Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lousy roof! 2 years old...seriously????

1. Print this Post   #1

Lousy roof! 2 years old...seriously????

Installed a couple of vent covers to find out I have a soft spot in my roof! Dealer comes to look at it doesn't see where water would come in. They suspect that the roofing plywood has shifted somehow so that portion isn't supported properly. Here's the kicker. It's a 2009! I bought it in November of 09. I suspect that it was never correctly installed when it came from the factory. Now we discover it after the warranty has expired. Are these trailers seriously only warrantied for 1 year?????? I bought the aluminum trailer because they advertise that they are stronger and hold up better!

Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Heartland should pay for this. It is obvious that nothing has damaged it from me. This should not happen. Even 20 year old trailer's roofs this would be an abnormally. No water damage...no roof damage.....this trailer missed quality control.....they even had to re-rig the slide after a few months. 3rd microwave. And I don't think it follows the truck perfectly.

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Re: Lousy roof! 2 years old...seriously????

OK, have you Called HL service and talked to them about it yet. If you have not...take some pix and call them. Here's the issue, I get it that your upset, but going off on a person at HL may not get you very far. Call and calmly explain what has happened and NICELY ask for help and you just might possibly get some help. Make sure that you have your VIN# handy. It's good to vent...but this forum does not belong to HL. Any help you receive will be thru HL.

Now let me understand some things....you have a problem with the roof. You also have/had a problem with microwaves, that HL does not make BTW. You also think that the trailer does not track correctly. So....have you had your dealer look at these things while still in warrenty, besides the microwave??

BTW, what brand of HL coach do you have?? Post some pix so we can all see what you are refering to. Good luck
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

3. Print this Post   #3

Dealer was great with the microwave oven and they fixed my slide. All during warranty.

I have the north trail 31qbs.

Haven't mentioned to the dealer about the tracking issue. I just noticed it with the new truck because the mirrors slide out so far. Tried my best to parallel a straight solid line. If it is indeed not tracking true I guesstimate it is 6 to 8" on a 33' trailer. I don't know if that is a big deal or not. I'm guessing not. I didn't like the bias that came with it and the guy at the tire shop didn't notice any odd wear. I don't go far though anyways.

Thanks for the advise.

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bob&Patty View Post
    OK, have you Called HL service and talked to them about it yet. If you have not...take some pix and call them. Here's the issue, I get it that your upset, but going off on a person at HL may not get you very far. Call and calmly explain what has happened and NICELY ask for help and you just might possibly get some help. Make sure that you have your VIN# handy. It's good to vent...but this forum does not belong to HL. Any help you receive will be thru HL.

Now let me understand some things....you have a problem with the roof. You also have/had a problem with microwaves, that HL does not make BTW. You also think that the trailer does not track correctly. So....have you had your dealer look at these things while still in warrenty, besides the microwave??

BTW, what brand of HL coach do you have?? Post some pix so we can all see what you are refering to. Good luck
    Bob gave you some excellent advice about calling Heartland and being nice and explaining your problem. Being an ex-service manager I can vouch for being nice. Please post some pictures if you can. Also did you remove the frame for the vent covers and find this or what?

Don't know what the slide problem or microwave problem has to do with this problem though. You said they were fixed under warranty.

Jim M

5. Print this Post   #5

Just an observation from a window of my house. And installing camco vent cover.

As far as the micro and slide issues; I don't think I should have had to spend my time driving to my dealer. The trailer should have never left the factory in that condition. Luckily I have a very helpful dealer. I think they are going way above and beyond to help me out. I have not talked to heartland yet, unfortunately it is out of warranty.....I think I know the outcome but I will give it a shot. Thanks

6. Print this Post   #6

I have saw Heartland step up to the plate for alot of people out of warranty but going to them with an attitude won't help. As far as leaving the factory with the other problems you had they don't make the micro's and the slides along with the rest of the trailer take a beating on the highways we run on. Remember you can catch more bee's with honey.
    Neil, Sharon & Auggie ( Daisy R.I.P. Sept. 2016 19 yrs old )
    16 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax-Allison:
    08 Sundance 2900 MK
    Owners Club # 1044
    Goshen 2009
    Ill 2009
    Ill 2010
    Goshen 2011
    Ill 2011
    Tenn - Ky 2012
    Goshen 2013 Ill 2013 Ill 2014 Ill 2015 North Central Reginal Rally Ill. 2016 Goshen 2017

7. Print this Post   #7
    Past Heartland Ambassador kakampers's Avatar

As for the tracking issue...trying to determine that with mirrors does not work. The only way to tell if you're tracking correctly, is to have someone follow as you tow...then they can see if it's doglegging, or not....
    Ken & Kathy - H.O.C. #1077
    '17 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD DRW Long Bed w/Nav, Sunroof, Curt 24Q, WIFI, Sprayed liner, Deep Ruby Metallic!
    '2013 Landmark Key Largo, Fullbody Paint and virtually every option PLUS Mor Ryde IS and Disc Brakes - Our Dream Coach!!

8. Print this Post   #8
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Another way to check on the tracking is to drive the trailer through wet pavement on to dry and look at the tracks. If you can see 4 separate tracks while driving straight you are not tracking right.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

9. Print this Post   #9
    Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired 2psnapod2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmgratz View Post
    Another way to check on the tracking is to drive the trailer through wet pavement on to dry and look at the tracks. If you can see 4 separate tracks while driving straight you are not tracking right.
    Unless you are using a DRW TV.
    Michael and (Kelly) Barnett
    San Antonio TX
    HOC @1817
    2010 Ford F350 6.4 liter Lariat Dually FX4

2011 Inaugural MS/AL Rally- Newsite, MS
    2012 GA Rally- Elko, GA
    2012 Spring MS/AL Rally- Gulf Shore, AL

Follow us on our adventures!!! Our Blog Website is http://rvthereyetchronicles.wordpress.com/

10. Print this Post   #10

This business about Heartland not making the microwave or slides is baloney. Think about it, if you took your new ford back to the dealer because a wheel was warped and they told you to go see the company that made the wheel you wouldn't be very happy. Heartland makes a complete product and they should stand behind that product. If people are having problems with a unit a vendor supplied, Heartland must buy enough of these units to have some clout with the vendors. Just my opinion.
    Dan & Bonnie
    Heartland Club Member #1294
    Tasha/4Yr. Old Golden Doodle
    Summer Hideout - St. Albans, Vt
    Winter - Palm Harbor, Fl.
    Could be anywhere in between
    2008 Chevrolet 3500 DRW LTZ Diesel
    2010 BigHorn 3580 RL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast