light switches

phoenix50

Has anyone installed a light switch in the front baggage compartment. It is a little difficult to reach in and then up to turn on light swich? Also how about a lower switch for the reading lights above the bed?

GOTTOYS

I agree. Never thought about it but I bet you could run the wires down the wall and cover them with some wire mold, which is a plastic or metal strip made to cover wires that are run like that..Another project for this Winter..Don

bighorn3370

I have been thinking about adding a switch in the storage compartment, but I have not found a rocker or toggle switch holder that I think would hold up and/or it would be in the way. Ernie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, it's been done. I added one this summer. I used a regular 120V light switch and mounted it to the frame at the side of the compartment door. The wires to the overhead light were just hanging there, so rerouting one of them was simple to install the switch in the circuit. Then just leave the overhead fixture switch in the on position.

I've picked up a 12V lighted indicator switch to replace the 120V one, but need to modify a box cover to fit it.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Swapped all of our wiring around in both front compartments, relocated the lights and put switches by each door. Just used a small rocker with cover plate. DH had to make small brackets to mount them on since by the door there isn't anything to mount them on. It's much better not to actually have to crawl into the compartment to find the light.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Never thought about this....but I bet a person could use a automobile type door jamb switch to turn the lite on and off. Leave the 12V + wire hot all the time and use the switch to complete the ground side. Need to work on this.