Yellow Dot Emergency Program..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
While talking with my son-in-law about ideas of how to tell emergency providers where the DW & I are staying, that we may have a pet in the trailer, what our medical concerns are and such. He then told me about an article he read about called the Yellow Dot Program.

We looked it up and found that in Alabama they have been working on the Yellow Dot program to help emergency responders know the people that they are trying to help.

In a previous thread this subject was brought up. I would like to see if we can help spread this program or maybe come up with something similar.

Just to let you know I plan to post this on the Escapees forum to encourage ideas from them also.

What do you think.
http://www.facebook.com/AlabamaYellowDot

http://www.adeca.state.al.us/C15/YellowDot/default.aspx

BC

traveler44

I have heard of people putting some bright color on the top of their rv so that they can be found by family members during an emergency. I haven't figured out how to mark the roof without damaging the roof yet but am thinking of a bright colored tape. Sounds like somebody has a good idea with the yellow dot program. Some fire depts. like for people to put a sticker on the fridge and emerg. info. inside. Tom M.

SilverRhino

Tom....Remember years ago there was a program in my home town (Omaha, NE) that utilized the container in the refrigerator that had emergency info. The yellow dot program seems like a very simple system that would be very beneficial. Very low tech.....Low cost......Easy to implement!

BC.....It would be great if the "scholars" in Austin were to put their time to some good use and consider something like this for our Great State! ( I plan on passing it on to my State Rep......But I'm not holding my breath!)

danemayer

Looks like a good idea. Too bad it's only active in select counties in Alabama. On the other hand, it wouldn't be too hard to put something on the car windows pointing to a folder in the glove box.

YellowSticker.jpg

A kit with a couple of window cling decals and a folder with cards to fill out might be a good addition to the club membership.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
A kit with a couple of window cling decals and a folder with cards to fill out might be a good addition to the club membership.

Hay that is a great idea. If we could get Heartland to help in this manner maybe we could expand it in the RV Community.

What do you think Mr. JimB?

I plan to go to a number of fire departments as we travel and see if they are intrested. Maybe we could get it to spread.

BC

traveler44

I got an email from a friend suggesting that we I.C.E. our cell phones. If you have-- In Case of Emergency-- info on your cell phone and it is found during an emergency they know who to contact too. You can put Ice 1-- Ice 2-- Ice 3 etc. for more contact options. Thinking of putting daughter- sons- and maybe a doctor that has most of my medical history. Tom M.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I got an email from a friend suggesting that we I.C.E. our cell phones. If you have-- In Case of Emergency-- info on your cell phone and it is found during an emergency they know who to contact too. You can put Ice 1-- Ice 2-- Ice 3 etc. for more contact options. Thinking of putting daughter- sons- and maybe a doctor that has most of my medical history. Tom M.

Traveler
We already have that in place, except I have ours as ICE Wife (on My phone), ICE Husband (on Wife's), ICE Daughter (both phones). That way they know who they are calling.

BC

kb0zke

One caveat about numbers in cell phones: If your landline number is listed, and someone gets your phone, they can quickly find that number. A search on the number will reveal your address. Now an identity thief has two important bits of information about you. I've put only first names into my phone, and there is no "home" number.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't have emergency numbers in your phone; you should. Just be careful about what information is there. Assume that you will misplace the phone somewhere and that it will be found by someone who is less than honest. Then ask yourself what information such a person could get from your phone, and act accordingly.

There is another option. I have the yellow dot program, and I got it free. www.nationalyellowdot.org. It is virtually the same program and is available to everyone in the US. There is an awesome upgrade available for about 10 bucks a year which includes an id card, stickers and other stuff. I decided on the upgraded package for me and my parents because my father has Alzheimers and there is a feature service in the event he gets lost. This program is awesome. I was told by their office that they do private label cards for organizations and clubs as well. Hope this helps!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the link to the National Yellow Dot Emergency Program. I think this or something like it is very advantageous for our life style.

BC

danemayer

I have a similar kit with window decals and matching folder, with forms for your info and will be bringing a few sets to Gillette. Less than $10 for the kit with decals, folder and forms. No fees.
YellowSticker.jpg