Wind rain hail storm damage?

bdb2047

Storm went through Thursday nite,winds in excess of 70mph tornado about 6 miles South.Camper parked at house pulled slides in before storm.Wind blew water in around windows of house and camper also blew fridge in camper out of opening in wall tilted in about 3" at top door came open and hit counter and dented door. Took pics and pushed back in position and refastened seams to be working O.K.Have checked for wet areas only found where water came in windows not much no apparent damage.Hail broke 1 vent cover have full body paint no apparent damage roof looks O.K.Any suugestions of what to look for I am surprised at lack of obvious damage hail3/4".Ins is sending adjuster out don't want find something a month from and have to deal w/ins again.

danemayer

No experience with hail on the RV, but hail on house roof shortens the life of the shingles, effectively ruining the roof even though the leaking may not start for a few years. I couldn't see anything significant when my house was hit, but the roofer and the insurance adjuster both agreed the roof had been ruined.

You may want to call Dicor and ask their opinion since they warrant the roof. If they won't stand behind the roof after hail damage, you have an insurance claim.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Might want to run your hand slowly over the roof and check for dimples. Even though the roof membrane doesn't show any damage, if the hail did impression on the lamination under the roof membrane, it will case problems later down the road. Our coach is in a covered building but I talked with a local dealership who is seeing alot of roof damage eventho upon an eyeball inspection, everything looks ok. He's having to replace a lot.

SmokeyBare

Of course depending on the size of the Hail Stones, they can cause the wood below the Dicor roof to be fractured making a slight dimple inward.

This could cause a puncture to the Dicor rubber roof material with splintered wood working through to the surface and in turn causing a leak. I would feel around the surface, feeling for any changes to the solid surface below the Dicor rubber roof. If there has been damage to the wood below, it might not cause a leak right away, but could after some time... when the splinters start to puncture through.

Marv

Might want to run your hand slowly over the roof and check for dimples. Even though the roof membrane doesn't show any damage, if the hail did impression on the lamination under the roof membrane, it will case problems later down the road. Our coach is in a covered building but I talked with a local dealership who is seeing alot of roof damage eventho upon an eyeball inspection, everything looks ok. He's having to replace a lot.

good thinkin!

jimtoo

Hi soundersfan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Do you have an RV and if so what kind. We are always looking for new Heartland family members.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'd suggest rolling out your awning as the hail stones can damage even rolled up, that happened to us. Look right near the top where it is exposed..../Doug