Pre-Rally Travel Plans (2012 Gillette)

navyAZ1

Got a question for those of you who know the roads in WY? We will be coming up I-25 from I-80 and our GPS says to take Hwy 59 north out of Douglas, WY this leads right into Gillette. My question; is this a good road or would I be better off staying on I-25 north to I-90 and come back east to Gillette? Looks like 59 would be the best way to go but I don't want to get onto some "not so good" state hwy and it add time to the trip. Let me know what y'all think?

Thanks,

Ron

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ron

I use to live in a little town northeast of Casper Wyo called Midwest. It was on hwy 87 from Casper to Buffalo. A road from Midwest through Edgerton went to Gillette. The road north from Casper is now I-25 that goes directly to Buffalo, but the road from Midwest is now 387 and goes to Wright. This road from Wright to Gillette is 59 and was a good Hwy and I would have no problem taking it now. Going north on 59 from Douglas through Thunder Basin should be no problem. I wouldn't hesitate to take it either. However you should know Hwy 59 is a long drive and the only town I know of on that route is Wright and it is not on 59. It also is not a very big town. This is over 100 miles and not much between Douglas and Gillette. Be sure you have plenty of fuel.

We are going to come into Wyo from Sidney Nebraska on Hwy 85 from I-25 and stay at BJ's RV Park in Lusk on the weekend of the 8th then leave for Gillette on the 11th. We are going to go north from Lusk on 18 to Newcastle, 16 to Morcroft, I-90 to Gillette. If your intrested you could come by Lusk and travel in with us.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

BC

We will be leaving Montgomery, TX on June 1st making our way almost due north to Pierre, SD and from there.travel into southwest SD where we will stay onto June 10th when we will head into Gillette. Any suggestionns for a campground south of Rapd City? Thanks

DougAndJudy

We will be leaving Montgomery, TX on June 1st making our way almost due north to Pierre, SD and from there.travel into southwest SD where we will stay onto June 10th when we will head into Gillette. Any suggestionns for a campground south of Rapd City? Thanks

Heartland Campground in Hermosa, SD is about 15 miles south of Rapid City. It's not fancy, but honors Passport America to provide good pricing. You might also look into Hart Ranch, if you have a discount plan like RPI. It's a little closer to Rapid City, and a much fancier campground. Both of these parks are located with easy and quick access to Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park.

navyAZ1

There's also a very nice campground right in Custer, SD by the name of Broken Arrow Ranch, great folks running it and they honor all the major discounts. With our Escapees card we stayed there in 2008 for $16 per night all FHU, and a beautiful view of the Black Hills.

navyAZ1

Ron

I use to live in a little town northeast of Casper Wyo called Midwest. It was on hwy 87 from Casper to Buffalo. A road from Midwest through Edgerton went to Gillette. The road north from Casper is now I-25 that goes directly to Buffalo, but the road from Midwest is now 387 and goes to Wright. This road from Wright to Gillette is 59 and was a good Hwy and I would have no problem taking it now. Going north on 59 from Douglas through Thunder Basin should be no problem. I wouldn't hesitate to take it either. However you should know Hwy 59 is a long drive and the only town I know of on that route is Wright and it is not on 59. It also is not a very big town. This is over 100 miles and not much between Douglas and Gillette. Be sure you have plenty of fuel.

We are going to come into Wyo from Sidney Nebraska on Hwy 85 from I-25 and stay at BJ's RV Park in Lusk on the weekend of the 8th then leave for Gillette on the 11th. We are going to go north from Lusk on 18 to Newcastle, 16 to Morcroft, I-90 to Gillette. If your intrested you could come by Lusk and travel in with us.

View attachment 19392 View attachment 19393

BC

That's exactly the time we would be in that area we plan to arrive at the rally on the 12th and wanted to stay somewhere on the 11th were it would not be a long drive on the 12th. Maybe we'll see you there in Lusk? Although the name "Thunder Basin" sounds like it might be something interesting to see on Hwy 59? If you see a Bighorn with "The Parrish's" lettered on the back at the CG in Lusk you'll know it's us.

See Ya,

Ron

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We'll be staying at the Custers Gulch campground from June 1-7th when we leave for Gillette. This park is in the exact nlocation where General Custer and his men camped on his expedition to the Black Hills.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We'll be staying at the Custers Gulch campground from June 1-7th when we leave for Gillette. This park is in the exact nlocation where General Custer and his men camped on his expedition to the Black Hills.

Hay Jay.. Custers Gulch is a nice campground. I hope you enjoy it, we did. It is close to the Crazy Horse monument. Go there later in the evening and park up front in the parking lot and stay to watch the Lazer Light show.
DSC_2320M.jpg DSC_2331M.jpg
The first image is where I would stay if I were there again. It is to the left of the office and along the pond.
The second is our site which was nice and we had plenty of room. It is on the side of a slight hill.

Travel Tiger..
We have heard a lot of Rafter J Bar and I think we drove through the park. Let me know how you like it.

Have fun and drive through the area. One is close but you can make it, we did. Lots of Bison. Saw a Motorcycle stopped in the middle of a herd moving across the hwy.

BC

back2nature

Ron

BC

Bob,

That's what we mapped out. Going from Rawlins-Casper-Midwest-Wright-Gillette on the 387. We wondered about that road and did notice there wasn't much out there. It sure seems shorter than taking the Rawlins-Casper-Buffalo-Gillette route. Hope we'll be okay. (This would be on June 12 - 246 miles)

MC9

If you are just spending the night the parking lot at Wall Drugs is fine and the fresh donuts in the morning are heavenly.