Brake Controller

archbarb

It seems that my brake controller is beginning to malfunction. Friday night we were in the back yard with our grandson and I noticed the brake lights going on and off on my truck. They would come on for afew seconds and then turn off. I got inside the truck and the Haynes controller that I now have would click and 2.6 would show on the controller readout. Everytime it did that the brake lights would come on for afew seconds then back off. I tried adjustments and nothing seemed to help. Then it quit completly.

Later on that evening it began again. I unplugged the controller, and I've not seen it happen since!!!!!

I'm thinking if it was a short in the wiring on the truck somewhere, it would still be doing it, with the controller unplugged.

If I do a replacement, what do ya'll recommend. It seems the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 has a very high rating. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!

Archie

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Before buying a new controller I would make sure that you have a good ground and inspect/clean the poles on your plug to make sure you are getting good contact.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the Prodigy P3. Functions well. Many settings. No complaints. Trace

hoefler

If you have a plug relocation wire set that allows you to place a plug in the bed, I would check it first. I had one short out internally and gave an error code on my controller. Unplugged it and all was well. Ordered a new harness, and no I'm good to go.

tmcran

I have used about ever brake controller there is. If ya want to spend some extra and get a truly proportional controller that you will love get the Max Brake. As I use more than one kind of trailer --once you set it you don't have to re-adjust for each trailer. JMO.

noobee

If I do a replacement, what do ya'll recommend. It seems the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 has a very high rating. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!
Archie

We no longer will be hauling our unit, therefore I have a P3 for sale. PM me for more info.

CS