Thread: Rubber roof tear

1. Print this Post   #1

Rubber roof tear

While cleaning roof on my Northtrail 28BRS to put it away for winter I noticed a number of small tears or slits along the edge of the roof on both sides. They mostly run a couple of inches.

It is right on the edge where it connects to the side.

I know there are things to patch holes and tears, but should I be concern that this can get worse later on. Is this something normal? It's less than a year old.

Looking for any input before I call later this week from some of you more experienced ones.

Thanks

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Rubber roof tear

Quote Originally Posted by Sakool View Post
    While cleaning roof on my Northtrail 28BRS to put it away for winter I noticed a number of small tears or slits along the edge of the roof on both sides. They mostly run a couple of inches.

It is right on the edge where it connects to the side.

I know there are things to patch holes and tears, but should I be concern that this can get worse later on. Is this something normal? It's less than a year old.

Looking for any input before I call later this week from some of you more experienced ones.

Thanks
    On a 2011...I would say it's definitely not normal..I would contact Heartland. I'll assume you are still under warranty. There are products that can be used, such as Eternabond. And yes, I would have to say it is going to get worse, since it is 2011 and already exhibiting this problem...Call Heartland at 877.262.8032..

Good luck,
    Larry
    Larry, Suzan and our two furry friends
    2008 3400RE Bighorn
    Trail-Air Hitch, Solar Panel, Onan 5500 Gen. Set
    15,000 plus 13,500 BTU AC, Honeywell Thermostat.
    2012 F350 6.7 PSD, 4X4, Ultimate Lariat upgrade, Crew Cab LWB, 3.73Gears,
    Satellite Radio, Navigation, Dexter 7000# axle replacement with "never fail bushings". 507 TSM tire monitoring system.

3. Print this Post   #3

Yeah, get it checked for sure. I had an "oops" in Colorado and tore a small section of the rubber on my 2011. Fortunately my insurance took care of it and I asked the adjustor if they were going to pay to patch it. Nope, they paid to replace the entire roof and he said they really hadn't found a good way to patch them. I now have a brand new roof with a twelve year warranty.
    Peg and Mike Finnegan, Faithful Traveling Companion Cameo (RIP), adopted furry friend Molly, San Angelo, TX
    US Army Retired, Vietnam Vet, 2017 F350 King Ranch,
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh.
    Rallies:
    2011: Spring, Canton, TX; 2012: Spring, TX; Thackerville, OK (X2)
    2013; Santo, Montgomery, Canton, Beaumont, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2014; Carthage, Mo; Amana, IA; Santo, Bullard, Montgomery, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2015; Goshen, IN; Kinder, New Iberia, LA; Boerne, Kerrville, Sweetheart, Santo, TX; Durant (X2), OK; Carthage, MO
    2016; Sweetheart, Quanah, Weatherford, Canton, Ingram, TX; Henderson, LA; Durant, OK; Mountain View, AR; Branson, Plattes Ville, MO: Las Vegas, NV
    2017; Sweetheart, Alpine, Montgomery, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Goshen, IN; Kinder, LA; Vinita, Oklahoma City, OK.

2018; Abilene, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Kinder, LA; Eufala, Oklahoma City, OK.

4. Print this Post   #4
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pegmikef View Post
    Yeah, get it checked for sure. I had an "oops" in Colorado and tore a small section of the rubber on my 2011. Fortunately my insurance took care of it and I asked the adjustor if they were going to pay to patch it. Nope, they paid to replace the entire roof and he said they really hadn't found a good way to patch them. I now have a brand new roof with a twelve year warranty.
    Wow!!! It almost pays you to scape your roof on a tree ... LOL (just joking as that is a real pita)
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by jmgratz View Post
    ... LOL (just joking as that is a real pita)
    Actually it was the most painless claim I have ever had. I called Farmers claim hotline, they hooked me up with an adjuster in Michigan, I sent him pictures of the damage, he did an estimate based on the pictures and sent me a check. I went to a local outfit that kind of specializes in insurance roof replacement, he did an estimate based on the pictures, was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than my check, replaced my roof in two days. The whole deal only took three weeks. It would have been quicker, but I wanted to have the insurance check in my hand before starting the replacement.
    Peg and Mike Finnegan, Faithful Traveling Companion Cameo (RIP), adopted furry friend Molly, San Angelo, TX
    US Army Retired, Vietnam Vet, 2017 F350 King Ranch,
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh.
    Rallies:
    2011: Spring, Canton, TX; 2012: Spring, TX; Thackerville, OK (X2)
    2013; Santo, Montgomery, Canton, Beaumont, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2014; Carthage, Mo; Amana, IA; Santo, Bullard, Montgomery, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2015; Goshen, IN; Kinder, New Iberia, LA; Boerne, Kerrville, Sweetheart, Santo, TX; Durant (X2), OK; Carthage, MO
    2016; Sweetheart, Quanah, Weatherford, Canton, Ingram, TX; Henderson, LA; Durant, OK; Mountain View, AR; Branson, Plattes Ville, MO: Las Vegas, NV
    2017; Sweetheart, Alpine, Montgomery, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Goshen, IN; Kinder, LA; Vinita, Oklahoma City, OK.

2018; Abilene, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Kinder, LA; Eufala, Oklahoma City, OK.