Slide out bicycle rack on 28BRS

RanCarr

When we bought our 28BRS North Trail, the salesman said the rear bicycle pull out rack was good for about 200 lbs max. I can't find anything online about how much weight can safely be put on this rack. The spouse has a motorcycle that's at least 350 to 400 lbs he wants to haul on it. I feel this is too much weight to the rear and the slideout rack doesn't look strong enough for that kind of load. Please.... anyone.... what would be a safe weight on that rear pullout rack?

jimtoo

Hi RanCarr,

I agree with you,,, I feel sure that is to much weight for that type of hitch. But call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030, and ask for the North Trail section and check with them for sure.

Please post the answer.

Jim M

We have a 27RL with probably the same slideout bumper/rack. When we were looking at ours the saleman said the slide bumper would carry 500lbs. I was looking directly at the sticker put on at the factory that said limit is 200lbs. He was a bit embarrased.

Looking at the brackets that hold up the slide bumper I would not put more than 200lbs on it. But you may be able to get a welder to add a much better bracket that could carry more you might also have to beef up the tray itself to carry 3 or 400lbs.

However, you have to be careful how much you carry because it could throw off the weight at the hitch. That could cause instability when towing.

pegmikef

I have the same rack on my North Trail 26LRSS and it has a sticker that clearly states a 200 pound limit. I weigh 170 and routinely stand on it to clean the window, but I wouldn't trust it with much more weight. I use it for my Honda Generators and a storage box (about 150 pounds total).

RanCarr

I have the same rack on my North Trail 26LRSS and it has a sticker that clearly states a 200 pound limit. I weigh 170 and routinely stand on it to clean the window, but I wouldn't trust it with much more weight. I use it for my Honda Generators and a storage box (about 150 pounds total).

Thank you. We didn't see a sticker on the rack but that was the weight I remembered the salesman mentioning. I have to look through all the papers that came with the 28BRS again. I'm sure there must be information on the rack in there.

RanCarr

We have a 27RL with probably the same slideout bumper/rack. When we were looking at ours the saleman said the slide bumper would carry 500lbs. I was looking directly at the sticker put on at the factory that said limit is 200lbs. He was a bit embarrased.

Looking at the brackets that hold up the slide bumper I would not put more than 200lbs on it. But you may be able to get a welder to add a much better bracket that could carry more you might also have to beef up the tray itself to carry 3 or 400lbs.

However, you have to be careful how much you carry because it could throw off the weight at the hitch. That could cause instability when towing.

He said something about beefing it up to haul the MC but then there's the weight issue so far back. I don't think he thought of that, but I did. :D I remember from the Zinger and the Sunline we had before the BRS. We learned about too much weight being taken off the hitch. Had he been adamant about taking the MC with us while snow-birding, I would have suggested a toy-hauler. :)

RanCarr

Hi RanCarr,

I agree with you,,, I feel sure that is to much weight for that type of hitch. But call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030, and ask for the North Trail section and check with them for sure.

Please post the answer.

Jim M

If he still insists on carrying this MC 1000 miles to FL this winter,... I will definitely call them. It's rated for 200lbs and even if it's beefed up I feel it's too much weight too far back over the back wheels. We already have weight to the rear as we use the upper bunk for storage. Clothing, fans, bedding, boots and shoes etc. And the pantry and other weight is back there also. We travel with about 10g in the fresh water tank. I need to discourage him.... and make my sigfile pic smaller.

I notice the smilies don't work on this site and they're not disabled. :( I have to do them manually.