Hanex counter top repair

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've read the Hanex instructions for removing scratches, and followed it (sort of), but now the repair area is slightly lighter and duller than the rest of the counter. Anybody done a scratch repair and added anything different to the process? Lacking my orbital sander, I hand sanded with 220, 320, and then 600 grit wet sandpaper. Then used a wet, blue ScotchBrite pad on it. The scratches are gone, but you can tell where I worked on it. Is there something to get it to match the surrounding area, short of working the entire counter top?.

Someone mentioned a repair kit from the manufacturer, but it's not shown on their website.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, I have always used rubbing compound followed by polishing compound then a coat of wax. In fact our last BH counter top looked better when we sold it then when we got it.

Peace
Dave

trvlrerik

I am not sure of this repair process, but I have repaired a lot of solid surface countertops. It sounds like the chemicals have softened the top layer of the countertop and are still suspended in the surface. You may let it sit for several days to see if the chemicals will dry out and the top may return to matching color.

Chances are that the pores of the countertop have been opened up by a chemical reaction and this may be the cause of the dullness. I have had good luck starting with 200 grit wet/dry oxide paper and working my way up in grit ending with 800 grit, all sanding should be done wet with a drop or two of dishwashing solution in the water. Keep your sandpaper very clean. After the 800 grit I would buff the surface with auto paint polishing cream, and then finish with automotive wax. Solid surface countertops can be polished as smooth as a piece of optical mirrorglass. This is a slow process that takes some time and elbow grease, even deep scratches can be repaired.
I hope this helps, good luck.

JohnDar

No chemicals were involved. There was a long scratch on the main counter, probably from the thieves crawling over it and dragging a TV set. Didn't see it until we hauled the rig to our seasonal site. There were some smaller scratches on the other counter, as well. The scratches are gone, I just need to get the surface to match the surrounding areas.

Thanks for the tips. I couldn't find anything finer than 600 grit at the local hardware, but we're heading down to Gaylord for the day and will look at the big box stores. Some polishing cream and paste wax, too.

gpshemi

Higher grit and more work. LOL.
Hobby store should have some 1200 and up for derby cars.

Then go to the polishes.

JohnDar

We stopped in an Advance Auto Parts and I picked up some 800 and 1000 grit paper, along with some polishing cream and a can of Meguair's paste wax.

JohnDar

We stopped in an Advance Auto Parts and I picked up some 800 and 1000 grit paper, along with some polishing cream and a can of Meguair's paste wax.

Job done! The higher grits, followed by the polishing cream and wax, and the damaged areas look as good as new. And slicker than greased monkey-doo.

What am I to do? I've run out of things to work on this season (for now).