Landing Gear Failed on one side ( motor side )

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Folks,

My Landing gear will not go down anymore ( on the driver's side where the motor is ) - the Door side goes down find but in looking at the driver's side the motor looks like it is moving a lot ( like some bolt has come loose ) has this happen to any one here and what did you ( or the shop do ) to repair it? I do not have a HL dealer anywhere near me that I know of so I may have to take it to either a SOB dealer or there is a good RV repair shop in the next town... I get home from by current Business travel tomorrow - so I would like to either fix this my self ( if someone can give be some guidance ) or get it to the SOB or shop early next week after Irene leaves the New England Area.

Thanks

Kevin

wyleyrabbit

Hi,

I've had that. The gearbox broke. I ordered a new one for ~$50 + shipping and installed it myself. Pretty easy job.

Chris

Gary521

It's common for the motor to move around, this is normal. If the motor side does not go down and the other side does, then I agree. It's the gear box or the gear on top of the motor side landing gear leg. If its a Venture landing gear, call them for parts. There is a rebuild kit for the inner leg gears. Not a difficult job but you have to remove the leg. A frequent cause of failure is the jack screw inside the leg not having sufficient lube. Make sure you grease both sides. You have to take the leg apart to do this. There is a way to grease the leg from the outside but this take somes drilling in the right places.
To check the gear box, remove the motor and the gear box. The gear box case can be opened up.

wyleyrabbit

On our Bighorn, the gearbox change-out did not require removal or disassembly of the leg(s). It was just a few screws (if memory serves, they needed allen keys), pop the old one off, then put the new one on. Took all of 30 mins.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing not mentioned is that if the door side is working and the off door side is not, you may be missing a bolt. There is a bolt that holds a shaft that connects the landing legs. If the nut came off the bolt and the bolt fell out you would only have one leg working. There are two bolts, one on each side of the shaft. It's worth taking a look at.
Peace
Dave

archbarb

One thing not mentioned is that if the door side is working and the off door side is not, you may be missing a bolt. There is a bolt that holds a shaft that connects the landing legs. If the nut came off the bolt and the bolt fell out you would only have one leg working. There are two bolts, one on each side of the shaft. It's worth taking a look at.
Peace
Dave

I had that happen to me once. It was a simple fix once I found out what was wrong. I put a new bolt & nut on and used lock tight. Another thing to add to the inspection list!!!!!

Archie

recumbent615

Thank you all for your input - I will be dropping off the rig to be repaired next week - how would I find out about any warranty that I may have on the landing gear. I know that the heartland warranty does not transfer - but do the others transfer? such as the frame, landing gear, AC, and appliances?

Thanks

alaroque

I am guessing you sheared off the drive pin, part number 920-00, common problem, PITA though. Did you raise the legs up all the way and cause the motor to blow the fuse?

recumbent615

Issue resolved - It turned out to be the Gears in the Off Door Landing gear, two of them were totally stripped. Since the job required either a very small child or to remove the Generator. I decided to have the repair done by a local RV repair shop ( tried to make an appointment at two of the local Heartland dealers and both told me that they were booking appointments for November) called RVs R US http://www.rvsrusma.com/ I have used them for repairs on my SOB in the past and found them to be very up front about cost and have done good work.

Kevin

wdk450

Gang:
I just read Laurent's post on a retainer strap fro the U shaped threaded rod guide that sits under the rod gear.
This guide is free to move side-to-side in the leg which results in the gear moving side to side when meshing with its drive gear, and messing up the gears. Here is a link to the thread with Laurent's postings with pictures in 2 posts:
//heartlandowners.org/showt...ing-gear-motor
I am going to try to impliment this a little easier using a metal plate on each side of the leg covering the U support and 2 stainless steel hose clamps surrounding the leg holding the plates/U support in place.