Fresh water tank issue

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Good morning and greetings from the Alaskan wilderness! We just purchased a 2008 3055RL (9162) and are very happy with the 5th wheel. After reading some of the other forum posts, we have a similar problem with our fresh water tank. With the unit "level" in all directions, the water pump will not pick up any water when the tank indicates 1/3rd full. We have drained the tank, and then measured approximately 20 gallons of water that needed to be added to the tank before the pump would pick any water. Could you please describe where/how the water pick-up is located. We have not yet tried "tilting" the 5th wheel towards the pick-up side of the tank, and if that works, what would be involved with actually tilting the tank installation. Thanks for your assistance.

Forrest Fetherolf

repkeida,

For tons of information regarding your water tank problem, go the "Search" drop down at the top of this page and do a search for "water tank".

-COMMENT DELETED BY ADMIN-

Forrest

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Rog

repkeida, follow forrest's lead, once you get the tank(s) right you will have a great time.................

Scott

Here's what I found out from production:
The removable cross members are installed lower than the fixed cross members so the tank is sloped to the drain/pick up side. Some 3055 models however had their drain/pick up against the fixed cross member causing the tank to slope away from the drain/pick up. This condition can be resolved by raising the removable cross member 1” higher than the fixed side.

This is something that we will cover under warranty if you would like to get it in to your dealer or nearby service center. Be sure to call the Customer Service Dept. at 574.262.8030 prior to the work being done.

ST

5erWonk

rpkeida,

I just spent last weekend under my 3055 fixing this problem, so here is a run down on what I found.

I did not see what Scott mentions about the cross members installed allowing slope to the drain, my tank is centered between the cross member on the short direction. The removable cross member have significant sag in them allowing the water to pool in the center. When I jacked up the sag in the tank I was able to completely drain the water.

There is a 3/4" square tubing above the tank running the long way that I expect was placed there so the tank can't be pushed up against the floor. On mine the drain / pickup end of the tank is completely against that upper cross member and the door side has about 3/4" clearance between the top of the tank and the cross member.

One other problem I found was my 1/2" drain/supply tube was pinched between a cross member and the body of one of the grey water valves.

My fix:

I installed three 1 1/4" heavy wall square tubing supports running the long direction of the tank (doorside to curbside) to take out the sag. I shimmed the door side of the tank up to the upper cross member to gain a slight slope to the drain.

The drain/supply line was rerouted to avoid the pinching off.

I also tied up the fill tube to fix the air lock I was experiencing when filling the tank.

The tank works great now.....I have to say this is really the only problem I have had with my unit. Now with this fix we can enjoy boondocking on a full tank.