Lousy roof! 2 years old...seriously????

jetjarv

Installed a couple of vent covers to find out I have a soft spot in my roof! Dealer comes to look at it doesn't see where water would come in. They suspect that the roofing plywood has shifted somehow so that portion isn't supported properly. Here's the kicker. It's a 2009! I bought it in November of 09. I suspect that it was never correctly installed when it came from the factory. Now we discover it after the warranty has expired. Are these trailers seriously only warrantied for 1 year?????? I bought the aluminum trailer because they advertise that they are stronger and hold up better!

Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Heartland should pay for this. It is obvious that nothing has damaged it from me. This should not happen. Even 20 year old trailer's roofs this would be an abnormally. No water damage...no roof damage.....this trailer missed quality control.....they even had to re-rig the slide after a few months. 3rd microwave. And I don't think it follows the truck perfectly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK, have you Called HL service and talked to them about it yet. If you have not...take some pix and call them. Here's the issue, I get it that your upset, but going off on a person at HL may not get you very far. Call and calmly explain what has happened and NICELY ask for help and you just might possibly get some help. Make sure that you have your VIN# handy. It's good to vent...but this forum does not belong to HL. Any help you receive will be thru HL.

Now let me understand some things....you have a problem with the roof. You also have/had a problem with microwaves, that HL does not make BTW. You also think that the trailer does not track correctly. So....have you had your dealer look at these things while still in warrenty, besides the microwave??

BTW, what brand of HL coach do you have?? Post some pix so we can all see what you are refering to. Good luck

jetjarv

Dealer was great with the microwave oven and they fixed my slide. All during warranty.

I have the north trail 31qbs.

Haven't mentioned to the dealer about the tracking issue. I just noticed it with the new truck because the mirrors slide out so far. Tried my best to parallel a straight solid line. If it is indeed not tracking true I guesstimate it is 6 to 8" on a 33' trailer. I don't know if that is a big deal or not. I'm guessing not. I didn't like the bias that came with it and the guy at the tire shop didn't notice any odd wear. I don't go far though anyways.

Thanks for the advise.

jimtoo

OK, have you Called HL service and talked to them about it yet. If you have not...take some pix and call them. Here's the issue, I get it that your upset, but going off on a person at HL may not get you very far. Call and calmly explain what has happened and NICELY ask for help and you just might possibly get some help. Make sure that you have your VIN# handy. It's good to vent...but this forum does not belong to HL. Any help you receive will be thru HL.

Now let me understand some things....you have a problem with the roof. You also have/had a problem with microwaves, that HL does not make BTW. You also think that the trailer does not track correctly. So....have you had your dealer look at these things while still in warrenty, besides the microwave??

BTW, what brand of HL coach do you have?? Post some pix so we can all see what you are refering to. Good luck

Bob gave you some excellent advice about calling Heartland and being nice and explaining your problem. Being an ex-service manager I can vouch for being nice. Please post some pictures if you can. Also did you remove the frame for the vent covers and find this or what?

Don't know what the slide problem or microwave problem has to do with this problem though. You said they were fixed under warranty.

Jim M

jetjarv

Just an observation from a window of my house. And installing camco vent cover.

As far as the micro and slide issues; I don't think I should have had to spend my time driving to my dealer. The trailer should have never left the factory in that condition. Luckily I have a very helpful dealer. I think they are going way above and beyond to help me out. I have not talked to heartland yet, unfortunately it is out of warranty.....I think I know the outcome but I will give it a shot. Thanks

Netem

I have saw Heartland step up to the plate for alot of people out of warranty but going to them with an attitude won't help. As far as leaving the factory with the other problems you had they don't make the micro's and the slides along with the rest of the trailer take a beating on the highways we run on. Remember you can catch more bee's with honey.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
As for the tracking issue...trying to determine that with mirrors does not work. The only way to tell if you're tracking correctly, is to have someone follow as you tow...then they can see if it's doglegging, or not....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Another way to check on the tracking is to drive the trailer through wet pavement on to dry and look at the tracks. If you can see 4 separate tracks while driving straight you are not tracking right.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another way to check on the tracking is to drive the trailer through wet pavement on to dry and look at the tracks. If you can see 4 separate tracks while driving straight you are not tracking right.

Unless you are using a DRW TV.

DMitch

This business about Heartland not making the microwave or slides is baloney. Think about it, if you took your new ford back to the dealer because a wheel was warped and they told you to go see the company that made the wheel you wouldn't be very happy. Heartland makes a complete product and they should stand behind that product. If people are having problems with a unit a vendor supplied, Heartland must buy enough of these units to have some clout with the vendors. Just my opinion.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This business about Heartland not making the microwave or slides is baloney. Think about it, if you took your new ford back to the dealer because a wheel was warped and they told you to go see the company that made the wheel you wouldn't be very happy. Heartland makes a complete product and they should stand behind that product. If people are having problems with a unit a vendor supplied, Heartland must buy enough of these units to have some clout with the vendors. Just my opinion.

But if you buy a new house and the A/C or the Microwave does not work you don't necessarily call the carpenter. You would call the one that put those items in. I think that HL does help if you are having problems with a certain supplier. Anyhow I did not mean to hijack the OP thread.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

While I don't disagree, it is what it is. What experience has anyone had with other manufacturers of RV's covering everything from stem to stern? We hear so many claims about how "my previous (fill in brand) was so much better," what are the facts?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that the OP stated the microwave and slide issue was taken care of under warranty.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The OP did state that is was fixed under warrenty. So whats the beef?? But I bet the Micro was billed to the manufacturer not HL. The slide repair was probably billed to Lippert by HL.

If I read the Op's later post....he saw a soft spot or was on the roof and felt it.

Yep,the next time something in my house fail's I will call the roofer to fix my sink. Why is it always HL fault that a supplier builds a crappy part. The next item about the Big 3 or any auto manufacturer. For the most part they build their own parts to their specs. They dont buy their engines from Lippert or Dometic. They buy their tires from whom ever. So unless you have ever read your owner manual in your car...most people don't, the tires are warrentied buy the tire manfacturer. NOT FORD...NOT GM...NOT CHRYSLER. I bet that Ford has their own stamping plant to make their own wheels. Cars and trucks ARE not the same as an RV. Never have or will ever be. Everybody bought a coach from someone, be it HL or a SOB. Everyone gets a warrenty manual. It states what is warrentied and by who and for how long. If any manufacturer of anything will repair or replace any failed part after the warrenty expires, then consider yourself very lucky.

I never have understood why a person would buy something as expensive as a RV and never spend anytime looking it over. Have you never washed your roof? Have you ever checked all the caulking?? Have you never crawled under it and looked around? If you haven't, then shame on you and then after the warrenty is up you then look it over?? I bet that there is not person in this world that has not used an eraser at sometime. But if you have never made a mistake....then you better start building RV's. Cause I want one.

Jim stole my way of checking "tracking" with the OL' water trick. It does work very well. Just need a long flat piece of concrete and enough water to drive thru to wet the tires all the way around.

danemayer

Whether 1 year, 2 years, or longer, warranties eventually expire and defects found after warranty expiration are rarely covered - on any product in any industry, unless you have some type of extended warranty purchased at additional cost.

In the case of autos, apart from our tow vehicle, I choose Toyota products because they almost never break. But even though they almost never break, I still buy the 7 year/70,000 mile extended warranty from Toyota because repairs can be very expensive and I don't care to self-insure. On several of the extended warranty policies over the years, I never had a claim. Oh well, that's how it works sometimes.

traveler44

You might want to measure between hub caps on each side. There should be less than 1/4" difference between the two sides. I'm not sure how they measure to see if the frame is square to the axles but I'm sure there is a way to do it. I think I would pull into a big level parking lot and walk as far back as possible and see if the truck looks straight to the trailer. Do you show any excessive tire wear? Tom M.

jetjarv

Thanks for everyone's advise. I will call hl when I return home. Appreciate your time. Hope for the best but since there is no water leaks I will prob try to live with it if no love from hl. Non tire wear on the tracking, I will try to follow it down the road.

Regards to the microwave, the dealer sent it to the manufacturer in Florida, I think, 2 times at their expense. Not sure how the slide was billed.

If I get any help from hl I will let ya know what happened.

Thanks again.