FULL TIME vs PART TIME

jdfishing

Basically, what is different about a rig designed for "full time" and one that is for recreational use? I know when we bought our Bighorn, there was another SOB on the lot that we were interested in and the salesperson said it was "built for full time use". That almost swayed our decision on selection.

timbuktu

I asked this same question to Heartland since the Bighorn and Landmark are "designed for fulltime use" and their other FW/TH are not. I wanted to know what was different in the construction that allowed the BH and LM to be fulltimed in. Their response was there is no difference in construction. They further said that if you fulltime in one of their units "not designed" for fulltiming and had a warranty issue, they have not ever nor will they ever decline a warranty claim.

jpdoggett

It could be that the others don't have the insulation and the heated underbelly and heated tanks

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

The owner’s manual to my Sundance talks about moister build-up and causingthings to de-laminate. It recommends keeping it aired out.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Getting quotes for FT insurance, I have never been told that. Where or who are you getting your information from?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When we renewed out insurance we were told "no problem with full-timing" by our agent. Your information may be wrong.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hmm. Seems that full-timers opening and closing doors and windows would have less of a moisture build up than those of us who only some-times in our rigs. Mine sits over the winter closed up and for 7 to 10 days at a stretch during the summer when we're not there (I leave the vents open and the Fantastic Fan set to run at 80 deg.). No moisture problems found, either. And the refrigerator is turned on when we set up in May and stays on until we come home in late September.

z-dog

We have been full timing in our 2011 BH 3070 for over 7 months. I would say that the difference is mainly in the daily use of the unit. I personally don't think that many of the interior items (carpet, chairs, curtains, countertops, refrigerator, mattress, cooktop/stove etc.) are really built for full timing. At least from what I am seeing with ours. There is only my wife and I. We keep things very maintained (vacuum every few days, don't wear shoes inside, all those kind of things) yet it seems that ours has had many problems (working with service to get about a dozen items to still be repaired/fixed) and many things (carpet,curtains, chairs, counters,mattress)are just not holding up very well. Maybe other brand units (Mobile Suites, Excel,Carriage) do a better job and also cost much more for true full timing.
Anyway that's been our experience to date.
Chris

Dave49

We have been fulltiming in our BH3670 2011 for the past year. Will go along with z-dog on such things as carpet, mattress, and chairs. They are not ready for fulltime use. So far we have replaced the mattress and next is chairs. Carpeting will come after that down the road. Just not sure how to replace the carpeting due to the fact that most RV's have the walls built on top of the carpet. If thats the case for the BH, then we have a small problem we will deal with.

One thing we have discovered as far as moisture is get the product called "Damp Rid" it works very well. Can get it at most any department stores. Also use them fans when cooking, or showering. Moisture will reak havoc on a unit.

All in all our BH has taken care of us very well, and we have been very happy with it. Can't ask for much more than we have. But darn glad I don't have to use that dealer we bought from ever again. Took a year just to get a ceiling fan, and thats not replaced, it was handed to me to replace myself. The reasons for that is they couldn't order the right thing in one years time. When they got the last fan in on a rush order they were suppose to call me for quick install the following week. After 3 weeks I called them and asked if the fan was in they said well let me look and he came back and said yes we have the fan but I don't know when we can get to the installation. I said nevermind I will be there in 1/2 hour to pick it up. No questions asked and when I got there they handed the fan over to me, never said a word, never signed a thing for the fan and walked out. Thats how they do business!!!

Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've been insured for fulltiming in our Bighorn for more than 4 years now...never been an issue.

As for changing the carpet...it's not a big deal either. To remove old carpet, just cut it with a knife as close to the cabinet base as possible, and then "clean up" the residual fibers by hand. We installed a resilient floor throughout the lower level, except for the slides which were re-carpeted, and used corner round to finish against the cabinets and the walls...looks beautiful!!

timbuktu

I have FT insurance through Geico. The only difference in FT ins and part time insurance, from what I was told, is the amount of liability you carry. There's extra liability on our policy so for example, if we have a guest over and they fall and get injured, we are covered for those injuries if we get sued. Another thing to consider for those FTing who don't have a stick and brick home, thus no homeowner's ins, is getting personal property ins for all the belongings inside the RV. Geico doesn't offer this type of personal property ins, which I thougt I could get via renter's ins, but apparently they won't cover us under a renter's policy, and neither would USAA. But Geico does offer a Valuable Property Ins which covers most of our big ticket items.

As far as moisture build up, which is the enemy in RVs, we simply leave our roof vents cracks all the time and always fully open the vents when cooking and showering. We also leave the windows next to the bed cracked to help too.

As far as replacing the carpet, we have also done that with no problem. Just as kakampers mentioned, it's an easy job. We replaced ours with carpet from Home Depot. The only tricky part is replacing the carpet in the bedroom with the bed slide, it's a beast...and we had that done professionally.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've never had a problem with personal property insurance for our items in the RV...in fact, we've always been able to up our insurance from the standard carried, which is about $2,000, to between $10-20,000 depending on the the premium. AND, we always have been able to purchase replacement cost on those items too. This has been with companies like, Progressive, GMAC, Foremost, etc....never used Geico for fulltiming...maybe that's the issue.

Yes, liability is the main issue, but there are others, i.e., diminishing deductibles, replacement costs, etc....

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've had Progressive since day 1 with our Bighorn. I think only a few insurers offer a "full timers package". It's similar to a homeowners insurance when it comes to liability and the good feature they have is the 5 year full replacement and then the next 5 are full purchase price. If the rig is totaled in the 1st 5 years we get a new coach. If within the next 5, we get our "purchase price" back. We also have disappearing deductibles.
I believe the "package" is pretty much the same for the few insurers that offer it.
BTW, our first 5 years is up in July.:cool::rolleyes: