyclone do this as well.
Fortunately, I am just tall enough to reach the roller from the door and give it a push.
It will occasionally roll out on its own...although I don't remember the last time it didn't need help.

Ticaster

I had this issue with my North Trail during my PDI. The service tech said the awning needed an adjustment to the alignment. The roll would unwind the awning, but the arms would stay tight to the trailer sides. You had to pull on the arms to get it to "break free". Sounds like a similar issue. Unfortunately the awning was never fixed along with a list of other issues. It is currently back at the dealer to repair all the issues that came up on the first outing.

robnmo

Ok thanks at least it sounds like this isn't real unique. Maybe a little filing or shimming might be in order in spots. Thanks

Duramax1

I experienced a problem in retracting our awning.

It was under warranty and the dealer determined that the spring in the roller needed to be wound up a couple of turns.

Prior to that I never knew that although it was an electric awning while unrolling it was also winding up a spring, just like the manual awnings, which is used in conjunction with the motor to retract the awning.