Wrinkled Bulkhead Part II

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I have two options for fixing the storage door frame break...found an aluminum welder and also found someone to make up some very sturdy L brackets (1 inch tubing) that I can use instead.

The curve ball...I have had several people tell me that the wrinkles are the early signs of a cracked frame. Not sure how to check that without tearing everything apart. Nothing seems to appear amiss other than the bulkhead wrinkles near the broken weld. I would hate to tear apart a rig that has only been used for a couple of weeks at best and even then kept quite light for traveling.

I did, however, just finish looking for some flex with the pin box. Seems there is about 1/2 inch (maybe a little less) difference between hitched and unhitched. Has anyone else measured the flex in their pin box? Certainly there must be some normal flex with that much weight involved but at what amount does it become an issue?

Last edited:

rebootsemi

Now this is getting deep, have you had this BC by a dealer? The frame and all would still be under warranty, I would be in contact with HL and Lippert to see what they have to say before I would run off the deep end.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I thought he was past the 1 year warranty? I think it becomes up to Lippert to determine what they will do to help you. Can you show pics of the flex you speak of? We have something like this (TXBobcat's post number 13).

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have two options for fixing the storage door frame break...found an aluminum welder and also found someone to make up some very sturdy L brackets (1 inch tubing) that I can use instead.

The curve ball...I have had several people tell me that the wrinkles are the early signs of a cracked frame. Not sure how to check that without tearing everything apart. Nothing seems to appear amiss other than the bulkhead wrinkles near the broken weld. I would hate to tear apart a rig that has only been used for a couple of weeks at best and even then kept quite light for traveling.

I did, however, just finish looking for some flex with the pin box. Seems there is about 1/2 inch (maybe a little less) difference between hitched and unhitched. Has anyone else measured the flex in their pin box? Certainly there must be some normal flex with that much weight involved but at what amount does it become an issue?

I'm not sure how you checked the flex but 1/2" seems normal to good in my view. I have 5/8" of flex measured by raising the pin up till the landing gear became loose.

SJH

I thought he was past the 1 year warranty? I think it becomes up to Lippert to determine what they will do to help you. Can you show pics of the flex you speak of? We have something like this (TXBobcat's post number 13).

I am past the one year but I thought Lippert frames were covered for two...I could be mistaking. I have no real issue to date except the lower bulkhead wall has a few wrinkles. I found a door frame member with a broken weld. I was hoping this is what caused the wrinkles. No caulking is coming loose...no moldings separating etc.

After posting the first thread, I had several PM's from others saying the wrinkles were the first symptom of their frame failures. I got scared...did some more poking around and saw nothing. Looked at the frame in front of the propane bottles and saw nothing suspicious. I did decide to check the pin box flex today. I know nothing about how to do this so I simply taped a piece of a meter stick under the front cap and measured from the bottom of the pin box up to the stick...there was approximately a 1/2 or less difference from unhitched to hitched. No way to really get a picture.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, I doubt if your frame caused the wrinkles you have. A broken frame will flex ALOT more than a 1/2". Besides a broken frame will make the sides of your coach flex and crack. Remember, the frame has to flex some or it would break for sure. Ever been on an airplane and watched the wing flex up and down?? If they didn't, then the wings would break and fall off and YOU would be up to your eye's in deep doo-doo. The frame on your truck twists and flexes all the time while driving. I would not worry...fix the problem at hand and go camping.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, remember this thread I started. You might re-read it just for grins and giggles.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph.......frame-sag-at-the-front-overhang?highlight=

SJH

Steve, remember this thread I started. You might re-read it just for grins and giggles.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph.......frame-sag-at-the-front-overhang?highlight=

Ah yes...I do remember that! Some interesting all to familiar comments! Thanks!

SJH

Lippert frame and other components have a 2 year warranty.

FYI Not sure what this means but I just got an email from Lippert telling me the warranty on my Big Country frame was for only 12 months from date of purchase!

Also just got an email from Heartland Customer Service...Lippert frame warranties are 12 months!

Last edited:

danemayer

I had a conversation with Lippert a couple of days ago re: bike racks and was told that my Landmark frame has a 12 month warranty.