New pin box recommendations

I am currently towing my Roadwarrior 405 with a 2008 Dodge megacab and would like to replace the pin box with a new one. When I am not pulling the RW, I am towing a 40' gooseneck horse trailer. Since I need to switch between the two towing environments, I am using the B&W turnover hitch with the fifth wheel companion hitch.

I am been reading the posts in this section and looking at the different manufactures (MorRyde, TrailAir, and Reese). I looked at the 5th Airborne pin box and saw that you can purchase that with the sidewinder. That left me wondering if I need the sidewinder option.

I am not really concerned on price. I just want to purchase the right replacement the first time.

Now I would like to turn to the people who actually use the products for some help in deciding what would be a good choice.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

truknutt

Committed Member
We just returned from Goshen on the inaugural run for the new 5th Airborne. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! If you've ever traveled the PA & OH Turnpikes you'll know what I mean!! I like that the unit's components are weather protected.

lwmcguir

We really like the combination of our 5Th Airborne and CP. Towed about 400 miles in the wind over the weekend and with rough roads. Really handles well and as you said with the cover on and the design the unit is well protected.

Last edited:

DMitch

I have a Fith Airborne and I'm very happy with it. Makes a bid differance on those bad roads. I have only used Fifth Airborne so I can't compare it to other brands for you.

Gary521

On another forum a couple of years ago, a guy bought both the 5th Airborne and the Trailaire. He test drove both of them. He preferred the 5th Airborne to the Trailair as it seemed to reduce chucking a bit better. He thought the Trailaire removed vertical jarring a bit better but still preferred the 5th Airborne overall. I have a 5th Airborne because of this review. It works. I have a Duramax 2500 extended cab with a short bed. I think that the 3500 with a crew cab also have an affect to remove chucking. I have added airbags and this helps even more. I usually pump the airbags to about 50lbs on each side. I found that more air pressure in the airbags helps the ride ( with the 5th wheel attached obviously ) than less pressure in the airbags. You can also play with the 5th Airborne a bit more with air pressure and bag location. The customer service there has helped me a bit too.
I know that the main purpose of airbags is for load leveling but, as I have stated, they help the ride. I believe that chucking is caused by the vertical up and down on the hitch and the speed difference between the trailer and the truck that it creates.

CabinetmakerII

I am currently towing my Roadwarrior 405 with a 2008 Dodge megacab and would like to replace the pin box with a new one. When I am not pulling the RW, I am towing a 40' gooseneck horse trailer. Since I need to switch between the two towing environments, I am using the B&W turnover hitch with the fifth wheel companion hitch.

I am been reading the posts in this section and looking at the different manufactures (MorRyde, TrailAir, and Reese). I looked at the 5th Airborne pin box and saw that you can purchase that with the sidewinder. That left me wondering if I need the sidewinder option.

I am not really concerned on price. I just want to purchase the right replacement the first time.

Now I would like to turn to the people who actually use the products for some help in deciding what would be a good choice.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Bruce,

We too are configured with the B&W Turnover system with a Companion hitch in our 2011 F450. We have some serious "chucking" issues pulling our Cyclone 3800. After a ton of research we just ordered the Fifth Airborne Pinbox. We are hoping to significantly reduce our chucking problem. While doing the research, I noticed in my paperwork that the "Companion Hitch" is NOT compatable with the "Sidewinder" which (from my understanding) moves the kingpin rearward. Hopefully you noticed that as well and went with/are going with just the "Fifth Airborne" and not the "Fifth Airborne Sidewinder"

aatauses

We have a mor ride and have been very happy with it---I have an air ride husky hitch so get a pretty smooth ride.
al

Delaine and Lindy

I for sure would go for a Trailer Saver Air ride hitch. I just sold my Gooseneck and bought a bumper pull with more capacity. And yes I have a Gooseneck Ball adapter for the Trailer Saver. However I highly recomend changing the Gooseneck head to a King Pin plate just like the 5th wheel has. So much easier to hook up to . Good Luck with your decision...

P.S. The Trailer Saver is pricey but can be used with any type bedrails... Reese, Huskey/Valley etc. I have used the TS 3 in 3 different Trucks... I also only use a Standard Pin Box on the 5th wheel..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a Trailair and love it, but now they have the Trailair Triglide which addresses both the chucking and bucking. Wouldn't be without it.

However just a thought. I had the factory pinbox on both 5th wheels I owned. I changed to the Trailair and love it but I have never used any other pinbox, so all I can say fo sure is I like the Trailair.

I really don't know which is the better pinbox. Another dilemma..... :confused:

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a Mor-Ryde pin box and Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch. We love them and would not change them out for a Trail-Air. We used to have a Trail-air pinbox and sold it for the Mor-Ryde.

caissiel

I have towed 3 different 5th Wheels with 4 trucks and had chucking on one setup only with standard pin box and 1 way 5th wheel hitch.

The one that was the chucker was a 1/2 ton with a very light 5th wheel hitch weight of 400lbs. In all my trials the only reason I found causing the chucking was that the springs were not properly loaded and the rear housing was mouving up and down. My 3/4 ton GM with over 2500lbs on the pin drove like a caddy with the trailer hooked up. With the F250, with 2 extra leaf spring and the same trailer, the ride was unbearable until I removed the long extra spring ply. With a heavier load towing the BC, I felt the truck had stability problems but the ride was great so I had to do something different to help with stability. I removed the short extra ply and added the long extra ply and it was the answer to the ride problem. I still feel that I have the truck setup a bit solid with the pin weight I do have but stability is more important than having a bit of rough ride. Still no chucking felt. On cruise its like sitting on the easy chair looking out the front windshield.

In all my miles of travel and the study I did about different hitches I have a feeling that hitches have to many moving parts and every part induces a chucking effect to the ride. Its nice to add airbag to raise the rear of the truck but the springs are left loose and the housing will move up and down, traction bars are used by airbag equiped trucks. The pins with excess clearances, on the hitches to allow side and forward movement induces chucking.

At the tampa show last winter I checked every hitches on display and at everyone I asked how could I make the hitch more solid in order to help with chucking and everyone looked at me as if I out of it. My hitch is solid and will not change until I will find a better one. So far the only hitch available to my satisfaction is made in Canada and for 30K Lbs, and not to be installed inside the box of a truck, it is a frame mounted unit.

Some may think my truck is to light for a BC, but I feel the ride has been just right for the load the BC puts on my hitch and it still rides well empty or loaded without any adjustment for different loads.