how long will the generator run?

blocker

I have a cyclone 3812 with an Onan 5500. We will be boon docking for the first time this weekend and wondering if we could run all weekend on a tank of gas. Thanks for the help.

Todd

danemayer

From Onan 5500 Spec sheet:
Gasoline Generator
No load: .3 gal/hr
1/2 load: .6 gal/hr
Full load: .9 gal/hr

So if you want to run continuously with a no load for 48 hours, that's 48 * .3 = 14.4 gallons. Of course there's always some load: a couple of amps to run the power converter to charge the battery, for example. The more electricity you use, the greater the load and the more gas used.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You will need extra gas for 48 hours of steady running. Get a 5 gal dirt bike plastic gas can....fill it and take it with you.

beasleyrl

We have done this a few times with our 3912 and as mentioned, it really depends on the load you put on the generator. If we are only running 1 AC (or the furnace), typically we have no problem running from a Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon straight through. I will also note best wishes if you try and fill the tank with a portable gas can. With the angle of the fill slot, you will need a lot of patience and stamina to hold the fill can to the hole and keep it from spilling all over the place.

Wmnmy

And don't forget when fuel get to 1/4 genny shuts off automatically I found out in 120 deg weather haha

TwoGypsies

I will also note best wishes if you try and fill the tank with a portable gas can. With the angle of the fill slot, you will need a lot of patience and stamina to hold the fill can to the hole and keep it from spilling all over the place.

x2! It's very awkward to fill. I borrowed a funnel that worked fairly well, but haven't been able to find one like it in the stores. It has a long spout that bends but is not too flexible. I'll post a picture but not today. I want to add a clip on the side of the trailer to hold it up and use one less hand.
Our 3812 does not have the 'extra' 20 gallons some models have, just the 30 gallon tank. We got 3 nites out of it running 1 AC with no problems, something like 6 gallons per nite. This would have been about 10 hours per nite, pretty much in line with the Onan manual quoted above.

blocker

Thanks for all the replies. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend so maybe we won't have to run the generator 24/7. I think I'll carry extra fuel and funnel JIC. Kinda makes me wish I had got the extra fuel tank.

trippingt

And don't forget when fuel get to 1/4 genny shuts off automatically I found out in 120 deg weather haha

This is good information. Does anyone know why it shuts off with 1/4 tank? I am thinking about adding another tank since I have two air conditioners and ran out after about 30 hours.

Wmnmy

When I did my pdi the mechanic who walked me through said ,it was some kinda automatic feature for mt 4000 series genny mine did it while I was fishing I filled up my fuel tank and it cranked right up go figure

Wmnmy

I wish mine didn't but when I fuel up toys I can empty tank I have the onan 4000 series 2812

traveler44

Don't mean to hijack the thread but after looking up the Onan 5500 I see they have the propane model too. Anybody know how much fuel they use? Never mind I found a spec sheet. Thanks Tom M.

blocker

Thought I would give ya"ll an update. Due to our 3 year old getting sick on friday our weekend started a day late so we had plenty of fuel. We ran the generator non stop from the time we left home to the time we got back, running everything as if we were hooked to a 50 amp service, including both a/c units. when I turned the generator off it had ran for 30 hours and had used almost 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Todd