Mattress Talk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
OK, this may be a silly question, but I started thinking about upgrading the mattress from the [poor excuse for a mattress] 5" original.... My question is, those of you who have replaced your mattress, did you replace it with a mattress only, or mattress and box-spring? And did you have to go with a specific RV mattress, or will a conventional mattress fit? Ours in the ElkRidge is called a Queen size, but I have not measured it.

E

Wharton

We are doing the same thing. The mattress supplied in 5 months of use just is a piece of mush. I measured ours and it is a true Queen. We will be replacing it with a mattress only and also will be putting floor tiles on the wood beneath it so it slides easier. FYI-a mattress is about 60-70% of the cost of a box spring and mattress. Just so you don't have sticker shock.

Birchwood

When we purchased our new Landmark it had a king and the mattress only lasted a
year before the pillow top started bunching up.We decided to go queen for extra space
and we are not big people.I cut down the bedframe and purchased a residential mattress
only.I don't know where these RV companies purchase their furniture but its all very
poor quality.It looks pretty for the sale but after a short period of use it looks terrible.
We are slowly replacing all our furniture with the leatherette recliners going on Kijji
Friday.Sofa bed has been replaced with a leather loveseat and new recliners will also
be leather.

robnmo

Same here, we went out and purchased a pillow top residential Queen and replaced the one that came with the RV. No problem getting the old one out and new one in. We did not buy a box springs but we did pick a mattress that stated "Can be used with or without a foundation".

jpdoggett

We have a 2011 Landmark Augusta and it has a King size bed and has a great mattress in it but we also put a 3" memory foam on top realy makes it good sleeping

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We replaced our rv mattress with a standard residential mattress with now problems. Since the rv bed sits on a sheet of plywood/wafer board it provides more support than a standard box springs/foundation.

floridarandy

I can't say enough about the memory foam mattress we got from Overstock.com. Fit the stock queen bed space in our rig perfectly. It's a 13" which is actually composed of 4 layers of different density foam. You can arrange the layers to suit the firmness you like. It comes with a quilted, zippered mattress cover and uses standard, deep pocket sheets. I sleep better on this mattress in our 5ver than I do on our much more expensive mattress at home.

I was actually embarassed to take the stock mattress to Goodwill (along with the stock recliners).

$321.99 plus $2.95 shipping. We're actually thinking of replacing our home mattress with the king version of this bed at about 1/3 the cost of a Tempurpedic.

Sweet dreams!

caissiel

We changed ours to residential queen from a California king, I had a sore back for a week after we purchased our unit, so I purchased the same quality mattress I have been using all my life and we are in comfort now. Did the frame modification on one night and the mattress was in. We bought ours from sears and there was no problem to only buy the mattress without the base. You might want to test the mattress off the base in the store, because the base is usualy softer then the board in our units. Thats what I did with about 6 units right on the floor.

I have to agree on the manufacturers side of suppling a cheap mattress, there is no way to satisfy everyone with a mattress model. No way I stay in motels due to their mattresses, so RVing has been my solution for comfortable sleep.

brianharrison

We just replaced the King mattress in the Grand Canyon with a custom 72x80 Simmons Beautyrest, thickness is 11.5". Standard North American king is 76x80, california king is 72x84; neither size would fit in the bedroom. A smaller queen 60x80 did not fill up the space to my liking.

In a previous trailer I replaced the RV queen (60x76) with a standard residential queen (60x80). I had the extra room at the end to accomodate the 4" difference.

I only use a mattress, and the tight top brand which measures about 11-12" thick. Not the pillow top or comfort top which are thicker at 13-14' and 16-18" (approx).

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Brian

HappyKayakers

Shortly after getting my BH, I got rid of the queen mattress and replaced it with a memory foam mattress from Wally World. Can't remember how much it cost but it still feels good after 5+ yrs fulltiming.

Donna80

Did your bedframe have drawers? We have a 2012 with a drawer at the foot and one on each side - seems like it will be a tricky mod to convert to queen.

twohappycampers

This past weekend we modified our king bed to a queen. We weren't able to cut the board down to queen size because of the size of the base (without totally redoing the base and we weren't about to do that, too much work, and would cut down on the underbed storage). But we were able to lop off 3 inches off the one side - the one closest to the door - gives us some much appreciated extra legroom. That left approx 2 inches of rough chipboard exposed on either side when the queen mattress went on. Not ideal, but workable. We'll cover it with something soon, maybe some foam and faux leather.

Another thing, now we bump our toes on the base on that side because there's no overhang - kick space or whatever it's called. Need to be aware of that :mad: it hurts!

But we're loving our new mattress. We bought a SpringAir Back Supporter. Oh, just a reminder if you don't already know, ask the furniture store whether the guarantee is still good even if you're not using a foundation or boxspring, just a sheet of plywood.

We cut the board down with a jigsaw without removing it, just cut along the line we drew 3 inches in from the side. We did remove the piece of the board closest to the headboard to cut it down, just a few screws to get at it, and putting it back was a little dicey because the tension on those rods that hold the board ... well, I can't really describe it, but you'll see what I mean if you try this. Ask for further info if you wish, otherwise I won't go into it.

We used our central vac to suck up the sawdust as we went along. Still, dust and splinters flew around some, but it helped a lot.

All in all, we're really pleased we got the queen. We could have just gone to a custom-sized king, but it would have been double the money, ugh! and we wouldn't have gained that extra legroom around the bed. And we have a 30-day trial period on this mattress, which we wouldn't have been able to get on a custom size. And we can use the queen size bedding I've been storing.

Now the bed isn't centered to the headboard :( but I hope to change that sometime anyway. Or leave it the way it is. You know, the things that really bug you at the beginning, after a while you hardly notice them, and it becomes a question of "is it really worth all the work and money" ;)

I think it's important to take's one time (aka procrastination :eek:) and not get all gung-ho changing things right away. Especially where money's concerned ... the important thing like a good mattress should not take a back seat to things like new curtains, or other cosmetic stuff. I still have many things I wish to do, but I'm going to try to make sure that the important things are bought and paid for before I attack the niceties (is that even a word?) Necessities before niceties?

So, maybe you don't have to totally remake your base because of the drawers? Maybe you can cut the board down enough on the sides, leaving the drawers intact?

Thought it was worth mentioning. Take good care - Lorna

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home and love it. For our Landmark's king size bed board we bought a king sized memory foam mattress online for less than $300. It was recommended for truckers. It is not as good as my Tempurpedic, but way better than any standard mattress. No more aching backs or hips.

twohappycampers

It was worth the $45 delivery fee for us to have the mattress store deliver the new mattress, carry it in and plop it down and unwrap it! My husband was able to remove the old king size without too much trouble at all, using the trick we learned here about folding it up and using ratchet strap to hold it. They're not all that heavy (low quality will do that :eek:) Except for memory foam - that stuff is HEAVY!!