Rain and auto-awnings (how do you tilt them?)

RanCarr

How do I tilt these automatic awnings to dump rain water? We have the BRS28 and no choice as this is the awning that comes with this model. This past weekend it rained while we were gone from the campground for a few hours and we came back to find the awning full of water. Also, can someone explain why it takes 15 minutes or more for the server for this Forun to respond? It takes so long it often times out. It's very discouraging to download messages and post here when it takes as long as 15 minutes just to get connected to the server.

RanCarr

I have no trouble with connection. I don't think the problem is on the server end.

This is the only Forum that takes so long to respond. How do you tip your awning so it dumps the rain water? Have you had your awning rip due to the weight of rain water collecting on it?

archbarb

If I'm understanding correctly, on our BC 3250TS, when the awning is out I go to the end away from the door, loosen the black knob, pull down on the arm to the degree I want and re-tighten.

As far as the connection, mine connects without any trouble right away!!!!!

Archie

GOTTOYS

Doesn't take me long to get a response either. If your awning is electric, after you put it out pull down on either end and tighten the knob on the arm. That will hold it down. Be sure to loosen it before you roll it up. If I'm going to be away I always roll it up. Why take a chance?..Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
RanCarr - welcome and sorry about having problems with the auto-awning. We have a new 2012 BC with 2 auto awnings. The big one over the door seems to have about an 1" difference between the left to right side so the rain water runs off without any major problems. The smaller awning on the slide was installed by the dealer after it came to the dealership from the factory. The only thing they could do was install it level so there is no run-off or slightly lower side. When we know that it might rain, we don't leave it extended.

Seeing that you are from TN, we would like to invite ya'll to the TN rally in Townsend, August 5-7 at Big Meadows Family Campground. This is a Heartland rally with lots of folks coming to. It's a great way to meet fellow HL owners.

Last edited:

RanCarr

If I'm understanding correctly, on our BC 3250TS, when the awning is out I go to the end away from the door, loosen the black knob, pull down on the arm to the degree I want and re-tighten.

As far as the connection, mine connects without any trouble right away!!!!!

Archie

There is no black knob or any kind of knob on the auto-electric-awnings. Just a switch inside the door. There is no arm to pull down like on the manual ones. You must have a manual awning. I was wondering what those of you with non-manual awnings do about the rain water collecting on it. This is a real PIA since we can't stay at the campgrounds 24/7 in case it rains. Or put everything away from under the awning and run it in when we leave for the afternoon, then drag everything back out later on. The dealer never mentioned how much water weight these non-manual awnings can take before they tear loose.

I have had trouble connecting to this server and at other times it connects quickly. Maybe I'm logging on during heavy usage.

RanCarr

Doesn't take me long to get a response either. If your awning is electric, after you put it out pull down on either end and tighten the knob on the arm. That will hold it down. Be sure to loosen it before you roll it up. If I'm going to be away I always roll it up. Why take a chance?..Don

Where is the knob on the electric awnings? All I see are the arms and the piston that pushes the awning out. At no time is the awning within reach to grab it and pull it down. For the same reason we can't put lights on it without using a ladder.

RanCarr

RanCarr - welcome and sorry about having problems with the auto-awning. We have a new 2012 BC with 2 auto awnings. The big one over the door seems to have about an 1" difference between the left to right side so the rain water runs off without any major problems. The smaller awning on the side was installed by the dealer after it came to the dealership from the factory. The only thing they could do was install it level so there is no run-off or slightly slower side. When we know that it might rain, we don't leave it extended.

We can never know when it's going to rain and we have a lot of stuff we keep under the awning. If we had to move it all back and forth we'd go bananas. If our awning has a slight tilt, we can't see it. When the water gets really full on it, the one arm drops a little and some, not all, of the water pours off. We travel and camp in a lot of places. The other day a thundershower caught us by surprise.

Seeing that you are from TN, we would like to invite ya'll to the TN rally in Townsend, August 5-7 at Big Meadows Family Campground. This is a Heartland rally with lots of folks coming to. It's a great way to meet fellow HL owners.

Thanks for the invite. Let me look up where Townsend it. :) I've never heard of it. We're about 20 miles southeast of Nashville. We may be too late to get a reservation.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Some electric awnings are not equipped with the black know for locking the arms. You may have to contact the manufacturer of the awning to see if they offer a kit to install one.

Ours on the Bighorn is not equipped with the knob, so I'm careful with the awning when it rains. When we leave, we roll it in. I love being able to just hit the button and it rolls in.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I have the Weather Pro electric awning, and the edge towards the back automatically goes down when water collects from rain. The weight of the water cause the support arm to fold, "bend", up causing that edge to go down and drain the water. I have had no problems with rain and we have had the awning since 2006. However, the automatic wind sensor does not work. Thus, if it is going to be windy, thunder storm wind, I put up the awning. Good luck with your awning.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some models of electric awnings do not have a manual arm on them. They may or may not be able to be retrofitted with a manual arm on one end. When our motor took a dump on us, I inquired about getting the free Dometic retrofit while still under warranty for the motor replacement and was told that our model would not work with it. Maybe somebody's nose grew longer, I don't know. But our awning seems to naturally drain towards the front of the rig when level, right over the motor. Since there are a number of people that actually tie down their electric awnings, you could put a bit more tension on one end to force it to drain.

From what you've posted, it would appear that you're trying to connect via a campground's WiFi. If so, then you're at the mercy of their server and the number of other campers trying to access it. Also relevent is how far you are from their antenna or repeater and what's between you and it. A metal skinned rig will block the signal and a passle of kids with electronic devices will gobble up the bandwidth. That's why I went to the Verizon MiFi, so I would have my own access.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Our electric awning has the auto-dump and it works, the first time it surprised us when it did it. We have no knobs on our awning. It is the Carefree awning.

awning.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Dometic awning, at least the one I have, has a different arm configuration. I'm not sure if it's supposed to flex to dump a water load, bend with an updraft, or just flip over the trailer and head to parts unknown if a breeze catches it. This was when I was installing the aluminum trim to cover the exposed edges of the slide floors.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Come on RanCarr - there's always room at the inn (haha) and speaking for everyone, we will all like to meet ya'll. It's pretty e-z getting to Townsend. You would come I-40 east to the Lenoir City exit 364. That's Hwy 321 which you will stay on all the way to Townsend. It's about 45 miles from I-40. Townsend only has 1 stoplight which you will turn left at, go about 200 yards, cross the river and turn left again (beside River Rat). You will be at the campground. It's a great place to ask questions and see what other folks have changed on their coaches.

funntheson

From what you've posted, it would appear that you're trying to connect via a campground's WiFi. If so, then you're at the mercy of their server and the number of other campers trying to access it. Also relevent is how far you are from their antenna or repeater and what's between you and it. A metal skinned rig will block the signal and a passle of kids with electronic devices will gobble up the bandwidth. That's why I went to the Verizon MiFi, so I would have my own access.

Yep, those darn kids! (quietly shuts off wifi on his iphone and ipad)

:)

RanCarr

Some electric awnings are not equipped with the black know for locking the arms. You may have to contact the manufacturer of the awning to see if they offer a kit to install one.

Thanks for the info. I don't think the locking knobs would work on the kind of awning we have. I took a really good look at the arms and pistons. There is no name on the awning or arms that we can see - but they're way above our head. They come straight out. It may be there and just can't be seen from the ground. Since the arms come out and lock automatically with electric awnings, I can't see what knobs would do. We had the knobs on the manual awnings (on the Zinger and Sunline) but they were made very differently. How do you get the one arm lower than the other when both lock in place? I think you have a different awning altogether. The whole piston would have to be removed from one side for one side to be lower than the other side, then somehow locked in place without the piston and no brace as on manual awnings. The other arm would have to support the entire weight of the awning with no support as with a manual set up. We would also have to use a ladder to reach the arms. Seniors and ladders are not the safest combo... and then we'd have to start to carry a ladder with us as the electric awnings are not within reach. I didn't think there would be an easy answer.

Ours on the Bighorn is not equipped with the knob, so I'm careful with the awning when it rains. When we leave, we roll it in. I love being able to just hit the button and it rolls in.

Then I assume you also keep something like a First-Up with the rain-curtains set up to move everything into when you leave the campground or when it rains. Then move everything back out under the awning when you return. Believe me, that's getting old fast and it's very inconvenient. I also miss the lights that hang from awnings. At no time is our awning within reach where we can attach the lights. We didn't realize some of these things when we bought the North Trail. You can't know everything until you own it and go camping with it. We didn't have these problems with the manual awnings on the Zinger and old Sunline. :*(

Basically we're happy with the NT. The cheap slider windows (poor ventilation) and the awning are the only negatives.

Manzan

Our NT 21 FBS has the electric awning and have been out in major downpours. Dumps just fine. The first time we were out, there was quite a bit of wind with the rain so brought the awning in about half way. Still dumped without a hitch. This trip was to the Oregon coast and they do get rain in March.

RanCarr

I have the Weather Pro electric awning, and the edge towards the back automatically goes down when water collects from rain. The weight of the water cause the support arm to fold, "bend", up causing that edge to go down and drain the water. I have had no problems with rain and we have had the awning since 2006. However, the automatic wind sensor does not work. Thus, if it is going to be windy, thunder storm wind, I put up the awning. Good luck with your awning.
That may be what we have also. I saw one arm bend inward and a load of water poured off the awning. There was no wind. We always brought in our awnings in in the wind. I just went out there and got all the booklets and papers that came with the NT. I'm going through them all again. I'm going to see if I can find information on the awning and rain. The last thing we want is to come back to the TT and find the awning torn off by the weight of rain water.

RanCarr

Some models of electric awnings do not have a manual arm on them. They may or may not be able to be retrofitted with a manual arm on one end. When our motor took a dump on us, I inquired about getting the free Dometic retrofit while still under warranty for the motor replacement and was told that our model would not work with it. Maybe somebody's nose grew longer, I don't know. But our awning seems to naturally drain towards the front of the rig when level, right over the motor. Since there are a number of people that actually tie down their electric awnings, you could put a bit more tension on one end to force it to drain.

I read another post about the one side giving and the water pouring off. That seems to be what our did that day. Just to be sure I'm going to go through the heavy package of info from Heartland again and see if I can find more information on the awning on the NT TT. Ours did dump the water toward the front of the rig, close to the motor and over the piston.

Campground wifi service is horrid. :( The pits. A bummer. The worst. I finally called our Satellite service and they said they've been having problems at several gateways. We're on one of those gateways doncha know? :( They promised it would be fixed tonight. :rolleyes: Seems I've heard that song before... next she'll be selling me swampland in AZ. When we snow-bird to FL this coming winter we're also getting Verizon. We'll be staying in a nice quiet little RV place off the beaten path outside Ocala. Not too far from The Villages. We're quite comfy in the NT. The floor plan is perfect for us and the 3 crazy cats. Oh, we hang a large cage on the outside of the bedroom window so they can go in and out safely. They love it. Cost? About $150.00. Pictures on the way.