ATF: Greystone - Bike rack on rear bumper

We are about to take delivery of a 2011 Greystone 29MK, and would like to mount a Swagman XTC-2 bike rack on the rear bumper (2 bikes of typical weight). The Greystone brochure printed 4/10 includes the statement, "The diamond-plated steel bumper provides a great place for bike racks". However, I've read differing opinions in forums as to whether most trailer bumpers can withstand the torsion exerted by a bike rack. What is Heartland's recommendation?

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Don't know Heartlands position, but I have had 4 different units including my current one with a bike rack on the bumper and have never had any kind of problem. Much better than ladder racks which I tried once and never again.

We went through this same decision making process with our 2011 Greystone 29MK. Factory said they would not recomend a bumper hitch, refered me to the frame mfg. and they said anything that I would do or have done that could be attributed to a frame failure would not be covered by a warranty. So, when we were on a two week trip, we looked at similar units by oter mfg. and came to the conclusion that we would be safe to put on a bumper hitch. We put on one by Curt (says for 4" bumper but was able to get it over the diamond plate by using a jack and rubber hammer). We have been transporting 2 bikes on it with a rack that hold 4. No problem so far. A local weld shop wanted $450 to fabricate a hitch welded and attached to the frame (ouch). It will be interesting to see how Heartland replies. This seems to be a very popular discussion.
Dennis1948

bowhunt73

This is also a main concern for me with my new 33CK. Dealer said the bumpers are rated at 150lbs and that a receiver voids the warranty. Well, where the heck are we supposed to put our bikes. #1 - Back of the truck. To dangerous even tied down due to the components of the 5er hitch. #2 - Stack my five bikes in the bunk slide. I'm sure that's not good for the slide motor. I need to transport 4 and soon 5 bikes. Front receiver on truck is not an option.

Heartland.....we need a solution that is acceptable by you / Lippert and practical. This shouldn't be our fight if the issue is with Lippert. The only solution that I have in front of me is the bolt on thing mentioned above and a bike rack.....roll the dice.

Thanks.

Randall

Geodude

I carry one bike lying in the truck bed ahead of the hitch, and one lying behind. The one behind is a road bike and it goes in fully assembled. The one ahead of the hitch needs to have the front wheel removed. My bed is the 6.75 version. Then I have four Thule trays for the roof of the truck.

It all works fairly well, but I'd really love to have a factory-built slide-out bike tray on the rear of the trailer. Most other racks I have seen have been very prone to failure due to light frames, no real trailer suspension and the constant whiplash effect way out on the rear of the trailer.

future3490owner

This is also a main concern for me with my new 33CK. Dealer said the bumpers are rated at 150lbs and that a receiver voids the warranty. Well, where the heck are we supposed to put our bikes. #1 - Back of the truck. To dangerous even tied down due to the components of the 5er hitch. #2 - Stack my five bikes in the bunk slide. I'm sure that's not good for the slide motor. I need to transport 4 and soon 5 bikes. Front receiver on truck is not an option.

Heartland.....we need a solution that is acceptable by you / Lippert and practical. This shouldn't be our fight if the issue is with Lippert. The only solution that I have in front of me is the bolt on thing mentioned above and a bike rack.....roll the dice.

Thanks.

Randall

what if you picked up a frame mounted hitch and installed it on the camper frame, just like you would do for a car or a truck. Than you can use a receiver mounted bike rack or a cargo carrier that mounts in the receiver......thats the route i am planning.....i have the bike rack already for the truck....

bowhunt73

I had a receiver installed on my last unit. Worked great. The welder had to really reinforce the bumper to the frame. I wonder how much all of that reinforcement cost me in weight. I never thought of a standard hitch. Did you find one that matches up to the frame?

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Our "journey" began Feb of 2011 when we pick up our BC.....I started researching bike rack options as the DW did NOT want the bikes inside ANYMORE. I also have a 2" receiver Yakima bike rack that I use with 2 other vehicles (holds 4 bikes)......I wanted to use it with our BC too. This link shows pics of options and my final solution......the week after our "warranty" ran out! :cool:

Bike Hitch Options

caissiel

I had been using a bike rack on the previos trailer for 13 years with similar rear bumper we have on the BC. It.s a rack I made to mount in the truck 2In receiver so I had to installl one on the trailer from day one. So I used the bumper and the stabilizer bar that has no load while traveling and bolted a 2in receiver bar 3 years ago and over 15k miles without any issues while carrying our 2 bikes. I don't believe that just bumper attached racks is a good idea as twisting forces created would cause trouble, so just straight down foces on the bumper is much better.

westcostguz

I will be fabricating a welded headache to the rear frame somewhere / pricey but worth it / Elkridge has a rack option / would have went that way but too long of a bunkhouse, 2012 33 ck on order , 12 pack dinette / can't wait , happy rving.

jimtoo

I will be fabricating a welded headache to the rear frame somewhere / pricey but worth it / Elkridge has a rack option / would have went that way but too long of a bunkhouse, 2012 33 ck on order , 12 pack dinette / can't wait , happy rving.

Hi westcostguz,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Please post some pictures of you build and installation of your bike rack. Someone is always making changes and also helping others with their changes.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M