Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tip For Saving Your Marriage

1. Print this Post   #1
    Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired

Tip For Saving Your Marriage

I think that many of us are the same in that when we arrive at or depart an RV park the husband drives the truck and backs it into place while the wife navigates from outside the vehicle...usually back by the rig. Unfortunately, it's not always a pretty scene. Probably lots of yelling back and forth, hand signals/gestures (and not necessarily nice ones!), tempers flare ...inability to hear each other causes even more tension. (Please don't tell me that we are the ONLY ones this happens to!?!

I have the solution!! RV Headsets! We saw these at the Tampa RV Show last January and had to have them! We finally used them and they are as awesome as I remember! We didn't raise our voices once...the neighbors didn't all come out to see what was going on and we weren't ready to choke each other by the time we got hooked up to head back to Montgomery today! JOY!

http://www.rvheadsets.com/ They might be a bit pricey for some...but they are SO very worth it! What's even better...is they work wonderfully with hearing aids!! Try 'em...you'll LOVE 'em!!

Kelly (& Michael) Barnett

Fulltimers
    HOC #1817
    2011 Landmark Key Largo
    2016 Ford F450 6.7 liter Lariat Platinum

Performance Trailer Braking
    Disc Brake Conversion Kits
    "We'll Get You Down Safely"
    405-626-7009

Follow along on our blog as we live out our full-timing adventure

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Tip For Saving Your Marriage

We have come up with an even better solution. When we arrive at a new CG, I drop off the wife and our young children at the campground or other area AWAY from our campsite. Then, I go park, detach, level, etc the unit and by the time she gets back 15 minutes later, I'm relaxing with a cold beverage in my hand!

It takes me a couple extra minutes to get backed in with no guidance (some in-and-out of the truck to check things) but it's FAR better than the alternative...
    Jeff, Laurie + 2
    2012 Chevy Silverado DRW Classy Conversion
    Air Horns!
    Hensley TS3 Air Hitch
    2011 Big Horn 3670RL
    Member #1695

3. Print this Post   #3

I used to do what ihsolutions does. But, with blue tooth in the truck & the wife with her earpiece from her iphone, we communicate great. No more argueing on who starightened out the rig with the correct hand signals. Then comes the cold beverage in my left hand, with the remote to my 32" LED tv, in the storage area, in my right hand. WOW technology is amazing. By the way I have gotten in trouble for the not-so-nice hand gestures, call it frustration. Thats my excuse.

Just want make an addition to this post. Now I have my 5 year old daughter repeat what mom says via the truck speaker, therefore now I have surround sound. Now I can't say "what ?". LOL
    Last edited by Sandpirate69; 09-15-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Roiz Family

Ivan, Margarita, Gabriela, Isabella, & Rocky (doggie heaven 05/24/14)
    2002 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0L/ 45 gallon Transfer Flo/ Bully Dog GT Tuner (Retired)
    2008 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ 6.6 Duramax/Allison DRW , Reese 18K Elite Hitch, Line-X , Mike L Tranny Cooler
    4" MagnaFlo SS Exhaust, 3" MagnaFlo DP, Edge CTS Monitor, Nicktane Fuel Filter w/CAT Filter, EGR Blocked, PCV Rerouted, EFI Live DSP5, TransGo jr, Airdog 165
    2011 Road Warrior 305W/ Trail Air TriGlide / TST 507 Tire Monitor
    1993 FLSTF (FatBoy) Custom
    2004 Polaris ATP 500 Camo
    OIF/OEF US Navy Veteran

4. Print this Post   #4

Another vote for the bluetooth in the truck and phone solution. We used it, and it worked great!
    Jessica

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
    2011 Landmark Rushmore

Fulltiming it as of 12/12/12!

www.rikerrvdays.blogspot.com

5. Print this Post   #5

. . . and then what will I do for my arrival entertainment?
    Peg and Mike Finnegan, Faithful Traveling Companion Cameo (RIP), adopted furry friend Molly, San Angelo, TX
    US Army Retired, Vietnam Vet, 2017 F350 King Ranch,
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh.
    Rallies:
    2011: Spring, Canton, TX; 2012: Spring, TX; Thackerville, OK (X2)
    2013; Santo, Montgomery, Canton, Beaumont, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2014; Carthage, Mo; Amana, IA; Santo, Bullard, Montgomery, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2015; Goshen, IN; Kinder, New Iberia, LA; Boerne, Kerrville, Sweetheart, Santo, TX; Durant (X2), OK; Carthage, MO
    2016; Sweetheart, Quanah, Weatherford, Canton, Ingram, TX; Henderson, LA; Durant, OK; Mountain View, AR; Branson, Plattes Ville, MO: Las Vegas, NV
    2017; Sweetheart, Alpine, Montgomery, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Goshen, IN; Kinder, LA; Vinita, Oklahoma City, OK.

2018; Abilene, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Kinder, LA; Eufala, Oklahoma City, OK.

6. Print this Post   #6
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

Another solution: Pull-through sites only! LOL! (We've decided this is best for us, until we get the hang-of-it, backing.)

E
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

7. Print this Post   #7
    Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TravelTiger View Post
    Another solution: Pull-through sites only! LOL! (We've decided this is best for us, until we get the hang-of-it, backing.)

E
    But...if you unhitch you still have to back the truck up to hitch back up again!!

Kelly (& Michael) Barnett

Fulltimers
    HOC #1817
    2011 Landmark Key Largo
    2016 Ford F450 6.7 liter Lariat Platinum

Performance Trailer Braking
    Disc Brake Conversion Kits
    "We'll Get You Down Safely"
    405-626-7009

Follow along on our blog as we live out our full-timing adventure

8. Print this Post   #8

And we find the hooking up easy. I, taking life in my hands, stand square behind hitch and truck and eyeball. If DH is off a hair I signal with hand which way. When he is square on I move to left and do minute adjustment of trailer up or down, when all is good I give him a fast wave of hand to come less than slow, a tiny wave for easy, hand up to stop if I need to adjust RV. This works so well for us. Guess you have to see it, but it has saved a lot of fuss when hooking up anyway. Nan

Paul and Nan---
    Fur children Rocky, Jake, and JayJay
    09 Bighorn 3670 with 6point level up and Mor-Ryde IS
    2011 CHEVY 3500 HD Classy Chassie Duramax

Heartland Club #1052 Escapees #102768 Lifetime Passport America, Charter Lifetime Good Sam

9. Print this Post   #9
    Past Missouri Chapter Leaders Joy & Jeff's Avatar

Tip For Saving Your Marriage

We are both old soldiers so we have the hand signals (good and not so good) down pat but have recently started using our cell phones too. No Bluetooth in the truck but the speaker phone works well in giving directions and sometimes colorful comments and suggestions.
    Jeff and Joy Venus
    2013 Ford F350
    2012 Bighorn 3685RL
    Branson, MO - 2009
    Cape Girardeau, MO - 2010
    Goshen, IN - 2011
    Branson, MO - 2011
    Lake Delton, WI - 2012
    Hannibal, MO - 2012
    Goshen, IN - 2013
    Branson, MO - 2013
    Carthage, MO - 2014

10. Print this Post   #10
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

We've gotten really good at the hitch/unhitch. We each have our jobs and do really well at doing them efficiently.

The backing, well, we're better, but not always. We recently used our phones with the earplug/speaker function, to help us talk through trying to back our rig into the driveway. It takes at least 3-7 tries, or until we give up. It's a bit of a challenge, because we are on a cul-de-sac. You'd think that makes it easier, but the driveway isn't at a right angle to the road. There's lots of room to get it wrong from the beginning, and only one true path to get it in right... we're trying not to go over the curb, through the grass, hit the brick mailbox or the big metal transformer box, and try not to go up into the neighbor's yard trying to swing the truck around...did I mention that yard belongs to DH's boss? ;-P HOA says we're not supposed to have a trailer at our property more than for loading/unloading, so that's why we haven't perfected it yet. (Mostly we stay on the street to load/unload).

Fun times.

E
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast