Additional Battery?

brlr2000

Has anyone installed a 2nd battery in a 2009 3300RL? It looks like it would have to be installedin the front 'generator' compartment, adjacent to the existing Battery. Any other ideas on location?

jimtoo

Hi brlr2000,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Your right, it would need to be in the front compartment. Several folks have installed two 6v golf cart batteries that do boondocking also. If you do a search I think you can find some pictures with post and mods that others have made. I'm sure some of the other family members will jump in and help with info also.

I also moved the thread to the 12v area of the forum.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

caissiel

I used a small Roughneck Container to install 2 Batteries, they fit just snugg and I also use the same size for storage so they keep the storage organized.

Its the green one on the left

Attachments

• Heartland 004.jpg
    Heartland 004.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 119
The dealer installed a second battery for us in our 3650. They installed it in the "gen compartment'. They put it in a vented battery box like the factory one and installed the outside vent cover right next to the factory one. The battery sits on the curbside of the compartment, or the left side as you are looking at it.

It was a nice gesture on their part as I did not ask for them to add a battery. Another reason why I am very happy with them.

I do plan on installing my 4 AGM batteries and charger in the near future.

brlr2000

Sounds like some good information. I think I'll replace the existing battery with a 6 volt and add an additional barry in the gen compartment.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
You might not have to put the battery in the front compartment if you use a 6 volt AGM battery. Two fit sideways in my battery compartment. They're sealed, so no vented box needed. Just reinforced the floor a bit and they've been fine. We've been very pleased with the performance so far and no more checking the water.

M-S

Is it possible to add an additional battery, and then use the same vent hose that came on the battery cover, by putting a tee in it with a small piece of hose? Also, what type of hose would you use? Need to add one for camping at a nascar event, and the additional battery will help cut the stand-alone generator use down to only when it is needed. Lighting on the battery system would be the drain on the batteries. Also, can a battery box that is used for a marine battery, be used if I can adapt the hose and its fitting to the top of the battery box?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Is it possible to add an additional battery, and then use the same vent hose that came on the battery cover, by putting a tee in it with a small piece of hose? Also, what type of hose would you use? Need to add one for camping at a nascar event, and the additional battery will help cut the stand-alone generator use down to only when it is needed. Lighting on the battery system would be the drain on the batteries. Also, can a battery box that is used for a marine battery, be used if I can adapt the hose and its fitting to the top of the battery box?
The hose and tee can be bought Lowe's or Home depot. I use a 1 1/4" drain tee kit, the hose is bought by the foot.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 56

lwmcguir

I use two 12 volt non vented sealed batteries. Always have and they work/serve us with excellent results. Use the same in some of the tractors/skid steers and so on. A little more money that 6 volts but no maintenance and just as many amps. There are several good manufactures out there. I don't like hydrogen gas wafting around very close to where I sleep. As the other poster noted you can get the 6 volt sealed as well.