Border Crossing

RuralPastor

In a couple of weeks, we're crossing the US/Canada border for the first time with an RV. What has been your experience as far as inspections, etc. I know I have to leave my pea shooter home (handgun) :eek:but I also keep hearing about foods, fruits, and vegetables that are limited. I've checked the Canadian web sites, but honestly I can't get a clear indication of what the protocol is, or isn't. Thanks. Mark

Retyred

When I cross in either direction I do not carry fruit and vegetables and have no problems.

Martin

RuralPastor

Thanks Martin, are you speaking about "fresh" fruits and vegetables, or canned/frozen? Sorry for the dumb questions but I have not traveled this road before! Mark
When I cross in either direction I do not carry fruit and vegetables and have no problems.

Martin

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Normal rule is do not carry any fresh fruit or vegitables, no fire arms or fireworks or weapons, no fire wood,1 litre of booze per person, less than 10k in any currency.

Retyred

I should have included the word fresh, packaged processed and frozen food should be OK as it has a processors name and where the item come from.
They do not want to see loose items not knowing where they came from.

Martin

Moose

You can't carry any fire wood.

BC

Don't worry. We got lots, and lots and lots of trees up here. LoL

Also as was poster in another thread. Take of sunglasses and hat's. (No need to take out dentures. ROFL)

Enjoy your visit.

wdk450

I have also heard on other RV sites, you cannot take any pepper spray or BEAR SPRAY (!!!) into Canada.

beardedone

Beardedone
Bear spray used to be ok and I think it still is BUT it has to be in the big cans so it cannot be concealed as a weapon. In other words just for bears. By the way do not take any chances, tell them when asked. If you don't and they find it then you might be doing a 180 turn.

MC9

Just came back yesterday from Gore Bay, Ont. With gas at 1.35.9 per litre nobody is going into Canada. The canadians are streaming south shopping and gassing up at our great price at 3.76.9. such a deal!! Mile long lines southbound, 5 vehicle line northbound. (all canadian plates).

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Just was in Thunder Bay visiting Fort Williams a week ago. We were surprised when we were asked (among the others) if we had any mace with us! Canandian guy was all business, when we were coming back on MN side, border guy found out the town we're from and talked for awhile..... I'm sure the line behind us figured we were in deep trouble!

RuralPastor

Hey everyone, your replies have relieved some impending stress about making the crossing. We're headed to MB (Erickson) for a week to visit some friends, and then will be coming back through the Range of MN for a few days (Hoyt Lakes) to visit some more. Last time we crossed was pre 9-11, and things were sure different then. I do appreciate a secure border.

RuralPastor

Forgot something...yes, my 44 gallon tank will be full on the southside (thanks for the heads up--even though I have no idea if 1.35/L is good or bad!)

Manzan

We go into Canada a couple of times a year and have never had any problems. Coming back we have had the trailer gone through but it seemed they were more interested in the trailer than looking for any contraband. Have an enhanced drivers license with passport as a back up. Lots of Canadians come down shopping and to fill their tanks if they live close enough to the border to make it pay. Just be sure to be polite and obey the signal lights.