AC Leaking on bed

goodtruck

The front AC unit is making water on the recirc side.it only dos it when the unit temp control is set more then 1/2 way to the more cold position.I have made sure that the drains are clear and also built up the hight of the drain tank walls.this is what the local dealer tecs have said to do but it still is leaking (on the bed wifes side) and I am at a loss to find the reason any help will be gratefully appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things that I can think of to check. You are in Texas, so we can rule out rain water leaking in.
Some people have had condensate from coils icing up when they run the fan on low speed. Make sure you use high.
Also take the cover of of the unit on the inside. Look around in there for any gaps that could allow water to leak in or a place where the warm outside aire could infiltrate and make contact with the cold interior, causing condensate.
Just a couple thoughts.
Good luck and come back when you get if figured out and let us know what the fix was.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

Check the mounting bolts, water may be coming down around the rivet-nuts. This common when the mounting bolts are over tightened. They only need to be 14 in-lbs.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a similar problem with my Dometic Pinguin 13.5k in the bedroom. If we set the thermostat all the way to the right (colder) it will normally freeze up. When it does that I turn in on high fan only and it will evaporate the frost and not leak onto the bed. If you turn the A/C off the frost will cause a large wet spot on the foot of the bed.

If I turn the thermostat to about half way it will not get as cool as I would like but it will keep it reasonable in the bedroom for the night.

Going to have a Dometic rep check it out and clean it on the inside.

BC

hcriddle

We had the same problem in Goshen at the rally. I started running the ac unit on high and it seemed to clear up. We only had one other time that we had water. I checked the drains and took the interior cover off and found nothing. I think it was just from running the unit on low or medium fan speed that caused it to ice up and leak water on the bed.

goodtruck

UPDATE I removed the outer cover and looked close at the inner cover and did find a small air gap.So I took plummers puddy and made sure that the area around the wires was sealed well and then used Gorllia Tape and went around the upper and lower seal and this really helped. Did not totaly stop the water but cut it at least 90%.today I will look for air leak between the unit and the roof. Let you know how it go's.

goodtruck

Well I can say I found the problem.Took the ceiling cover and the mounting plate off to get a good look at the system.what I found was the plenum was coming louse and the aluminum tape that covers the gap between the ceiling and the roof had large holes in it.
I went to Lowes and got a roll of the aluminum HVAC tape that was 2.5 inches wide and two sided mounting tape that was 1/2 inch wide and 4 #8x18 self taping screws around 20 bucks.
completely recovered the space between the ceiling and the roof with the HVAC tape to make sure I got a good seal.then I removed the plenum ans replaced the 2 sided tape put it back in place and put the 4 screws in 1 in each corner. put it all back together and turned it on HIGH and let it run for 3 hours turned it off and NOT A DROP came out.
After weeks of worrie and confusion it feels good to suceed.Thanks for the help and Ideas.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Regarding thermostat and room not getting cool enough, our BR air works best this way: while unit is off, turn thermostat to max number, then back it off one-half number. This will keep the BR just right and cool enough for us and it will cycle except during the hottest part of the day. We have a Penguin in the BR as well.