Distance from Bed Rails

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
What is the suggested distance between the underside of the fifth wheel and the truck bed rails? The nose of the North Trail is sitting a little high. I can lower the hitch 2 more notches, but that closes the gap in-between. The next option would be to lower the rear of the Dodge. Any opinions? It's all new to me.

jnbhobe

Jamie; you need about 6" or more, you should check yours when hooked up just to see how close your tonneau cover is on a turn. I'm pretty sure you can get away with lowering it at least one hole. As far as lowering the Dodge, if there is a block between the spring and the axel you may be able to change it or remove it. If it is a tapered block you will have to maintain that angle so you don't change the pinion angle. JON

porthole

Retired
Looking at your rig when you pulled out the Truck seems to sit a bit high in the back, throwing your tow angle out.
Have you checked the dodge forums to see about lowering the truck?

Save your parts though for when you upgrade to the next trailer :)

jpajax

Check the spring shackles on camper to see if there is a set of adjustment holes. If not you maybe able to add blocks between the frame and shackles to adjust the camper to the right hight.