Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this OK...or is it bad?

1. Print this Post   #11
    Past Heartland Ambassador kakampers's Avatar

Re: Is this OK...or is it bad?

We too have done it many times...as long as you're hooked up to electric, you do not need to unhook your truck from the trailer...won't hurt a thing!
    Ken & Kathy - H.O.C. #1077
    '17 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD DRW Long Bed w/Nav, Sunroof, Curt 24Q, WIFI, Sprayed liner, Deep Ruby Metallic!
    '2013 Landmark Key Largo, Fullbody Paint and virtually every option PLUS Mor Ryde IS and Disc Brakes - Our Dream Coach!!

2. Print this Post   #12
    Oklahoma Chapter Leaders-Retired Hastey's Avatar

You shouldn't be able to back feed the A/C to your trucks D/C system. The battery maintenance system would hold that off. If it done anything it would just keep trickle charge to your TVs battery(s)
    Oklahoma Chapter Leaders-Retired
    Rex Hastey, Retired Army
    Wife Stacy, 11 yrs Army, now RD/LD
    Our Furry Kids Arnie and QP (cue-pee)
    Henryetta, OK

Too Many Now To List.

3. Print this Post   #13

Quote Originally Posted by Hastey View Post
    You shouldn't be able to back feed the A/C to your trucks D/C system. The battery maintenance system would hold that off. If it done anything it would just keep trickle charge to your TVs battery(s)
    I beg to differ. Most tow vehicles have a 12VDC line intended to charge your RV batteries while you are driving. so, your truck's DC battery and charging system is tied directly to the RV's 12VDC system, with the RV Battery(s) and the DC side of the RV 110VAC/12VDC converter, as well. When your truck is turned off, and the RV is on shore power, the convertor is charging your truck battery in parallel to the RV battery. This exactly is a backfeed.

Rodbuster - I can second RVacation Campground. I lived there for two and a half years. http://www.rvacation.us/ - say hi to Tony and Camper for us.
    Rick and Jan Hansen

2009 Bighorn 3670RL, #1735
    2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT, Crew-Cab 4X4 Duramax, Curt 20K Q5 Hitch

Full-Timers working and RV'ing since Nov-2005

4. Print this Post   #14
    Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret) boatto5er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickhansen View Post
    I beg to differ. Most tow vehicles have a 12VDC line intended to charge your RV batteries while you are driving. so, your truck's DC battery and charging system is tied directly to the RV's 12VDC system, with the RV Battery(s) and the DC side of the RV 110VAC/12VDC converter, as well. When your truck is turned off, and the RV is on shore power, the convertor is charging your truck battery in parallel to the RV battery. This exactly is a backfeed.

Rodbuster - I can second RVacation Campground. I lived there for two and a half years. http://www.rvacation.us/ - say hi to Tony and Camper for us.
    Wow! Forgot all about Camper. He's a part of the culture there!

Gus and Debra Funderburg (Founding Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina Chapter Leaders - Retired)
    Romeo and Juliet (the mischievous Dachshunds)
    2011 Landmark Grand Canyon (Code name - The Landmark Diner)
    HOC #1054
    2019 Ford F-350 DRW Crew Cab, 6.7L PowerStroke (The Gray Ghost)

5. Print this Post   #15
    Oklahoma Chapter Leaders-Retired Hastey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickhansen View Post

That's just what I said, the A/C current from your shore hook-ups cannot get to your tow vehicle. The 12VDC "battery tender" will not let any A/C current to your TV. Even if you are not connected there is 12VDC to that feed from your truck. In fact this is the same feed that I tapped into that runs my transfer pump for fueling my equipment around the farm from my aux tank and it is live all the time.

Now just so you know I'm not just talking out my rear, and btw I am in now way trying to be a smart-a## either so please don't take it that way. Take your multi-meter or testlight out and check your 7-pin without anything hooked up or on. With the truck off you will have 12VDC there at the Aux Pin. With your trailer hooked to 30/50 amp check your trailer connection and you will have 12VDC there to. So backfeed or not you are only adding 12VDC to a 12VDC system. JMHO
    Oklahoma Chapter Leaders-Retired
    Rex Hastey, Retired Army
    Wife Stacy, 11 yrs Army, now RD/LD
    Our Furry Kids Arnie and QP (cue-pee)
    Henryetta, OK

Too Many Now To List.

6. Print this Post   #16

All Ford trailer battery wiring is on only when the key is on accessory or truck running. I had to installed an independent line directly connected to the battery with a circuit breaker, much bigger then the little factory installed line, because the truck was only able to charge the trailer batteries at a 6 amp rating. I would not think that that small line would cause any battery drain or overcharge.

I have my trailer setup on the truck, so as to have the trailer level when the weight is off the truck. I usualy only disconnect if the site is to short to allow the truck to stay connected. We usualy also have the car with us so the truck is hardly required to travel.
    Barbara and Laurent, Retired teacher and maintenance/engineering,Full Timing
    Mods: Hydraulic selector valves, Queen bed, heavier front closet rod, W/D door swing changed, 2" rear hitch. 2" pin box hitch.Added build in water filter, Replaced HW Tank Fittings. Modified 2 ceiling vents. Relocated shocks to 60deg. 9/16" U-bolts and spring plates.Center 7500 lbs Scissor Stabilizer Jacks. Hawkshead TPMS. Reinforced kitchen sink supports.More supports and longer rails to couch drawer. Modified bedroom steps for storage. Modified landing gear jacks, etc.
    2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Use ScangaugeII for Economy, available 60 XGauges and Scanner, Fuel Pressure Gauge, Max Energy by Hypertech set at 85HP for cooling, torque and economy. ELC Coolant and Filter and EGR cooler deleted. 2 added 1300lbs each spring plies, Fuel mileage 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. 6.2" din2 touch screen car Radio with DVD, TV, CD,SD,USB, GPS and Rear Cam,

7. Print this Post   #17

Silly question. When we were heading to the Keys last week, we left home about 3:30 pm, and drove to Ft. Pierce, FL., and found Treasure Coast RV Resort and pulled in about 8:45 pm. We were taken to a lot that was very level, so we didn't unhook from the hitch and I forgot all about unplugging the 7-pin connector. I connected the water and shore power and off to bed.

The following night while using the oven, it went out and I found that the propane tank was empty. I thought I checked my propane gauge the day before and had plenty of propane. My question is if you are connected to shore power and also the 7-pin connector what is the refrigerator using propane or electric?

Archie
    Archie & Barbara Prince
    SE Georgia (Home)/Middle Tennessee (Home away from Home)
    2018 Ram Laramie CC, 4X4 3500 6.7l Cummins/Aisin Transmission
    2018 Big Horn 3160EL
    Curt Q5 20K Hitch
    TST TPTMS
    HOC# 1782

8. Print this Post   #18
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by archbarb View Post
    Silly question. When we were heading to the Keys last week, we left home about 3:30 pm, and drove to Ft. Pierce, FL., and found Treasure Coast RV Resort and pulled in about 8:45 pm. We were taken to a lot that was very level, so we didn't unhook from the hitch and I forgot all about unplugging the 7-pin connector. I connected the water and shore power and off to bed.

The following night while using the oven, it went out and I found that the propane tank was empty. I thought I checked my propane gauge the day before and had plenty of propane. My question is if you are connected to shore power and also the 7-pin connector what is the refrigerator using propane or electric?

Archie
    Archie, If your reefer is set to auto, it should switch to 110 as soon as you plug into shore power. If not on auto, it will run on LP. Do you know for sure if the shore power was working? Usually the breakers in the pedestal are off until you turn them on after plugging in.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

9. Print this Post   #19

The 50 amp breaker at the pedestal was on and the refrigerator was set to auto. I'm sure my LP was lower than I thought!!!!!

Archie
    Archie & Barbara Prince
    SE Georgia (Home)/Middle Tennessee (Home away from Home)
    2018 Ram Laramie CC, 4X4 3500 6.7l Cummins/Aisin Transmission
    2018 Big Horn 3160EL
    Curt Q5 20K Hitch
    TST TPTMS
    HOC# 1782

10. Print this Post   #20

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Have done it plenty of times, no problems. I do disconnect the electrical from the truck, don't know if it is an issue, but figured at least that way nothing could feed back into the trucks system. Just hang the electrical cord over the side of the truck bed as a reminder in the morning to reconnect prior to taking off.
    We do the same.... also put down the rear stabilizers.

CS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast