covers for fifth wheels good idea or bad idea

We just bought a 2012 Big Horn fifth wheel and we were wondering if we should get a cover for it. The manager at the dealership told us that a cover can do more damage than good. He said the rubbing of the material can cause damaage to the outside. Does anyone have any advide?

jimtoo

Hi kathleensturges,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There are a lot of folks that use the covers, I think mostly in the North country during the long winter. There has been lots of damage caused by the cover rubbing the roof or anyplace that it can get a little movement. Needless to say a cover material is just like a fine grade of sandpaper and when it rubs, it's gonna cause damage. I'm sure you will get some more opinions here soon.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Horn.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
kathleen, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. It's a tough call on covers. If it's a good fit and there isn't any chance of the wind causing it to flop around, a cover is nice to have. I don't know how much covers have improved over the years but I had a cover destroyed over the winter months in norther IL back in 1996. I thought I had it secured pretty good. It was the last cover I bought for an RV.

Vtxkid

First off, congrats on the new addition to the family!
As far as the cover, I place one over mine during the winter months with no issues... I will say that where my RV is in the back yard, I don't get much wind because of the trees around us and winters aren't real rough here in Virginia for the most part. In the process of buying the cover, I took a tip to tip physical measurment on the 5th wheel and then I ordered the cover closest to that measurment. My actual exterior lenght was 37 & 8" so I bought a 38' cover. I do prep my RV for the cover... wash it first, turn down the radio ant; wrap any and all gutters sticking out with pipe insulation as they will work their way thru the cover after one season otherwise... Ensure the cover is snug after installing it so it moves as little as possible. With all that done, I have had good luck with no problems so far.