Roof warranty?

jgdds

I have a 2009 Cyclone that I purchased new from an out of town dealer. I have had several small issues come up and have fixed them myself. However, this morning when I climbed up on the roof to wash it down before taking it back over to covered storage, I noticed the roof material had pulled loose at the front near the nose cap and it has ballooned up to the point that it popped off the rubber trim covering the screws. I didn't see any areas of water ingress, and decided not to wash it for now. My question is, is this part of the 10 year warranty on the roof? And, can it just be pulled tight and resealed or will the entire roof need to be replaced?

I would love for it to be covered under warranty, but am willing to pay to have it fixed properly if need be. What would the best option be here?

Thanks,

Josh

danemayer

I'm not positive, but I'd guess that the material is warranted for the 10 year period. Installation is done by Heartland and may only be covered for 1 year. You probably ought to start by calling Heartland customer service to talk about how the warranty coverage might apply in this situation and how to proceed.

brianharrison

A good RV repair shop that know EPDM roofs should be able to remove the trim piece at the joint of the cap and EPDM and lift the rubber and re-bond the EPDM to the plywood sheathing. Replacing the trim and sealing with Dicor lap sealant should make the roof near good as new. A full roof replacement is not neccessary in my opinion.

I have heard of some shops being able to make a hole in the EPDM insert a tube and inject glue/sealant under the EPDM material and re-roll to smooth it out in areas not accessible near a natural edge (something like laparoscopic fat removal, except in reverse with glue :)). The hole in the EPDM is repaired with a Dicor patch kit.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Brian

jgdds

Thanks for the input Dan and Brian. I spoke with a Heartland CS rep and also a tech today and both agreed that it was out of the one year warranty so it would not be covered, and that it should be easily repaired like you suggested Brian. The tech did say, he was more concerned about the repair shop finding a cause and fixing that to keep it from happening again and that if they had any questions they could contact him directly(he gave his name and #). I have scheduled an appt to take it in the first week of August so I will post back once I get the details on the cause and the fix.

Thanks again!

brianharrison

Glad you have a plan in place to resolve your problem.

Good you caught it before it ballooned too bad and stretched the EPDM out of shape. When ballooning is real bad the EPDM will permanently stretch and thin out like an old weathered balloon after you deflate it. In this scenario the roof material may need to be replaced. A good tech will be able to visually see the integrity of the EPDM and if the material is compromised. Sounds like you caught yours early enough.

Take care,
Brian