Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Convection Oven!

1. Print this Post   #1
    Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired

Convection Oven!

It's taking some getting used to...but I'm getting there. I kept forgetting to put the round metal rack in the microwave/convection oven so things weren't cooked quite right. I never had any true disasters...just things that needed a little extra help. I haven't done too much cooking in it yet (this fall & winter will be the true test) as I do a lot of grilling now.

Does anyone have any tips or convection oven recipes? I sure would appreciate anything!

Kelly (& Michael) Barnett

Fulltimers
    HOC #1817
    2011 Landmark Key Largo
    2016 Ford F450 6.7 liter Lariat Platinum

Performance Trailer Braking
    Disc Brake Conversion Kits
    "We'll Get You Down Safely"
    405-626-7009

Follow along on our blog as we live out our full-timing adventure

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Convection Oven!

No tips here, but it does take some getting used to. At home, I have a convection oven (the second one I've had) and have used them with no problem for 15 years. But it's not a combo microwave/convection like in the RV and I seem to have a little trouble with the pre-heat function. I seem to heat it, then it shuts off and I find I'm cooking something while the oven is getting cooler. I seem to have to always get out the manual. I guess when I use it enough, I'll have the system memorized.
    Laurie Chatterton
    (and Mike - member name: captchat)
    2 black cats - Jet & Piper (they love the RV)
    2011 BH 3670RL
    2001 Ford F-250 7.3L PSD
    - BD Exhaust Brake, BD TorqLoc, Firestone Airbags, Edge Evolution, Trans Cooler,
    Curt 20K Hitch, Progressive EMS, Prodigy3 Brake Controller, Int"l Bellowed Up-pipes, Mag-Hytec Differential Cover
    Region: Pacific, Chapter: CA - Southern, Acton, CA
    Full-timing (for now)

Rallies:
    Gillette Rally 2012

3. Print this Post   #3

When they retrofitted our BC with the micro/convection the dealer told us it did not come with a manual. So the only time I tried to use it, it was a guessing game as to the settings to use....

4. Print this Post   #4

Hi Sue - I did some research and also when we picked up our coach at Lazydays they have different classes you can attend...one being a convection oven class! What I did learn mostly was that you cook at the same temperature but add 25% more to your cooking time. So if you are suppose to cook for 15 minutes you would now cook for 19 minutes. This has worked pretty good for me so far.

Fulltimers
    HOC #1817
    2011 Landmark Key Largo

405-626-7009

5. Print this Post   #5

Re: Convection Oven ?'s and frozen french fries

Hello from onehappycamper the other one's at work I'm having a dickens of a time with my Frigidaire convection microwave oven, trying to figure it out, but I'm getting there I think. It roasted a beef roast beautifully the other day, and then when I tried to roast a chicken using the same method - Combo - I couldn't get any browning. The meat cooked fine, but it looked pretty unappetizing with the blond-coloured skin. Any hints? Oh, I cooked it at 325 degrees as I would in a regular oven. Maybe that was the problem?

I have a good tip for other lovers of french fries. May be old news to some, but to me it was a revelation after trying to use my convection microwave for frozen fries with blah results. (not my idea , read it somewhere) Take your frozen fries (I used McCain's super crispy). Place them directly and carefully and only one layer on the round metal rack that comes with your convection/microwave oven. Then select preheat to 425 degrees on bake/brown. Press start. By the time your oven beeps to indicate it's up to temperature (approx 15 minutes) the fries will be done! Crispy outside and soft inside. Perfect!

I tested it first with just 10 fries. Happy with the results, so for dinner that night for fish & fries, loaded it up with enough fries for myself and hubby, trying to keep space between each fry. Hubby really liked them so that will be my preferred method for cooking frozen french fries from now on, in half the time it takes in a regular oven!

6. Print this Post   #6

Gonna keep your french fry trick in the back of my mind! Thank you!

With your roasted chicken I remember in our Lazydays 'class' that they talked about the problem with browning in the convection oven. Since it cooks with hot air swirling about the food and air doesn't brown food. So they suggested using butter or oil of some kind on the chicken to help get the desired browning. You may just want to use the full convection instead of the comb method and see if that helps.

Fulltimers
    HOC #1817
    2011 Landmark Key Largo

405-626-7009

7. Print this Post   #7

When I got my first convection oven, by Kitchen Aid for the home, about 17 years ago, I took a convection oven class. They taught us that because the movement of hot air cooks foods more evenly and efficiently, and food will cook more quickly.

From my Kitchen Aid Convection cookbook: "Cooking times, especially for large roasts and poultry, are shortened by as much as 30 percent."

From several of the chicken recipes in the book, bake times say: "Convection Bake in a 325 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes (Or, standard bake in a 350 F oven for about 30 minutes.)"

So they lower the temperature and shorten the time.
    Laurie Chatterton
    (and Mike - member name: captchat)
    2 black cats - Jet & Piper (they love the RV)
    2011 BH 3670RL
    2001 Ford F-250 7.3L PSD
    - BD Exhaust Brake, BD TorqLoc, Firestone Airbags, Edge Evolution, Trans Cooler,
    Curt 20K Hitch, Progressive EMS, Prodigy3 Brake Controller, Int"l Bellowed Up-pipes, Mag-Hytec Differential Cover
    Region: Pacific, Chapter: CA - Southern, Acton, CA
    Full-timing (for now)

Rallies:
    Gillette Rally 2012

8. Print this Post   #8

You can obtain operational manuals for your Frigidaire Micro Convection ovens HERE. You will need to put you product model number in to get the right information.
    Debbie Bylinski
    Florida Chapter
    HOC # 1135
    Northeast Region Director Retired

9. Print this Post   #9
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Here's a tip for using the microwave. Get yourself a Pasta Boat from a kitchen store. You can cook pasta or steam veggies in it without boiling a pot of water.

OK, I'm out of here.....
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL (sold 2020 and not replaced)

H.O.C. #1225

10. Print this Post   #10

Can someone post a picture of the round metal rack that is supposed to come with the microwave/convection combo. All we have is the round glass plate for the microwave.
    Larry & Jodi
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL
    2011 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7 SRW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast