How big of a generator do I need?

Hi! I have a Elkridge 35 QSQB with 1 ac so I only need 30 amp service. What watt portable generator will be adequate for me when electricity isn't available?

Thanks!

Brian

branson4020

Icantre Member
If you want to run your AC, then a 3K generator, otherwise a 2k is sufficeint. Most folks recommend one of the inverter-style generators by Honda or Yamaha or a Chinese clone. They are lighter, quieter, and way more fuel-efficient than anything else out there.

hoefler

It is best to go a little bigger than you just need. I would suggest a 4K to have a little reserve and you are not running at max output. In the long run, it will take less fuel as well.

GOTTOYS

Many choose to go with a pair of of 2000 watt Yamaha or Honda gennies that can be operated together in a parallel mode. Some of the advantages are; Each unit weighs in the 50# range, easier to carry and move, You can run just one for better fuel economy if less power is needed, If one quits running (rare occasion) you will still have one for a backup. Purchasing two will make your wallet thinner. Be aware there are noise level standards in most campgrounds and those open frame contractor type gennies are just too noisy and won't be accepted...Don

pegmikef

Many choose to go with a pair of of 2000 watt Yamaha or Honda gennies that can be operated together in a parallel mode. Some of the advantages are; Each unit weighs in the 50# range, easier to carry and move, You can run just one for better fuel economy if less power is needed, If one quits running (rare occasion) you will still have one for a backup. Purchasing two will make your wallet thinner. Be aware there are noise level standards in most campgrounds and those open frame contractor type gennies are just too noisy and won't be accepted...Don

I second this. I have the Honda pair and just came back from boondocking. The pair run my 15 K btu a/c just fine and what I like is that since we were at higher altitudes in New Mexico and Colorado, I only needed the a/c a couple of hours a day, so most of the time we just ran one. I think I logged a little over sixty hours total run time and used around eight gallons of gas. No generators between 10 pm and 6 am in National Forests. As Gottoys said, they are light weight and easy to lift in and out of my truck. They have an economy mode and once the a/c is running you can switch them to that. When running a single one, I just leave it in the eco mode after it is started. I think I paid around 1800 for the pair last year. I just did a search for the Honda 2000 and found a lot of dealers that sell them on the web.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Brian... Like pegmikef, we also run the pair of 2000 hondas and it works great. Although I am a diehard Honda fan, you can get at Sams Club....
Champion 2000 inverter/generators that can be paralleled for about $475 each compared to $1,000 each for the Hondas. They also sell them at Cabellas, but Cabellas gets $699 each! If you choose to go with Hondas do some searching on Amazon for best package deals. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

R-Bryan

Greetings! I recently purchased a 2011 Bighorn 3670RL with two AC units. We plan to tailgait/camp at Sooner Village for the OU home games but without shore power. Knowing this, I purchased two of the Champion 2000W inverter generators from SAM's with the expectation of running at least the front AC, which I'm pretty sure is smaller than the rear, main AC unit. I was never able to get power from the paralell kit to the RV from the begining, but took the two gens along so my buddy, who is an EE could fiddle with them. Long story short, after several conversations with the manufacturer (very eager to help and friendly), I discovered a wirering glitch from the assembly process with the help of a wireing scamatic.

Now I'm getting power from both gens through the paralell kit's 30amp plug-in, HOWEVER, the two units will power everything except the front or the rear AC units - I can run the fans for either unit, but not the compressors. The last attempt I made to try and run the front AC unit was to shut off the 50 amp circuit breakers as was suggested by the Champion folks... I didn't see how that would work, but gave it a shot and nothing.

I've tried to make sure all lights, and appliances were off and ran the gens at max power before tripping the ac on.. the fan will come on for about 30 seconds prior to the compressor kicking on - it will trip on for a few seconds and then knock the gens off line and shut the AC unit down.
Any ideas or suggestions that would allow me to run the smaller AC unit off the two gens, or are they just not sufficient to run the smaller AC?
Thanks,
R Bryan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
R Bryan, welcome to the forum.
I am no expert on gennerators, but it sounds to me like your parallel kit is not functioning like it should. You should have no problem running either AC with 4,000 watts.
I have two Kipor 2K gennys paralleled and have no issues with running the AC.
I would get in contact with Champion once again.

Peace
Dave

PUG

Pug
My Cyclone had a Onan which could run about everything but they are expensive and require monthly running etc. I can say I only used it about four times and the cost of maintenance wasn't worth the cost. My new Unit SOB did not have a gen but I still wanted to be able to dry camp beyond the batteries capabilities but wasn't about to pay the $4500 for the Onan. Hondas and Yamahas aren't cheap either by any means.

For my needs I decided a less expensive gen that had a good track record would do. I ran into a Champion 3500/4000 watt at Camping World and researed it extensively. All good reports but a little noisier than the Hondas Onan Yamaha of course. I purchased one at Cabala's on sale with the wheel kit delivered for $319. Sound liike a cheapee but they are designed and built to USA specs although manufactured in China. People have reported very little problems and the specs give a pretty clean power supply.

I bought one, brought it home and put the wheels on. (100 lbs) Put gas in it and pulled the starter twice and away it went. Let it run for ten minutes, hooked it to the RV and turned on one AC. Slowed down slightly upon AC motor startup then leveled out. Added 1800 watt microwave grunted a little and leveled out. Added second AC and it grunted hard and sound told me that was too much.

I looked at all my wattage/amp loads and decided I could run any two appliances with no problem except both ACs. Some appliances have small drain so I add appliaces and keep an ear on the gen and when it works like a mad woman I back off te load.

The whole unit weighs 100 lbs. I can pick that up out of the front bay easily and with the wheels I can roll it out to the limit 55 ft of my RV plug ins. Little noisier yes but not bad. I am quite impressed with it as was my brother who is an electrician.

I now have an inexpensive generator that is easy to put Stabil in along with Ethanol additive that is good for six months. I don't feel guilty not using it. I can also pull it out and use anywhere I need juice. I am going to add an additional breaker and use it on my house in case the juice goes out. Be dang careful if you do this and learn how to shut your house off from the power company in case the juice were to come back on. Not only could you mess things up but potentially hurt a lineman badly.

R-Bryan

Thanks Dave! I just re-read some owner comments at Amazon regarding the Champion gens, to make sure I hadn’t misread the first time… There are several who say the two paralleled together will run their RV AC unit, plus a few other electronics. I’ll go back to the manufacturer and see what they say, perhaps the parallel kit is still the problem.

R Bryan

Hi all,
sorry for jumping in but we just bought a North Country 26SRL and I want to buy a generator. Do you all think that 3000 kw is plenty for a 26ftr?
thanks
Kev and Monica

GOTTOYS

Hi all,
sorry for jumping in but we just bought a North Country 26SRL and I want to buy a generator. Do you all think that 3000 kw is plenty for a 26ftr?
thanks
Kev and Monica
The size of your trailer won't matter. What do you want to run with it, how quiet does it need to be and how much do you want to spend? If you are not looking to run the A/C then a genny in the 2,000 watt range will be adequate. The Hondas and Yamahas are the Gold standard although there are many clones coming out recently. You may get what you pay for so check them out thoroughly. I recently sold my Honda 2,000 for $20.00 less than I paid for it and it was easy to sell. I just didn't use it enough to warrant keeping it around waiting to get stolen. I replaced it with a 3500 watt Champion. It will run my A/C but it uses twice as much fuel, maybe more, and in spite of what people say...It's WAY louder than the Honda. On the other hand it costs 1/3 of the Honda 2,000. I'm sure there are many campgrounds that wouldn't let me even use it there because of the noise. Bottom line how much do you want to spend??..Don

RSIG

Check out the Honda web site. You can plug in what you plan on running and it will tell you what appliances you can run. I would recommend (2) 2000 Honda generators if you plan on running a roof A/C or small heater.

Good Luck,
Ed

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you think you'll need something to run the A/C you'll need at least a 2800 watt genny. Preferably more. I bought one of THESE and couldn't be happier. I've rarely needed to use it but when I run it every few months, it starts easily and for the money, it's a great little genny. I keep stabilizer in the fuel.

jnbhobe

Hi all,
thanks
Kev and Monica

I use a Honda 3000 watt and couldn't be happier, it will run the AC and the tv and some lights thats about it, if I want the microwave I turn off the AC for a while.