Big Country - Jensen stereo removal

macmuta

Has anyone removed the Jensen receiver in their 3450 BC. I want to get to the back of the receiver to verify audio input connections so that I can connect the TV to it. What is the secret to removing the Jensen Receiver. Please feel free to respond if you know the answer.

caissiel

Re: ATF: Big Country - Jensen stereo removal

I have an 09 with the Jenson CD/DVD and have removed many times.
Just remove the 4 screw that are holding the unit in and pull it out slowly.
On Model 970 you need to remove the trim ring before the screws can be accessed

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Yes - you can remove the Jensen to get to the back of the unit. There is a face plate around the border that just snaps off/on. After removing the face plate, you will find 4 screws that hold the unit in place. We have had the unit in/out several times trying to figure out how to run the blue ray thru the surround sound which so far doesn't look like it can be done. Good luck.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Our 3450TS came wired to the Jensen system. If you haven't done so already, be sure to try all the audio options on the TV menu. Maybe it is a simple thing!

pegmikef

A thin bladed flat screwdriver or knife can be used to carefully pry off the trim piece to access the screws. There are several pigtails that were well marked on mine so it is easy to make your connections. The had the audio in connections hooked to the audio in connections on the TV so I had to swap them for the right setup.

macmuta

Thanks to everyone for replying. Mission accomplished. Now have the audio comming from all speakers when using the TV or DVD.

SGeohagan

Sounds like I need to do something similar in my BH. Sound out of the Sharp TV is not good. DH complains when he can't hear. I'll check it out next week when we pull it out and I can get to it. Love the info I get from this forum.

Suzy

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Congratulations!!! Question-do you have the Sharp or Toshiba TV??? We just fixed someone else Big Horn to use all speakers with the Jensen unit by using the earphone jacks on the back of the Sharp to the aux. plug on the back of the Jensen. Our BC came with a Toshita TV and there is no earphone jacks on it. Has any else fix this problem with a Toshiba TV?

mgdg

I had to connect the aux wire so that when you want to use the surround with the TV it will work.  The Jensen isn`t a bad receiver but the speakers suck, I want to replace them with 100 watt or more speakers.  Does anyone know the watts on the receiver itself?? Or were to get higher watt Jensens that match the ones we have.

busted2341

Ok Can someone help me with the electronics? I pulled the Jenson unit out, it is the 970 and I pulled out the unit. Can't get it to work with my Toshiba TV. Even the Menu on the remote for the Jenson will not open up the menu. Do not understand it? Any help on what I can do to make the surround sound work for the TV sure would be helpful..

archbarb

Ok Can someone help me with the electronics? I pulled the Jenson unit out, it is the 970 and I pulled out the unit. Can't get it to work with my Toshiba TV. Even the Menu on the remote for the Jenson will not open up the menu. Do not understand it? Any help on what I can do to make the surround sound work for the TV sure would be helpful..

If I understand correctly you are wanting to play your TV thru the ceiling speakers. If so with the Toshiba to the Jensen your will need to get a Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter with optical cable from the back of the TV to the input on the converter, then RCA cable from output on converter to aux 1,2 or 3 on Jensen. The Jensen will not accept the digital audio straight from the TV.

Archie

Attachments

• amazon.jpg
    amazon.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 60

busted2341

Oh My that seems complicated. Looks like I am just going to have to get by...thanx for the help...maybe I can get ambitious.

SGeohagan

I used a long cable (like for an ipod) and went from aux on the front of the Jensen to the input on the TV. It cuts the TV speakers off, but plays thru the surround sound.

Suzy

happykraut

I had my BC at the dealer to get them to hook up my Toshiba to the surround sound system. They said it could not be done with the Toshiba.

tcfake613

I just did my parents BigHorn 3055. They have the Panasonic System (not Jensen) but I believe it is the same connection. These three parts from monoprice.com will do the trick:
Part # 2947
Coaxial (RCA) to Optical Toslink Digital Audio Converter
$11.72
$11.72
Part # 2743
3ft Coaxial Audio/Video RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video)
$0.95
$0.95
Part # 3395
1.5ft Optical Toslink 5.0mm OD Audio Cable
$1.49
$1.49

His TV sounds pretty good through the surround spekers now.

For the life of me (and this isn't just a Heartland complaint because my Cedar Creek was the same way), I can't figure out why RV manufacturers don't make these connections. The other thing to do is absolutely make sure they use an HDMI cable from the DVD player to the TV. Most use a RED/WHITE/YELLOW RCA cable for the connection which has the absolute worst video quality. A $5.00 HDMI cable will make your DVD picture much more enjoyable.

And while I'm at it factory guys.... how about ditching the DVD players in favor of Blu-Ray?? It is almost 2012 you know and Blu-Ray is now cheap. I think every RV company should hire a full-time A/V designer to engineer these rigs properly.

I am wholeheartedly volunteering for the position!:rolleyes:

tcfake613

As a follow up to my response, I visited www.jensenrvdirect.com to look at the specs of the Jensen units. It appears (at least it says so in the specs) that this unit has both an OPTICAL audio and COAXIAL audio input. I think the Toshiba TV has one or the other. You may only need one of the cables above depending on the output of the TV... either part # 2743 or part # 3395. Just verify which unit you have on the Jensen website and buy the appropriate cable.

happykraut

Just ordered those parts. Hope your lash up will work. Thanks for supplying the URL and part numbers.

happykraut

PLEASE help. Hooked it up with the recommended parts, but still no surround. I tried the white and the red RCA cables. This is on a Toshiba TV and the Jensen. I tried both AUX 1 and 2 as shown in the Jensen display. I don't believe it has AUX 2 inputs. Any thoughts? The wife would be real grateful to you. Thanks.

archbarb

PLEASE help. Hooked it up with the recommended parts, but still no surround. I tried the white and the red RCA cables. This is on a Toshiba TV and the Jensen. I tried both AUX 1 and 2 as shown in the Jensen display. I don't believe it has AUX 2 inputs. Any thoughts? The wife would be real grateful to you. Thanks.

Read post #11!!!!!

Archie