Towing a 28'RLS

healeyt

Hi, We have the 2011 28'RLS and have been towing with a Dodge Durango with the smaller gear ratio. When we bought the Durango we were assured that it could tow this model RV but no one told us about the gear ratio. And we have found that the SUV strains when going up a hill. It goes into a lower gear and sometimes takes a very long time to readjust itself on the downhill. Under extended warranty we did have to have the transmission replaced but we bought it used with 30,000 miles on it. It is 2006. So we don't know what it might have been used for before we bought it. We are thinking of getting something else but want to be sure this time that we can easily tow the TT. Long trip in the planning to go from California to North Carolina. What are others using as a tow vehicle for this model TT? Truck? SUV? Thanks, Theresa

pegmikef

I've got the NT 26LRSS with a king slider and use a 2011 F250 6.7L Power Stroke Crew Cab with a Cap on the bed. Plenty of power and plenty of torque. Fuel consumption has been 9.6 to 14 mpg dependent on the wind and terrain. Averages right around 12 mpg (in about 4000 miles of towing)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When considering replacing a tow vehicle my thoughts are: What are you going to tow? How long will you have it? What are your long term plans? Will you be replacing the smaller trailer with a fifth wheel or larger trailer? Why not get a tow vehicle you will not have to replace every time you upgrade? Then you will be good for the long term. MHO

healeyt

Thanks for responding. I think we would downgrade if we get anything else. For us the length of the 28 footer has been enough.

healeyt

Thanks for your reply. I will keep this information handy as we begin to look around. What we have learned from buying the Durango is that gear ratio is very important. And we had never heard about that. I guess life is full of lessons. Theresa

ncc1701e

l wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I'm pulling the same unit with 3:73 gears in a F250 Gas with no issues.

Feb 2011.JPG 2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 Driver Side.JPG What did you finally decide on as a tow unit if I may ask?