power converter problems

RMARTIN

Anyone else having problems we have a 3010 that blew a converter tv and microwave and wei game heartland said it was our problem due to powerserge how ever their was another camper hooked to same supply pole and no problems their this unit also had speakers wired wrong tv/ sat wirede backwards water heater switch wired bacwards missing seals in outside lights leaking pipes cabinets doors come off and outside compartment doors wonT stay closed interior panel also keeps coming off any else see thease problems

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Re: poweconverter problems

Hey John, doe that surge protector work on 30 amp? I got one of those green ones from CW and it does not seem to work on 30amp, when I try it there is no go. also what is that box under your augusta? did you add that?
Don

davidg

Make a list with everything that needs attention and go visit your dealer, and good luck
David

Northern Virginia

Hey John, doe that surge protector work on 30 amp? I got one of those green ones from CW and it does not seem to work on 30amp, when I try it there is no go. also what is that box under your augusta? did you add that?
Don

I don't know if it will work when plugged into a 30 amp. Maybe someone else has done it before.
The box is a tool box I added, one on each side. They are really useful.

John

noobee

It is reasonable for Heartland to deny any responsibility for your electric problems. YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD SOME TYPE OF POWER PROTECTION. I use a SurgeGuard 50amp unit (from CW @ approximately $350) on both 50 & 30amp service without any problems (for 30amp you need a 50/30 adapter).

Too many horror stories of costly repairs without some type of protection.

CS

RMARTIN

Yes in a way i cold see their reasoning however i talked to an electronics guy and his answer was if both campers were running from same power source which they were theirs no way only one would sUrge it is posable only one would blow appliances however when he looked at my old converter he said in his opinion their was either a loose wire or something touched off two wires coming into it causing a short

wdk450

RMartin:
Check with your insurance carrier, and contact the campground owner asking about their liability insurance.

rebootsemi

Anyone else having problems we have a 3010 that blew a converter tv and microwave and wei game heartland said it was our problem due to powerserge how ever their was another camper hooked to same supply pole and no problems their this unit also had speakers wired wrong tv/ sat wirede backwards water heater switch wired bacwards missing seals in outside lights leaking pipes cabinets doors come off and outside compartment doors wonT stay closed interior panel also keeps coming off any else see thease problems

Not enough info, is this a 30 amp 50 amp, other camper probably had a surge guard. If this is a 50 amp, probably had a loose or lost neutral at the camp hookup, if that's the case you got 240 volt into your trailer, if a 30 amp unit could have been a power spike.

I still cannot believe that these trailers do not come with surge guards built in, would not cost HL that much to add especially with the 50 amp trailers.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had a similar thing happen to us at a campground. We lost very similar things and those around us had no problems. I forgot to hook up the EMS. Don't forget anymore. BTW my extended warranty paid for some things and the insurance paid for others. Doesn't take much to lose things. My advise is get a Progressive Industries EMS.

Northern Virginia
Not enough info, is this a 30 amp 50 amp, other camper probably had a surge guard. If this is a 50 amp, probably had a loose or lost neutral at the camp hookup, if that's the case you got 240 volt into your trailer, if a 30 amp unit could have been a power spike.

I still cannot believe that these trailers do not come with surge guards built in, would not cost HL that much to add especially with the 50 amp trailers.

You always have 240 volts at your panel with 50 amp service. If you lose your neutral, you will simply have an open neutral. You would have to substitute the other hot leg for the neutral to get 240 volts to you equipment.

Assuming you were connected to 50 amp service, it is possible that the 50 amp receptacle your camper was plugged into was incorrectly wired. If that receptacle had one of the hot legs and the neutral reversed, you would have gotten 240 volts to that leg of your panel which would have fried half your stuff. And the other guy, hooked up to the same supply pole but a correctly wired 50 amp outlet would have been fine. You might want to contact whoever manages the pole you were connected to.

John

rebootsemi

You always have 240 volts at your panel with 50 amp service. If you lose your neutral, you will simply have an open neutral. You would have to substitute the other hot leg for the neutral to get 240 volts to you equipment.

Assuming you were connected to 50 amp service, it is possible that the 50 amp receptacle your camper was plugged into was incorrectly wired. If that receptacle had one of the hot legs and the neutral reversed, you would have gotten 240 volts to that leg of your panel which would have fried half your stuff. And the other guy, hooked up to the same supply pole but a correctly wired 50 amp outlet would have been fine. You might want to contact whoever manages the pole you were connected to.

John

With a 50 amp you have two 120 volt 50 amp legs with a neutral and ground, your (trailer) panel sees it as two 120 volt circuits, if you loose the neutral you can very well get 240 to half of the stuff in your trailer..
http://www.myrv.us/electric/