Holding Tank Boom and Use of Clear Connector to Check Draining of Black Tank

DRGalligher

Prior to purchasing our 2011 BH 3055RL, we had a travel trailer. The black tank had a flush system, so when we dumped it, we would attach first a clear connector, then attach the dumping hose to it. This allowed us to easily see when the blank tank was flushed clean. With the dumping hose boom on the Bighorn, we can't use the clear connector because of it's location; the boom covers it. What have you done to bypass or solve this solution? Thanks in advance!

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I got a clear sewer conector that goes into the sewer hookup, got it at camping world

jpdoggett

Thanks for this info I have been looking for something, I have the sewer boom on my Augusta and I realy don't care for it. Wa told I could take it off no problem. I may try when we get back to Texas

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The solution for that problem was to remove it. This was the first thing I did.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I seem to recall my young neighbor at the rally had to disconnect his so he could attach enough hose to reach the foot high sewer pipe.

DRGalligher

I got a clear sewer conector that goes into the sewer hookup, got it at camping world

That's what we have already - it's about 7" long and connects directly to the trailer, then the hose connects to it. Problem is that we can't do this with the boom.

DRGalligher

The solution for that problem was to remove it. This was the first thing I did.

Peace
Dave

Dave - where are you storing your sewer hose now that the boom is off? In the basement in a container? DH says the boom is a nice concept but just doesn't make sense. Thanks.

caissiel

I had a boom on the previous trailer and still have it behind the garage where I stored it. Its a great idea that needs a lot more attention then the simple hose. And to me very messy as you always have a hose attached to your trailer. At least the seperate simple hose can be rinced easily

ihsolutions

I seem to recall my young neighbor at the rally had to disconnect his so he could attach enough hose to reach the foot high sewer pipe.
Young neighbor here. Yes, the sewer boom is not helpful where long connection distances are concerned. Not only did I have to short-circuit the boom, but I had to add an additional 10 feet to the 20 feet I already had. The 1 foot high connection point also was not helpful. When we left, we did a reenactment from the sewer dump scene in the movie RV!Other than that one time, I love my sewer boom!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave - where are you storing your sewer hose now that the boom is off? In the basement in a container? DH says the boom is a nice concept but just doesn't make sense. Thanks.

Currently I do keep it in the front garage, but that will change some time in the future. I have been kicking around a few ideas, one being to make a sewer hose storage like my 2008 BH had. Actually John Bylinski, (dbylinski), did a mod to their Bighorn 3185 that is simillar. HERE is a link to that mod. It was a good idea and looks good.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My 2011 BH came without a boom. HL said they were discontinued, due to lack of interest.

DRGalligher

Well, DH took the boom off yesterday. Sure looks kind of plain and not so fancy anymore . . . but, it is practical now.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Must've been much later model than our 2011. Interesting.
Heartland discontinued the sewer hose boom in mid August last year.
We got our BH in early August and my bro got his in late August. There were several changes, the discontunued hose boom being one of them.

Peace
Dave

Pizzaguy

I agree with cookie and brianharrison. I removed mine after first trip out. The sewer boom needs more R & D to be useable. They need to look at the Pivot-Eze on another brand and duplicate that system.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Young neighbor here. Yes, the sewer boom is not helpful where long connection distances are concerned. Not only did I have to short-circuit the boom, but I had to add an additional 10 feet to the 20 feet I already had. The 1 foot high connection point also was not helpful. When we left, we did a reenactment from the sewer dump scene in the movie RV!Other than that one time, I love my sewer boom!

I think almost everyone in the South Campground auditioned for that scene. After attempting it myself, I borrowed a hacksaw from a friend and cut the pipe down to four inches. But the pipe was still uphill from the rig. Next time I hit the lotto, I might invest in a macerator pump set just for the Goshen rallies.

Wharton

We put a PVC pipe on the trailer behind the tires and store our hose there. We had to build our own pipe as we have a Rhino sewer hose and it won't fit into the sewer hose carriers made for trailers. No big deal..................We also put in an additional gate valve at the external connection, happy we did that......................

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I removed my sewer boom right away also. We use the Sewer Solution most of the time and the boom was in the way. I have it packed away in case someone else wants to try it.

Westwind

Our 2012 Bighorn 3070RL was manufacturered in April and it did not have the boom, but it does have a storage tube for the sewer hose, I think I'm going to use it for the door mat since our house has a storage container and if we aren't going to use the WD I'll use our sewer solution. Although I haven't tired it yet I think I might use the sewer hose when using the WD and with the grey thanks open I have a clear connector with a flush out connection. Then maybe use the Sewer Solution when cleaning out the black tank. But one time switching these hoses and I probably just leave the big hose on. :cool: