Our Bighorn Modifications ...... so far

wonka

Well we have had our unit for a couple months, been able to get oin the truckut a couple times (don't even get me started on the crap weather this year). but even being brand new we have done a few modifications.
The first thing i did was remount the water pump, it was screwed done on the basement floor, moved it to a vertical mount on a small piece of plywood on a leg of the furnace bracket. I cleaned up the routing of the lines as best I could, but will be doing more soon.
The second thing I did was go through and seal the compartment between the basement and front storage bin, too many mice were getting in. I then filled in the wall behind the stair storage drawers (it was wide open). Found another of these wide open cut throughs behind the kitchen drawers (1/8 plywood and styrofoamed that closed as well). Removed the bottom shelf in all kitchen cabintry and sealed all the openings below these.
I also crafted a dual battery box for two six volt golf cart batteries. This was made from 1/2" plywood, sealed inside with undercoating spray, utilizing both the vent and drain from the original single battery box.
I then added a little angle bracket shelf in my front storage bin, to which I added milk crates for extra storage. These are great for all those mid sized smaller things. I have one full of oil, filter cleaner, chain lube etc for the bikes, another has the ropes and clamps for the tarps, and tie downs pegs and misc in the another. these are set with about 8" clearance above, which leaves me enough room below them for my generator, chainsaw, small jerry can,the two six volts in their box, and my three portable 15 watt solar panels (just cant bring myself to mount these on the roof).a small portable folding table, two axes, a shovel, five pound hammer,small 12 volt 100 psi air compressor, two of those small propane cylinders and a tent heater. (wow we pack a lot of stuff in the front bin).
Next I plan on picking up some black carpet that matches the wall in the basement and then increasing the size of the area. after having it opened up and looking behind the existing demising walls, I feel I could gain another few feet of storage. I don't really want to cut up the factory panels, so I will create some new ones and store the originals for resale.
I have received my air bags and remote compressor and will try and get them installed in the truck today.
Seams like no matter what you buy, there are always a few tweeks to add.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You've done a great job of starting what most of us do. making our rigs our own. After 5 years I still find myself trying to improve little things. I just finished lining my front closet shelves with aromatic cedar planking. Looks pretty nice and they add a nice aroma to the bedroom area. At times, that helps a lot.:rolleyes: