3500 dodge short box and 33' fifth wheel

Teresa

Okay, we have had a lot of problems with our 2004 F350 and we are looking at purchasing a 2007 Dodge 3500. We are pulling a 2950RK Big Country.

My concern....the 2007 Dodge 3500 is a short box - 6 ft. Can we pull this RV without the sliding type hitch? Is it possible to pull this RV with this truck with a normal hitch and not risk damaging the truck? Do you HAVE to use the "sliding" type hitches with the shorter boxes?

I do not know what the "sliding" hitch is actually called, this is just what the husband is calling it.

Any suggestions, thoughts, opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

For that matter: Any opinions on the 2007 Dodge 3500?

Thank you in advance for all help.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a long bed '06, so I don't pay much attention.
However, I believe one of the selling points of the newer front cap design is that it can be pulled with a shortbed truck. (at least on the 2011)
I'm sure others will chime in here with their shortbox experiences. (BTW, good choice with the Cummins) Trace

GOTTOYS

Dodges have the shortest cab to axle distance of the 3 shortbox American trucks available. I have an Auto-Slide installed in mine. I really don't know if I really need it or not. Best bet would be to bring out a tape measure and do some head scratching. In reality how many times do you really turn sharp enough to hit the cab anyway. The 2007 Dodge came with either of 2 engines from Cummins. The early models came with the 5.9 and a 4spd auto, the later models came with the 6.7 and the 6 spd. auto. Either is a good choice and should give good service...Don

Rrloren

I have the short bed and have had no problems without the slider hitch. It's been 2 yrs. and I've made a lot of tight turns. Good luck with your new rigs.

Bobby A

I too have a 2007 Dodge 3500 mega cab short box, and that also was a concern for me when we started towing. I have had ZERO (0)
problems making tight turns, I have a standard 16K reese hitch in the truck, the only thing I would do different is go to an 18K hitch. That is another good thing about these Heartland products with the design of the front cap, 88 degree turning radius I think they call it. I love my Dodge and the 6.7 litre CTD and especially the standard exhaust brake, absolutly amazing !!
Good Luck,

scotty

Okay, we have had a lot of problems with our 2004 F350 and we are looking at purchasing a 2007 Dodge 3500. We are pulling a 2950RK Big Country.

My concern....the 2007 Dodge 3500 is a short box - 6 ft. Can we pull this RV without the sliding type hitch? Is it possible to pull this RV with this truck with a normal hitch and not risk damaging the truck? Do you HAVE to use the "sliding" type hitches with the shorter boxes?

I do not know what the "sliding" hitch is actually called, this is just what the husband is calling it.

Any suggestions, thoughts, opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

For that matter: Any opinions on the 2007 Dodge 3500?

Thank you in advance for all help.

I don't think with the Heartlands you need a slider. I don't have a slider and can almost jack knife the trailer. If I were to buying a new hitch I might consider a slider for that one in a million time that you might need it. Others will argue, but I'm not sure the cost of the slider justifies the outcome.

Teresa

:D Thank you EVERYONE!!!! for the awesome information. - on hitch and truck. The Dodge is an extended cab (I don't think the Mega cab - but it is 4 door) and it is the 6.7 with the exhaust break. Husband had originally wanted the Cummins but for some reason, at the last second decided the bigger box/cab Ford was his choice - I think he also was impressed with the transmission. But, unfortunately, on two of our "main" trips it has let us down (the motor) - in two years in a Big-Big way. It only has 66,000 miles on it (the ford).

All of you gave us the information that we needed to help him know if we needed to do the slider or not. I am looking forward to getting out and not having a worry. He is sorry he second guessed himself - and is excited to have the cummins. We know the "salesman" and he has let us have the truck (dodge) for the weekend to "decide". We I think we have decided. And with all the information you have given me, I can save $$$$$ and not buy the slider hitch.

I am not sure what size hitch ours is....I will let the husband know your opinions on that too. Again, thank you. May you all have a wonderful weekend....and I hope that you are reading this from your lap top, from your Heartland, out on the road. Me - I am spending the weekend washing chickens - getting them ready for show at the fair here in a week. :p

Moose

Well I may as well chime in. I have the short box Mega Cab with a Reese 18K slider. I got such a good deal on the new hitch and slider I couldn't refuse. ($450 for both installed) I have yet to use the slider. But, it is there when I need it.

As fro the truck. Make sure you have the latest flashes done to eliminate the "sooting" issues they had with the 2007.5 Cumins 6.7.

If you are past warranty you may want to consider "dropping some weight".

Here is a good source of help and information.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/