Well the unspeakable happened to me today!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes I was at a CW today getting my AC replaced and a young guy from CW was helping me. Got up on the hitch and he said that it was hitched. After about 3000 feet and a 90 degree turn I slowed down to exit the parking lot and BAMmm. The new Key Largo slipped off the hitch hitting the bed of the truck. With The guy helping, my wife went inside for a little while and this threw our routine off. I for got to do the hitch test and wouldn't you know it the one and only time I did not do one was the time I needed it most. Not a good day. At least no one was hurt. Except my pride and a few really prized objects. I'm sure they can be fixed but they will never be the same. Oh and don't forget the deductibles. Ouch!

brianharrison

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It happens to the best of us; but that doesn't make it sting any less.

Take care,
Brian

Moose

WoW, sorry to hear that.

Hope you get things fixed OK.

Darn that old expression . . . . . "if you want something done right . . . . do it yourself".

Glad to hear nobody was hurt.

SilverRhino

Sorry to hear of your misfortune! Fortunately no one was hurt.

We had a neighbor that prior to his passing, used to always come over when we were hitching or un-hitching the trailer. There was more than one occasion that something in our normal routine was almost missed. Whenever he helped it took twice as long, as I felt I had to stop and double check everything.

There are even times when pulling into a campground when the staff or other campers want to help. They mean well......but the DW and I have our routine down, so I just politely say "No thanks, we've got it covered".

Hope everything gets fixed and that you are on the road soon!

Travel Safe!

tmcran

Wow sorry to here that. I almost did the same thing. Staff person tried to help. I was watching him got out of my normal.routine.....thank goodness I doubled checked.

truknutt

Committed Member
Sorry for your misfortune. Everytime I read of one of these accidents occurring, I am glad I purchased the Bedsaver. Ugly it may be but, I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember S--- or Squat if you prefer) and know at some point in time that I will forget to check the coupling.

2psnapod2

Yes I suffer from the same thing. My wife is the one that was always makes sure I did the pull test. So yes I have CRS also. And I also see a bedsaver in my near futcher. I was unaware of one available for my TS3 but I see there is.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I know how it feels.
No intent to steal the thread but I did the same thing Sunday afternoon arriving at Indian River. The site was a bit unlevel so I had Lin at the wheel while I was placing boards. I thought the rig was level enough so I placed chocks on one side then pulled the pin release. Then I checked the level again and decided to add another board. I told Lin to pull ahead slow after I removed the chock. WHAM! I had forgotten that I pulled the pin. Totally my fault. Fortunately my rear truck box was the only thing crushed. No damage to the truck or trailer. With the new front hydraulic legs, it was easy to get back up & on the hitch. No pictures but maybe later.

I know, I should have gotten level up...:eek: Any $$$ sponsors?:angel:

Last edited:

Netem

I hear so many people talking about doing this I raise my legs an in. off the ground and get in the truck and give it a jerk if its still on the hitch I figure its safe to raise the legs all the way up. I know that would'nt have helped you Ray, being younger is probably the only thing that would stop us from some of things we do.:) Used my new yellow blocks when we stopped at Springfield. Thanks Ray.

sgtbigb

Just wondering, what brand of hitch do you own?
Yes I was at a CW today getting my AC replaced and a young guy from CW was helping me. Got up on the hitch and he said that it was hitched. After about 3000 feet and a 90 degree turn I slowed down to exit the parking lot and BAMmm. The new Key Largo slipped off the hitch hitting the bed of the truck. With The guy helping, my wife went inside for a little while and this threw our routine off. I for got to do the hitch test and wouldn't you know it the one and only time I did not do one was the time I needed it most. Not a good day. At least no one was hurt. Except my pride and a few really prized objects. I'm sure they can be fixed but they will never be the same. Oh and don't forget the deductibles. Ouch!

SilverRhino

This thread just proves how easy it is for things to go wrong! Whether a "Seasoned" Veteran or a "Green Horn" it can happen to all of us!

Even the best routines....when interupted.....even for just a moment...go awry! We all need to take heed and remember to slow down and double check everything! Fortunately....In all the instances mentioned, there were no bodily injuries.

Travel Safe!

Hunter

Newby
There are even times when pulling into a campground when the staff or other campers want to help. They mean well......but the DW and I have our routine down, so I just politely say "No thanks, we've got it covered".

My DH & I agree. We have our routine and if not followed we always have something missed.

Michael & Kelly, so sorry about your accident. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

2psnapod2

Our insurance adjuster came out this morning. Gave us a estimate for nearly $2400. The Shower stall and door was also broken when this happened. Any idea about uncovering and reattaching the front under side of the overhang? Seems to be a little sponge. He said everything else looked ok. But said if the repair shop wanted more money to let him know.

porthole

Retired
Mike,
Sorry to hear of your "event". Was planning on PM'ing you with some questions on the KL.

We also have the TS3. new hitch for me. I made the mistake of hooking up but not pulling the pin that releases the handle. It almost looks right but of course it isn't.
Did my brake pull test and since I was still on the jacks I didn't even realize that the TS had "un-hitched".

All I ended up doing was cracking the center plastic trim on the tailgate.
Now I always jump up and give the handle a good tug, look at the jaws from the rear and look for the red stripe on the block.

2psnapod2

Duane, yes I purchased the TS3 hitch after I saw that you got it. I REALLY like it and the way it pulls our KL. I would not get any other hitch ever! Did you know that there was a Bedsaver for it? I saw it just after I dropped our coach. I do plan on getting one. I am surprised the Bedsaver is not used more. If you have some questions on the KL give me a email at 2psnapod2@gmail.com. I am more than happy to talk about this great coach. We love it. Michael

caissiel

These stories make me like my hitch more and more. I have a bar that goes accross and the lever will not go accross until the bar is also across. This has never came close to happening in the last 18 years.

My neighbour just got a brand new SOB 5th wheel and used the 5th wheel hitch for the first time on his already setup truck and told me he is going to see his friend for a new closer tolerence bolt to prevent all the chucking at the hitch.

porthole

Retired
If you use the TS3 correctly it cannot drop the trailer. When the jaws wrap the pin completely a 2" steel block slides between the rear of the jaws. This allows the handle to move into the "lock" position. My error was not paying closer attention to the handle being in the lock position, both by handle angle and a painted strip being visible. And of course not physically checking to make sure it was locked.

ChangingPlaces

Mike,
Sorry to hear of your "event". Was planning on PM'ing you with some questions on the KL.

We also have the TS3. new hitch for me. I made the mistake of hooking up but not pulling the pin that releases the handle. It almost looks right but of course it isn't.
Did my brake pull test and since I was still on the jacks I didn't even realize that the TS had "un-hitched".

All I ended up doing was cracking the center plastic trim on the tailgate.
Now I always jump up and give the handle a good tug, look at the jaws from the rear and look for the red stripe on the block.
Hi Mike
May sound like a stupid question but when you look for the red stripe on the block, where is it you actually look. Is it a line you have painted on the hitch. I have a Binkley 20k AirSafe air ride hitch. I am always checking before we get on the road, but one day as in these threads you may get distracted and something happens. Sounds like you have it covered.
Many thanks Paul