Control Panel

Rockitman

I have a 3800 Cyclone and have a question. What is the household switch that turns red when you flip it for? I assume it has something to do with turning the electrical system on and psossibly the water pump and water heater.. I have seperate switches on the control panel for the water pump, water heater etc.

What does the switch do and when & why do I want to turn it on?

jimtoo

Hi Rockitman,

The switch that lights up red is for the electric part of the water heater. You should never turn it on until your sure your heater is full of water. It only takes a few seconds to burn out the element. The switch on the level sensor panel is for the propane side of the water heater.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To run the water heater on electric, you also need to be sure the black switch on the face of the water heater is in the ON position. Once it's turned on, there is no need to turn it off. The red switch will control it. You can run the water heater simultaneously on electric and propane to heat it faster if there is a big demand for hot water, like showers, etc.

khatfield

speaking of switches........... what are the DS flood and the ODS flood switches for? We assumed they were some kind of flood lighting, but nothing seems to happen when flipping those switches.....

jimtoo

speaking of switches........... what are the DS flood and the ODS flood switches for? We assumed they were some kind of flood lighting, but nothing seems to happen when flipping those switches.....

HI khatfield,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The DS and ODS switches are for the "Door Side" and "Off Door Side" lights that are mounted up kinda high on the outside of your unit. You should have a couple of lights about 8" in dia.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many people call these light "scare lights" as they might scare off a prowler (2 legged or 4 legged) at night when you turn it on. They are also great if you are camped in a very dark spot.

Lynn1130

Here is a little tip: There are two light switches in the garage of the 3010. One controls the inside garage lights. The other controls the outside flood lights over the ramp door. If you have little children, or grandchildren that like to flip switches, pull the fuse to the outside lights. If they are left on when running on battery alone, they drain the batteries in short order and you cannot see when they are on during the day. Yes it does happen, and I caught it before the batteries went completely flat.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
My cyclone friends,

If I had heaters for the Fresh/gray/black tanks where would the switch be? I was told when I purchased my unit that that option was installed - and I thought they pointed to what everyone is saying is the water heater - and If that is the water heater ( electric ) I'm going to have to replace it because it was turned on during my PDI and the water tank was dry as a bone. How will I tell if they fried it and how does one find the element to replace? Also when I look at the water heater - there is no switch that is spoken about in this thread - I assume that it should be accessible from the outside of the rig.

here is a photo of my control panel

IMG_0775.jpg

Another question - the light above the water pump switch is always on - regardless of the switch position. What is up with that?

Thanks

Feb 1 and 55 degrees - I have a bad case of spring fever!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
WOW Kevin - that control panel is totally foreign to me! Nothing at all like mine. Hopefully one of your fellow cyclone owners will chime in soon.

TwoGypsies

Your control panel looks a lot like mine. I can't help you with the tank heaters, but with the water heater there is a small black switch that is not accessible from outside the rig. You have to remove the heater cover and then you should see a small black rocker switch. This is the one that you can turn on and leave on. While you are in there, you should be able to remove and inspect your heating element. You might test it on a full tank of water in case it survived.
Coming back inside, I have two switches to provide a heat source to the hot water tank. The backlit rocker switch on the control panel actually is to enable the propane. I have a backlit "wall" switch beside my sink that look a lot like the switch under your control panel. That's the one on mine that turns on the electric heater.

Hope this helps!!

Lynn1130

I have the same control panel and system. If the heating element is the same and like most electric heating elements you can test continuity of the element to determine if it is still working. It is best to pull it to do that but I think it probably can be done still installed, with no water in the tank. (unhook the electric wires to it before doing that)

The propane heater switch should not stay on in the off position. That switch controls the electronic light/propane flow to the water heater.

recumbent615

OK - I have Pulled the cover on the WH and I do not see any switch nor do I see any wires other than the wires going to the electronic ignition for the propane. There are no switches under the WH cover. I think I will call Heartland today and ask them for some info on what was actually shipped with my unit.

I will update if I determine what everything is.

Kevin

TwoGypsies

Hi Kevin,

By all means contact Heartland for more information. However, I re-read my post and hope I haven't misled you with the phrase "with the water heater there is a small black switch that is not accessible from outside the rig". This was in response to your comment that you couldn't see a water heater switch anywhere outside the rig. In fact, to get to the small black switch you need to remove the water heater cover on the outside of your rig, not inside under the sink. You probably did this, but I got concerned when you couldn't see the switch since mine is in plain view behind that external cover. Good Luck with the search!

recumbent615

I did pull the cover and I do not see the switch - I also looked at the original paper work on the production order for the unit and it does not mention dual fuel for the heater ( just a 12 gal water heater ). But it also does not mention anything about heated tanks so I think this will require a call to heartland. OR if they can not answer the question some wire tracing later this spring....

But does no one have that large lighted switch on their control panel? it seems so out of place.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is what the switch on the face of the water heater looks like. It may be hidden behind the gas line, similar to mine. Although possible, it is highly unlikely that HL has started using a different water heater. Look at your water heater tags or manual and find out which model you have.

These photos are of a Suburban SW12DE unit.

View attachment 17684View attachment 17685

Boca_Shuffles

When you find this switch on the water heater, it may have a small wire clip attached to it. This pin is to keep you from accidentally turning the switch on. When you have water in the tank, remove the pin and turn the switch on. I store the pin around the gas line in front of it.

Re-install the pin if and when you drain the tank. Just an extra reminder to not turn on the electric without water in the tank.

recumbent615

Thank you all - I guess I am blind - I did not see that switch behind the Gas line - and the heating element is right next to it!!! I feel quite challenged ( A kind way of saying dumb ) regarding this subject I will now test the element to see if I need to order a new one... $35 for anyone interested to know what the cost of replacement element is...

Thank you John for the pictorial to help get me to look under and behind.

Kevin

Tannerus2

Hi! We purchased a new to us 2021 cyclone 4270 in April of '23 and I have figured out most of it so far BUT I am still perplexed by this switch in the control panel. I have looked everywhere and cannot figure out what it is! After months of searching I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any idea what it is. Any insight is appreciated! (the front door switches are actually to the left of the circled switch).

Attachments

• switch question.jpg
    switch question.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7