Electric Steps

Wharton

I am thinking about changing the steps in our BH to electric. I find the manual ones are very heavy for my wife to pull out and put up as we travel. I have found 2 brands: Kwikee and Stomberg-Carlson. Does anyone have any experience with these brands? Had anyone switched to electric steps?

Any input would be appreciated.................

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Tom,

Don't have any experience with these, but I'm interested in doing the same thing if possible. Please post if you find out more.

brianharrison

I looked into it however I have not seen a 4 step replacement for my current 4 step manual. The last step from a 3 step electric would be about 12 to 13 inches to the ground vs 6 off the 4th step. A bit too much for my fragile knees.

As well, the mounting points would have to be modified - current steps are mounted on the side of a drop down angle bracket on each side of the step, electric steps bolt to the underside of the 5th wheel. This is fixed with a rectangular box channel adapter piece, but it is a bit of work.

Interesting to note Stromberg Carlson is made by Lippert - same as our frames. Kwikee was just bought out by Actuant? (not confirmed).

Take care,
Brian

Wharton

OK. Here is what I learned so far. Yes Kwikee was bought by Actuant. The customer service function is now non-existent. However, Kwikee seems to be the vendor most rv mfgs. use and there seems to be very little problems. They only have a triple step, no quad, but there are 2 versions. I will need to print out the specs and check to see if either are long enough.

The other company is Stromberg-Carlson(yes, a Lippert company). That brand doesn't seem to be too popular, haven't found any comments on them one way or another.

I am going to "ask the factory" about the possibility of electric steps with 4 steps. I will also contact Master Tech in Elkhart to see if they have a solution.

Any step you replace will mount differently than the one you have. That is a given unless you luck out and find the exact same step(ha!!).

Will keep you updated on my hunt.

May end up going with a 3 step plus a manual step(really don't want that), or, see if I can mount a bottom flip up step(manual) and still close the 3 step.

brianharrison

Good stuff Wharton, I am looking forward to your update.

One thing that was still outstanding on my list was how to extend the step from the outside without having to open the door - with my door so far up I would have to stand right in front of the step to reach the door and then get hit by the step as I opened the door. Maybe I just need to be quicker in moving out of the way - however I think there is a direct link to my age and my response time - only going up......

Take care,
Brian

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had electric steps on our Alfa Gold (previous RV). They usually worked great by you have to keep them lubricated or they have a tenancy to stick. I would like to have them on the Landmark.

Wharton

FYI-I tried posting to ATF and cannot do it. I reported it but have not had a resolution. I plan to ATF and see if the factroy has a vendor. If any of you are able to ATF please do so regarding the electric steps.