Help locating the stairway handrail

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
5ver owners, I need your help.

Upon visiting a newer version of the Elk Ridge at an RV show, I discovered that HL has added a handrail to the hallway by the stairs, which we did not have. I NEED THAT!! My knees fuss at me a little, but especially after skiing or biking or hiking alot. So, I asked the nice folks at HL to send me a handrail, which they did AT NO COST!!

Now comes the help part. I need to install it, but I need to know how high up to put it. Can someone who has a handrail in their hallway by the stairs please measure from the first step to the bottom of their handrail and let me know? It doesn't have to be in an Elk Ridge. If you have the handrail, you can help. :)

Thanks in advance!

Erika

Attachments

• handrail 001.jpg
    handrail 001.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 34
  • handrail 002.jpg
    handrail 002.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 37

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tony, I cant help with the height but you will need to find the wall studs. The thin plywood wont hold any weight. A stud finder or pushing on the wall should will tell you where they are.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Erika,
In my BH 3670, the screws (where the wood buttons are) are at 16", 22", and 28" from the floor of the bedroom level, going up the stairs. The lower end of the rail is about 3/4" from the corner trim of the wall. Hope this helps.

TxCowboy

Have to agree with Bob on using the stud finder to determine where the studs are. There's enough dissimilarities between the units that using a stud finder is the only way to locate them accurately. Attaching the hand rail to the studs is essential if the hand rail is going to bear any load/weight.

As for the height (your originial question), this is an rare opportunity to attach the handrail at a height comfortable for you. My suggestion is that you install the hand rail at the same height your hand rests naturally at your side. I have a hand rail factory installed in my 32RL and it seems to fit my 6 foot tall frame very naturally at about 27 inches off the floor.

Hope this helps!

Boca_Shuffles

I put a handrail in my 2010 BH3055RL. Unfortunately, I forgot to check where the pocket door closed and the door hits the handle. No problem for us, but be sure to check all doors and clearances when picking your final location.