Is this OK...or is it bad?

Rodbuster

Goob morning,

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip up to New Hampshire in about 5 weeks with our new Key Largo.
We are leaving from central Florida so we plan on spending the first travel night in N. Carolina and the second in Pa. On the first day, we plan on getting to N.C. about 4 or 5PM and leaving in the morning about 6AM.

What I would like to do is leave the unit hooked up to my truck and just hook up my electrical and water. Is that OK to do? We realize that there will be a little bouncing and don't see a problem.

Thank you
Rodbuster

scotty

Have done it plenty of times, no problems. I do disconnect the electrical from the truck, don't know if it is an issue, but figured at least that way nothing could feed back into the trucks system. Just hang the electrical cord over the side of the truck bed as a reminder in the morning to reconnect prior to taking off.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you don't have a place to stay in NC yet, RVacations RV park in Selma is good overnight stay location. In Selma, close to the exit, and easy in and out. Pull thrus so its fast come and go. If you're wanting to go a little further north, Carolina Crossroads is good, but a little more expensive and a little firther off the road. Just a couple of suggestions. Have a great trip.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've done the "don't unhook overnight stay" many times. Didn't know to unhook truck power tho, thanks for the tip!

Erika

robnmo

Same here, we've pulled in several times and don't unhook, we do still level the RV, chock wheels, and unhook the truck electrical same idea as Scotty, not sure if needed but don't want to take a chance on any feedback.

Rodbuster

Thank you for all your replies.

Thank you for the campground tips boatto5er... my wife made reservations at thr Selma campground about 3 weeks ago. We stopped by to just take a look at it about 8 months ago. Nice, neat, clean and as you say, easy to get into and out.

Thanks again
Rodbuster

szewczyk_john

I always unhooked the cable from the truck. An old timer once told me About a dead house battery will continue to pull power from the truck battery in order to draw a charge. It has been our practice for some time now

Birchwood

If our coach is level ,we have enough room and we don't need the truck we leave it connected for the night.
Never thought about disconnecting the power but nothing happened.All I know is
you can't operate your RV from your truck batteries (that is what I have been told).
If you leave it connected you won't have to worry about your trailer dropping for the first
5 minutes of your next day.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
@Birchwood... You "CAN" operate your RV from your truck (12 volt stuff). I have done it several times. And yes you can drain your truck battery if you use the R.V. long enough without either hooking up to shore power or starting your truck engine to recharge.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too have done it many times...as long as you're hooked up to electric, you do not need to unhook your truck from the trailer...won't hurt a thing!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
You shouldn't be able to back feed the A/C to your trucks D/C system. The battery maintenance system would hold that off. If it done anything it would just keep trickle charge to your TVs battery(s)

Rickhansen

You shouldn't be able to back feed the A/C to your trucks D/C system. The battery maintenance system would hold that off. If it done anything it would just keep trickle charge to your TVs battery(s)

I beg to differ. Most tow vehicles have a 12VDC line intended to charge your RV batteries while you are driving. so, your truck's DC battery and charging system is tied directly to the RV's 12VDC system, with the RV Battery(s) and the DC side of the RV 110VAC/12VDC converter, as well. When your truck is turned off, and the RV is on shore power, the convertor is charging your truck battery in parallel to the RV battery. This exactly is a backfeed.

Rodbuster - I can second RVacation Campground. I lived there for two and a half years. http://www.rvacation.us/ - say hi to Tony and Camper for us.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I beg to differ. Most tow vehicles have a 12VDC line intended to charge your RV batteries while you are driving. so, your truck's DC battery and charging system is tied directly to the RV's 12VDC system, with the RV Battery(s) and the DC side of the RV 110VAC/12VDC converter, as well. When your truck is turned off, and the RV is on shore power, the convertor is charging your truck battery in parallel to the RV battery. This exactly is a backfeed.

Rodbuster - I can second RVacation Campground. I lived there for two and a half years. http://www.rvacation.us/ - say hi to Tony and Camper for us.

Wow! Forgot all about Camper. He's a part of the culture there!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

That's just what I said, the A/C current from your shore hook-ups cannot get to your tow vehicle. The 12VDC "battery tender" will not let any A/C current to your TV. Even if you are not connected there is 12VDC to that feed from your truck. In fact this is the same feed that I tapped into that runs my transfer pump for fueling my equipment around the farm from my aux tank and it is live all the time.

Now just so you know I'm not just talking out my rear, and btw I am in now way trying to be a smart-a## either so please don't take it that way. Take your multi-meter or testlight out and check your 7-pin without anything hooked up or on. With the truck off you will have 12VDC there at the Aux Pin. With your trailer hooked to 30/50 amp check your trailer connection and you will have 12VDC there to. So backfeed or not you are only adding 12VDC to a 12VDC system. JMHO

caissiel

All Ford trailer battery wiring is on only when the key is on accessory or truck running. I had to installed an independent line directly connected to the battery with a circuit breaker, much bigger then the little factory installed line, because the truck was only able to charge the trailer batteries at a 6 amp rating. I would not think that that small line would cause any battery drain or overcharge.

I have my trailer setup on the truck, so as to have the trailer level when the weight is off the truck. I usualy only disconnect if the site is to short to allow the truck to stay connected. We usualy also have the car with us so the truck is hardly required to travel.

archbarb

Silly question. When we were heading to the Keys last week, we left home about 3:30 pm, and drove to Ft. Pierce, FL., and found Treasure Coast RV Resort and pulled in about 8:45 pm. We were taken to a lot that was very level, so we didn't unhook from the hitch and I forgot all about unplugging the 7-pin connector. I connected the water and shore power and off to bed.

The following night while using the oven, it went out and I found that the propane tank was empty. I thought I checked my propane gauge the day before and had plenty of propane. My question is if you are connected to shore power and also the 7-pin connector what is the refrigerator using propane or electric?

Archie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Silly question. When we were heading to the Keys last week, we left home about 3:30 pm, and drove to Ft. Pierce, FL., and found Treasure Coast RV Resort and pulled in about 8:45 pm. We were taken to a lot that was very level, so we didn't unhook from the hitch and I forgot all about unplugging the 7-pin connector. I connected the water and shore power and off to bed.

The following night while using the oven, it went out and I found that the propane tank was empty. I thought I checked my propane gauge the day before and had plenty of propane. My question is if you are connected to shore power and also the 7-pin connector what is the refrigerator using propane or electric?

Archie
Archie, If your reefer is set to auto, it should switch to 110 as soon as you plug into shore power. If not on auto, it will run on LP. Do you know for sure if the shore power was working? Usually the breakers in the pedestal are off until you turn them on after plugging in.

archbarb

The 50 amp breaker at the pedestal was on and the refrigerator was set to auto. I'm sure my LP was lower than I thought!!!!!

Archie

noobee

Have done it plenty of times, no problems. I do disconnect the electrical from the truck, don't know if it is an issue, but figured at least that way nothing could feed back into the trucks system. Just hang the electrical cord over the side of the truck bed as a reminder in the morning to reconnect prior to taking off.

We do the same.... also put down the rear stabilizers.

CS