Hitch pin height?

Westwind

Does anyone know the hitch pin height of a Bighorn 3070RL. What I mean is with the trailer level - the height from the ground to the bottom of the hitch pin?

I have my new fifthwheel hitch in the bed of the truck, but I would like to adjust the height of the head so that when I get to the dealership I won't have to be adjusting the head and taking time away from the PDI.

I think I made this understandable but if I didn't pop me a questions.

aatauses

This would depend on the levelness of the ground under the king pin. However I do have a BH3670, just measured from the bottom of the pin to the ground 53"---We are level in a park with gravel sites so take that into consideration in what you are doing.
As a precaution make sure when you hook up your unit is 6-8" above your side rails on your pick up
al

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Westwind, As you know Hitch height varys between trucks so not everyones will be correct. In most if not all cases, the dealer should adjust your hitch for you when you pick up your rig.
I know you asked for a dimension when the rig is level but that dimension can also vary depending on where the pin itself is bolted to the pin box. There are at least three height adjustments on the trailer and three or four on the trucks hitch. Again, I'm confident your dealer will do this. It only takes 20-30 minutes.
Less with air tools.

Westwind

Thats my plan, let the dealer do it, sometimes I need to stop running in circles, take a deep breath and think about something first. Then the light bulb lights. So let the dealer do it, he should be able to set it up correctly, why would he not want to.

Westwind

Dealer got me hitch up but needed to adjust nothing, trailer was nice and level, but when making a tight turn in a Cracker Barrel the plastic hitch shroud was hitting my bed cover rail. It appears I might have to somehow cut the lower edge of the hitch pin cover. Or maybe move the BD3 hitch up 1 1/2 higher and trim the cover.

Last edited:

Westwind

I think I'm going to raise my Trailer Saver BD3 hitch up to the next setting which is about 1 1/2 inches. The trailer looked very level with the current height but the plastic shroud hits the bed cover rail and if that wasn't their the bed rail. I still
think I'm also going to cut off some of the lower edge of the plastic shroud, it would be the same as the hitch pin, that way
nothing should be hitting the bed rail when I make a tight turn.
Don't think I would miss that shroud if it hadn't been there, it does make the pin area look good but that's it.

Last edited: