Sites to See

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just thought it might be nice to mention some of the sites to see as we travel around. This might help the rest of us in our travels so we don't miss anything worth seeing. Here is an example: We are staying at the Palms RV Park in Dickinson, Texas right now. Close by is NASA (Houston Space Center), Kemah (Restaurants, amusement park, shopping and boating), The Texas City Dike (Great salt water fishing), Gulf Greyhound Dog Race Track (largest dog track in the US), Moody Center (Galveston, Tx) and all of the other sights to see in Galveston (about 10 miles away). Then there is all of the sights to see in Houston (45 miles away).

Where are you and what is there to see?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Re: Sites tre o See

Intresting subject Jim.

If anyone is in the area of Houston here is an intresting place. There use to be a place called Forbidden Gardens at Katy TX but they have closed it down and are selling off all the exibits.
One is at Shulenburg TX and the Painted Churches..

Another is the King Ranch located in south Texas between Corpus Christi and Brownsville. Intresting to learn about it's history. This ranch is bigger than the state of Rhoade Island.

Lots of thing to see here.

BC

jmgratz

I forgot to mention this place. We haven't visited it yet but sounds...interesting. The national Funeral Museum is on the north side of Houston.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Jim, do you think all of us OLDER folks really want to go to a Funeral Museum? Sort of like years ago when we were passing a cemetery a friend said " People are dying to get in there"

We will experience one soon enough... LOL.. If Christ comes soon I won't have to worry about one.

BC

jmgratz

U R Funny Bobcat.:) BTW don't forget about the Aquarium Restaurant in downtown Houston...it has a ferris wheel, walkthrough aquarium and other special stuff and it is a great place to eat.

jjriker

Great idea for a thread! I'm waiting to hear what other places people recommend as "must-sees". So far everyone is mentioning Houston! ;)

Manzan

The Old Threshers Reunion in Mt Pleasant, Iowa is something to see if you like steam. This year it is Sept. 1-5. The largest of it's sort in the US. The museum is open most of the year but for the reunion, there are steam tractors from all over and they fire up and have a big parade. Old gas/diesel tractors also. There is a campground with hook ups but most camp on grass terraces with just electric. First come, first served with those. Have steam train engines and old street cars for transportation around the campground and up to the stadium. We went once when we were in Iowa for a wedding and sure want to go again. Wife's brother in law is a real old tractor nut and we went with them. We could stay for just a couple of the days and could not see everything.

jmgratz

Just thought of a couple of other must sees...both are in Mitchell, South Dakota; Wall Drug and the Corn Palace.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

Great idea for a thread... We just left the Detroit MI area and saw the Henry Ford museum and his Greenfield Village that contained his boyhood home as well as Thomas Edison's home and shop also the Wright bros. home and bicycle shop. A very historic area. Also went to the Chrysler museum and saw many old cars that brought back many memories.

We are now at Traverse City MI and saw a couple of very old lighthouses, some sand dunes and an old US Coast Guard rescue station.

More to come.

jmgratz

If you ever get to Fort Myers, Florida you can visit Thomas Edison's winter home and laboratory. His house is next to Henry Ford's winter home. You can tour both houses and the lab for one fee. Very interesting.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084

Does anyone know of things to see in and around Corpus Christi, Rockport area.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

In 1876 one of Edison's goals was to make one important invention every 6 months and a minor one every 10 days and he came very close to that goal. This was on one of the plaques at his complex in Michigan.

olcoon

I forgot to mention this place. We haven't visited it yet but sounds...interesting. The national Funeral Museum is on the north side of Houston.

Along those lines...try out St. Joseph, Mo. They have the Gore Psychiatric Museum, I've never visited it though...not brave enough. When I was on the Sheriff's Dept. I had to take too many people there (it's the old state mental hosp). I swear, everytime I left I'd look in the rear view mirror & see guys in white coats with butterfly nets chasing the patrol car!

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Some places in Rockport might be:
Texas Maritime Museum
Goose Island State Park
Fulton Mansion
The Big Tree

If you go north past Goose Island SP check out the Turtle Bay Cafe. It is a place that all the locals go to eat breakfast. You should see the breakfast ham steak.

Turtle Bay Cafe.jpg

BC

jmgratz

Corpus Christi is the home of the Texas State Aquarium and the WWII aircraft carrier the Lexington. Both are worth the admission fee. Padre Island is also in Corpus Christi. (Not to be confused with South Padre Island which is near Brownsville)

DMitch

There are many many great places to see in this country. But everyone that can make it, should visit Washington D.C.. So much history of this great country and so so much to see. My fav's are all of the war memorials, Lincoln and Washington monuments. So many museums you could spend months thier.

Buford445

Not as much to see BUT Fish Tails on Galvaston Island is a great place to eat, try their shrimp kisses mmmmmmmmm goooood Cades Cove in Tn outside of Knoxville is nice to see (Its where I ask her to married me)

jmgratz

The Museum of the Gulf Coast in Port Arthur Texas is neat. It has Janis Joplin's Porsche and an assortment of Music, Sports and other famous persons from the southeast Texas area. It also has the history of the oil industry in this area which is the world's largest concentration of petrochemical industry. Beaumont, Texas 15 miles north has the Spindletop museum which is the home of the oil industry beginnings. It is interesting too. BTW the Port Athur RV Park has just reduced they prices to $500 a month all bills included. So for you winter Texans keep this newly opened park in mind.