New Ford F350 Diesels

Been a Ford guy and always loved the Ford Super Duty but lately they really are looking fantastic. Current plan is for a new 2012 F350d CC as a tow and work vehicle. I'm not familiar with the Dodge / Chevy comps at all. Without getting in to a war, if anyone knows of any issues I might have with the F350d over one of the other two comps out there it would be greatly appreciated. If there is a known issue I might be unaware of or if there is something really compelling about another brand that might make me reconsider. If you think it would be too inflammatory for the board please PM me. Again, not wanting to start a fight.... just looking for leads on anything I should look further in to before dropping 50+k on a truck that will hopefully be with me for a very long time.

Thanks.

danemayer

I think there have been a couple of posts about 2011 Fords that the beds are now higher than they used to be, causing the fifth wheel trailer to sit nose-high. If I'm remembering correctly, one guy was talking about raising his trailer at the axles to level it out while towing.

brianharrison

Earlier this year I was aware of a tranny shifting issue (April?). I have now heard a TSB (TSB 11-04-21) was issued to address this issue. Not sure if it is still an issue with newer trucks (Job 2 +)?.

If you wish to read some posts re:6.7 issues here is a link --> Clicky here. It is from a Powerstroke.org forum. I usually take most of the comments with a grain of salt.

In general, I have heard great things about the new Ford.

Brian

lwmcguir

Our F350 sits high unloaded at the tail gate. With the Augusta hitched up the rig sits perfectly level and with adequate box clearance. The truck is without no doubt the best one ton on the market when you compare all the features. The only reason to buy less truck is to save money.

ricatic

Been a Ford guy and always loved the Ford Super Duty but lately they really are looking fantastic. Current plan is for a new 2012 F350d CC as a tow and work vehicle. I'm not familiar with the Dodge / Chevy comps at all. Without getting in to a war, if anyone knows of any issues I might have with the F350d over one of the other two comps out there it would be greatly appreciated. If there is a known issue I might be unaware of or if there is something really compelling about another brand that might make me reconsider. If you think it would be too inflammatory for the board please PM me. Again, not wanting to start a fight.... just looking for leads on anything I should look further in to before dropping 50+k on a truck that will hopefully be with me for a very long time.

Thanks.

I have over 31000 miles on my 2011 Ford F350 SRW CC SB FX4 6.7 powered truck. I have towed our 3055RL Big Horn for 10000 of these miles. It has done a great job. Very powerful, very smooth and does great on fuel. I get 19 mpg or so highway running empty at 70 mph and 12 mpg pulling the fiver.

There have been no recurring issues with the new 6.7 powered trucks. There have been some reports of widely scattered transmissions with erratic shifting. These have been resolved with the most recent programming recalibrations released in late April. The only other reported anomalies were with the NOX sensor. This was also addressed in the April update.

The most compelling fact that comes to the forefront would support a Ford purchase. Ford built well over 300,000 2011 F Series 6.7 powered trucks. Ford sells 50% of all the HD pickups sold by the 3 manufacturers. Ford gained an additional 4.6% market share in 2011 to reach the 50% market share.

All 3 manufacturers build good trucks. I would suggest driving all 3 and then buy the truck that works best for you.

I highly recommend a trip to the Ford Truck Enthusiast's 6.7 forums for great information. It is far and away the most popular forum out there for accurate information without the drama and nonsense of the other sites. Here is a link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/

Earlier this year I was aware of a tranny shifting issue (April?). I have now heard a TSB (TSB 11-04-21) was issued to address this issue. Not sure if it is still an issue with newer trucks (Job 2 +)?.

If you wish to read some posts re:6.7 issues here is a link --> Clicky here. It is from a Powerstroke.org forum. I usually take most of the comments with a grain of salt.

In general, I have heard great things about the new Ford.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Great info over at the Powerstroke Forum.... appreciate the tip. Could spend a week reading through it all. From a quick overview looks like a great truck and motor.

I have over 31000 miles on my 2011 Ford F350 SRW CC SB FX4 6.7 powered truck. I have towed our 3055RL Big Horn for 10000 of these miles. It has done a great job. Very powerful, very smooth and does great on fuel. I get 19 mpg or so highway running empty at 70 mph and 12 mpg pulling the fiver.

There have been no recurring issues with the new 6.7 powered trucks. There have been some reports of widely scattered transmissions with erratic shifting. These have been resolved with the most recent programming recalibrations released in late April. The only other reported anomalies were with the NOX sensor. This was also addressed in the April update.

The most compelling fact that comes to the forefront would support a Ford purchase. Ford built well over 300,000 2011 F Series 6.7 powered trucks. Ford sells 50% of all the HD pickups sold by the 3 manufacturers. Ford gained an additional 4.6% market share in 2011 to reach the 50% market share.

All 3 manufacturers build good trucks. I would suggest driving all 3 and then buy the truck that works best for you.

I highly recommend a trip to the Ford Truck Enthusiast's 6.7 forums for great information. It is far and away the most popular forum out there for accurate information without the drama and nonsense of the other sites. Here is a link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/

Thats fantastic gas mileage. How do you get it, stock? Any mods? Are there any known inexpensive mods that improve mileage?

Thanks for the new forum link as well. I'm trying to read what I can before plunking down 60k on something.

kwb4444

I have a 2011 Ford 6.7, crew cab, long box. I have about 9,000 miles on it. Great truck. There are issues out there, such as transmission shifting and some issues with engine lights staying on. These issues are being addressed by Ford. They have issued several TSB on the subjects. All in all, I would buy one again.

Ford guarantees the truck for 60K miles or 100k miles. Check it out. I bought the extra insurance to cover the truck for 100K miles.

Your best bet is to drive all three and see what one you like. Originally I wanted the Chev duramax w allison trans. But the ford drove the best, had the QUIETEST engine. It was a lot cheaper than the Chev. Dodge was the cheapest, but the ford just better.

I would go for the 2012, if you can afford it.

ken

ricatic

Thats fantastic gas mileage. How do you get it, stock? Any mods? Are there any known inexpensive mods that improve mileage?

Thanks for the new forum link as well. I'm trying to read what I can before plunking down 60k on something.

My truck is stock...as are almost all of the 6.7 Ford's out there. They are very strong all around performers right off the dealers lot.

Modding this truck puts your warranty at significant risk. There is so much data logging occurring behind the scene that hiding any performance tuning is impossible. Ford tested the 6.7 trucks for over 10 million miles prior to release. They accumulated a tremendous amount of performance data during that testing. They know exactly how these trucks perform stock...and they log all operations continuously. Statistical aberrations show up immediately to the trained observers. Ford is denying warranty coverage to modded vehicles...as they should. The huge 6.0 warranty debacle gave Ford an expensive education...they will not be fooled again

Regarding the various Ford web boards, I visit them all regularly. I post occasionally on some but vastly prefer the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site. The other boards allow a lot more incivility and trolling appears to be welcome. FTE does not suppress factual and civil questions and discussions. They do not allow incivility, name calling and blatant trolling. The problem usually resolves itself because the members are very knowledgeable and quickly debunk any ridiculous claims. I have seen many trolling and contentious posts on other sites appear on FTE. Facts always seem to take care of these questions. A quick look at the daily thread and post counts among the Ford boards will verify the FTE popularity. FTE receives 2 to 3 times the web traffic of the other sites...JMO YMMV

Regards

lwmcguir

If you are considering a nose heavy trailer then the 20 inch tire/wheel option is a great way to go. The extra load capacity and stability is well worth the little extra money. However the replacement Michelins are a bit pricey.

ricatic,

Great post. Thanks. Stock it is. Was never interested in electronic tuning or anything but wondered if something as simple a new air intake or exhaust or such should be of benefit.

I would like to add air bags to the rear suspension. Will that void the warranty?

------

kwb,

I will be ordering the 2012. Plan is to buy the truck and trailer in the spring of 2012. Can't wait.

Thanks!

porthole

Retired
The Ford and GM tail gate heights are about the same, compared them both when looking for a new truck, both were several inches higher then my 06 GMC.
The 2011 DRW tailgate height is about 3" lower then the SRW's and equal in height to my GMC.

The only common complaint so far with towing is that there seems to be a "shuddering" issue during take off with a heavy trailer attached.
There have been a variety of opinions and repairs attempted but as of yet it seems to be a continuing issue.

I have a 11 DRW and it is a very good truck for towing.

Seems many are adding air bags on the 250's. 350's and even the DRW's to level the truck out with a trailer attached.

Not that he needs it but I will second all of "ricatic's" comments above.

ricatic

ricatic,

Great post. Thanks. Stock it is. Was never interested in electronic tuning or anything but wondered if something as simple a new air intake or exhaust or such should be of benefit.

I would like to add air bags to the rear suspension. Will that void the warranty?

------

kwb,

I will be ordering the 2012. Plan is to buy the truck and trailer in the spring of 2012. Can't wait.

Thanks!

Modifying the air intake or the exhaust will raise the red warranty flag in a hurry...air bags are fine

A member over at FTE has had some warranty issues because he installed an AFE intake and filter...Ford is being tough about modifications...at times borderline ridiculous but it is their money...and they are still stinging over the 6.0 debacle

Keep in mind that the 6.7 Ford diesel is a stout performer. It makes 400 hp and 800 lb ft of torque...it pulls like a freight train...additional power is not needed

Regards

Modifying the air intake or the exhaust will raise the red warranty flag in a hurry...air bags are fine

A member over at FTE has had some warranty issues because he installed an AFE intake and filter...Ford is being tough about modifications...at times borderline ridiculous but it is their money...and they are still stinging over the 6.0 debacle

Keep in mind that the 6.7 Ford diesel is a stout performer. It makes 400 hp and 800 lb ft of torque...it pulls like a freight train...additional power is not needed

Regards

Thanks. Air bags are all I really wanted anyway :). Briefly educate me on the 6.0 debacle of which I am not familiar.

Thanks.

lwmcguir

We don't need air bags with the F350 and the weight of the Augusta. A heavier pin weight trailer would require them as we sit perfectly level when hitched (loaded) and the overloads making contact. Tows like a dream and more power than we need even in the mountains. Getting the same milage as others with the 12-20 range. Handles almost as well as our F550 DRW with the 19.5 wheel/tire set up.

porthole

Retired
Air intake claims are exaggerated anyway.

After changing the intake twice on my GMC I finally learned that there is not a better breathing intake then what is supplied by GMC.
Claims of mileage increases with just an intake would lend one to believe that these are also exaggerated.

Computers control everything on new vehicles, including compensating for intake restriction (within reason)